• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Promoted Article Edmunds Event Tracker on our web site(s)

Sep 23, 2022
Awards
First Name
Robert
To gauge attribution, Edmunds has Event trackers on our web site(s).
Now that they are owned by CarMax (lock-stock&barrel), I have been told that the visitor data (like IP address) is handed off to CarMax, who in turn markets their like-inventory to my web site visitors. According to their Privacy Policy they can do this. Anybody have more insight into this?? If true, I find it very unethical.
I have removed the event trackers until I get more information on this.

Hello Robert and welcome to the forum.

I think you are wise to look into it and understand it, but I highly doubt that Edmunds is passing visitor data to your competitors, even if they are owned by them. That would be against Edmund's best interests even if the TOC's appear to permit it. I know a few people over there and I just don't see them allowing something with such a detrimental potential effect on their core business.

For what it's worth, I worked for a company with significant data assets and tier 3 relationships. When we were acquired, the data was not shared with the new owner in any new ways. We had a walled garden that was critical to preserve our tier 3 operations. I'd guess that it is the same for Edmunds.

Have you talked to your Edmunds Rep directly? I think you may get the best answer to your question from them.

Again, welcome!

I am constantly being told by Edmunds reps that no data is being shared from Edmunds to CarMax. I believe them, kinda.

However, if I was a CarMax shareholder -- and CarMax spent $400M+ -- I would be asking what is the value in the company we just purchased if we are not going to use the data for our gain??

Reactions: Ryan Everson