• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Email a friend leads

Paul Bubar

Rust & Dust
Nov 9, 2009
First Name
Paul
Good morning everyone,

I was just wondering how you all handle "Email a Friend" leads. I'm not sure how to handle them because I feel I am being intrusive if I respond to them. Any thoughts?

Also on a side note....

Does anyone know of a good source to get email templates? I would like to setup a few more tmeplates for different situations and I don't really like GM's template ideas.

Thank you!

I would feel more comfortable doing that but there is never a phone number just an email.

Here is an example of how the lead looks to me:

Email Friend Vehicle - Dealer.Com Website: 2007 Pontiac G6
Submitted yesterday @ 10:13pm

customer comments: Sent by: carrie ernst ([email protected]) with comments: pontiac g6source:Email Friend Vehicle - Dealer.Com Websiteemail:[email protected] address:208.79.15.130vehicle info: 2007 Pontiac G6 with 31,767 miles stock #: 6359A price:$11,585 classification:Primarybody style:Sedantransmission:4-Speed Automatic with Overdriveinterior color:Ebonyexterior color:Red

I will send a email something along these lines" I noticed you maybe interested in our xyz here at abc motors. Please feel free to email or call me directly with any questions." I will pass along a little info about the vehicle( One onwer, carfax, service history etc..) and a suggest a few others may them clickable links to the pre-owned/new inventory( you may also lbe interested in this one) . The goal is to help not to sell. I will send the email to both people. Sometimes they need a little push to get them going. I have found the earlier we get involved in the process the easier it is to retain them as a customer.

Email a friend leads are definitely gray areas. I like the fact that our websites allow them and most companies also have rules, you can customize, as to how you handle them. Most of the "email a friend" leads are from the buyer of the car asking his or her spouse, friend, or parent what he or she thinks.

In the past, I have approached these as full blown leads to find that people are very upset when you contact them. Today, we just watch. We do not contact these "leads" - they're not really leads. I know, it is hard to avoid the temptation of contacting someone who says "Hey Dad - this is the car I want to buy and the price is right - do you think I can afford the financing - my bank said 6%". I have done the calculations on a few of these and they're massive deals at the asking price plus converting the customer to 5.5% APR. It is really hard to lay off of those, but I'd rather lay off and get the deal than jump in and have a 90% chance of blowing the deal. These people did not raise their hand and say "contact me".

Email a friend leads are definitely gray areas. I like the fact that our websites allow them and most companies also have rules, you can customize, as to how you handle them. Most of the "email a friend" leads are from the buyer of the car asking his or her spouse, friend, or parent what he or she thinks.

In the past, I have approached these as full blown leads to find that people are very upset when you contact them. Today, we just watch. We do not contact these "leads" - they're not really leads. I know, it is hard to avoid the temptation of contacting someone who says "Hey Dad - this is the car I want to buy and the price is right - do you think I can afford the financing - my bank said 6%". I have done the calculations on a few of these and they're massive deals at the asking price plus converting the customer to 5.5% APR. It is really hard to lay off of those, but I'd rather lay off and get the deal than jump in and have a 90% chance of blowing the deal. These people did not raise their hand and say "contact me".

Exactly my thoughts. I feel like they put these leads in thinking that it is not being seen by anyone. I just wasn't sure how to "properly" treat these leads. I'm sure everyone does it differently so there may not be a true answer.

Definitely need to be careful here. In the past I have sat on the side line with these leads. Too many people find it to be intrusive if you would contact them out of the blue.

Be nice to find a backdoor in without them knowing it.

Maybe you could have your Display/Banner provider and website provider work together to include a re-target pixel in the Email to a Friend email. Now you could track them over the next 90 days, serving up your banner ad as then visit other websites within your providers network. hummm - doubt it would be worth the effort but I bet you could do it.

How about an auto responder a few days out from the service provider (Dealer.com) in this case.

A warm and fuzzy that says.

-------------
Our records indicate that a vehicle was recommended to you 3 days ago. To provide you with the best shopping experience would you please select the option below that best describes your vehicle purchasing status.

The Car Looks Great, Price Looks Right, Please have someone from #Dealership Name# Contact Me.

Close but no cigar.. Show Me Additional #Year#, #Make#, #Model#s available in the #Delaership Name# Inventory.

I purchased another vehicle. Thanks for following up though! (link to Survey why they bought elsewhere and coupons for your service department)

As always you can reach out directly to #Dealership Name# @ #Dealership Number# with any follow-up questions:

#Dealership Name#
#Dealership Address#
#Dealership City#, #Dealership State#, #Dealership Zip#
Driving Directions

Follow us on facebook.. twitter.. etc etc. Content goes here..

We do something like this for all of our DealerFire Internet Coupons. Works great. More of a concierge service than a direct call from the dealer.

All the best - Eric