• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
The internet shopping process for real estate shopping is very similar to used cars.
I like the strategy of KiwiDan's choreography.

1. The hook
- 2 external (front and rear 3/4)
- 2 internal ( wide angle dash and front seats)
- 1-3 high value features

2. External
A sequence of all wide angle external photos with key close shots

3. Internal
A sequence of wide angle internal photos with key close ups

4. The rest
All other close up photos

Reactions: KiwiDan
I've run GA4 reporting for @joe.pistell for a few years now, and when he made merchandising improvements, injecting interior photos early, adding text to explain options, his conversion rate quickly went to 2-3X our conversion rate benchmark (math=forms, calls, chats divided by sessions). Tough to argue against these results.

TY George,
I have 6 stores in beta.
  • 1 store broke a 10 year sales record (120 months of sales)
  • 3 other stores set Best Month Ever.
In my circles, March was a strong used car month, but, I like what I am seeing... I may be onto something :) I need 5 more dealers to join in the beta and help me validate this. Anyone game?

Joe Pistell
Founder, AutoMagic Labs
[email protected]
JC AutoMagic Inc | Automotive Dealership Analytics

Last edited:
@Alex Snyder, you just spent MONTHS car shopping with your wife, nothing is more valuable than wearing that hat.

Thoughts?

Nothing has been more enlightening in my career than becoming a customer. I look back at the stupid shit I did as a dealer in the name of making the process easier for my coworkers without regard to the customer experience and cringe. Every time I walk into a dealership, the signs of this approach blaze like fire. I see it everywhere. It is apparent on websites, too.

Let me be a little more constructive around online merchandising.

Photos are key. Period. End of story. Autotrader, Cars.com, and CarGurus work when you have good photos of NEW and used cars. No photo, no click. I will click on a VDP without a photo when I'm super low in the funnel. That means I have made a decision that I am going to visit your dealership in person and I'm trying to determine what OTHER vehicles you have for me to look at. You already hooked me with a car that had decent photos.

The part about decent photos is the thumbnail needs to be appealing in the sea of cars within a VLP. A 3/4 shot with the wheel turned is my preference. When it is a side profile or direct front view my scanning is disrupted and I find that annoying. I try not to reward that behavior by skipping past it. I don't like being annoyed, especially when I'm enjoying the hunt for my next car!

Interior photos! Take more interior shots. I just bought 2 cars and am still hunting for my unicorn "overlander." I'm always wanting to see the underside of the used car for any rust, what is the condition of all the seats (including a third row), what is the condition of the steering wheel, what buttons are on the car help me understand what package or options the car has.

What you should consider in vehicle photography:
  • VIN explosions and data sources are different from one website to another. Autotrader may use Chrome as a vehicle decoder while another site will use DataOne. Those companies view data differently and how they give it back to the website tech needs to be interpreted. Interpretations can vary significantly between CarGurus and Cars.com or Dealer.com and DealerInspire. At the end of the day, those interpretations are made by humans with engineering jobs. They may have been on a deadline... who knows. The point is, you cannot rely on data to give a shopper any confidence. Photos sell your car for you.
  • Your online shopper is an expert. Assume they have looked at dozens of cars online and know how to spot options and packages. By taking better photos of buttons you'll be helping these people in a big way. They will appreciate it! Yes, they will become dumb when they become a physical shopper.
  • Take photos of the dash buttons on the left side of the steering wheel - these are missed way too often.
  • Take photos of the buttons on the roof and if there are any in the second row (like around a DVD player screen)
  • Take multiple photos of the center stack to include the radio, nav screen, climate control, seat climate control, center shifter, all the way to the center console.
  • Always take a photo of the dash with the car on showing the miles
These bullets may sound like a lot, but I'm only talking about a few more interior images here. Try it, you'll find this ask isn't a big process change.

Reactions: Aimee
Nothing has been more enlightening in my career than becoming a customer. I look back at the stupid shit I did as a dealer in the name of making the process easier for my coworkers without regard to the customer experience and cringe. Every time I walk into a dealership, the signs of this approach blaze like fire. I see it everywhere. It is apparent on websites, too.

Let me be a little more constructive around online merchandising.

Photos are key. Period. End of story. Autotrader, Cars.com, and CarGurus work when you have good photos of NEW and used cars. No photo, no click. I will click on a VDP without a photo when I'm super low in the funnel. That means I have made a decision that I am going to visit your dealership in person and I'm trying to determine what OTHER vehicles you have for me to look at. You already hooked me with a car that had decent photos.

The part about decent photos is the thumbnail needs to be appealing in the sea of cars within a VLP. A 3/4 shot with the wheel turned is my preference. When it is a side profile or direct front view my scanning is disrupted and I find that annoying. I try not to reward that behavior by skipping past it. I don't like being annoyed, especially when I'm enjoying the hunt for my next car!

Interior photos! Take more interior shots. I just bought 2 cars and am still hunting for my unicorn "overlander." I'm always wanting to see the underside of the used car for any rust, what is the condition of all the seats (including a third row), what is the condition of the steering wheel, what buttons are on the car help me understand what package or options the car has.

What you should consider in vehicle photography:
  • VIN explosions and data sources are different from one website to another. Autotrader may use Chrome as a vehicle decoder while another site will use DataOne. Those companies view data differently and how they give it back to the website tech needs to be interpreted. Interpretations can vary significantly between CarGurus and Cars.com or Dealer.com and DealerInspire. At the end of the day, those interpretations are made by humans with engineering jobs. They may have been on a deadline... who knows. The point is, you cannot rely on data to give a shopper any confidence. Photos sell your car for you.
  • Your online shopper is an expert. Assume they have looked at dozens of cars online and know how to spot options and packages. By taking better photos of buttons you'll be helping these people in a big way. They will appreciate it! Yes, they will become dumb when they become a physical shopper.
  • Take photos of the dash buttons on the left side of the steering wheel - these are missed way too often.
  • Take photos of the buttons on the roof and if there are any in the second row (like around a DVD player screen)
  • Take multiple photos of the center stack to include the radio, nav screen, climate control, seat climate control, center shifter, all the way to the center console.
  • Always take a photo of the dash with the car on showing the miles
These bullets may sound like a lot, but I'm only talking about a few more interior images here. Try it, you'll find this ask isn't a big process change.
Hey Alex, is it dataone.org that you refer to? I’m looking for a vin data solution to feed into an app I’ve built. Vehicle spec data doesn’t seem to come up when I search their site. Can you point me to further info on their vehicle data?

Hey Alex, is it dataone.org that you refer to? I’m looking for a vin data solution to feed into an app I’ve built. Vehicle spec data doesn’t seem to come up when I search their site. Can you point me to further info on their vehicle data?

We use them at FRIKINtech. We started with Chrome, but found it to be antiquated for our newer technologies. DataOne is much easier to scale with. Enjoy!

Reactions: KiwiDan
After reading this thread, I decided to make a change of order to pics on a few vehicles to see what happens. I'm trying to track VDPs on the ones that I changed. Maybe that'll be in vain, but it's worth a shot.
It appears that there are a lot of us out there that use the same pic order, so why not try something different. In this business we always have to be willing to try new things, especially if it's as simple as changing the way we take or use vehicle pics. I also am thinking I might stop taking pics of interior door panels, because I wonder if those are a waste. We use Dealerslink and are limited to like 35 or 40 pics total. BTW, Dealerslink uses CloudCam to take and upload pics. I hate it. Just putting that out there.
Anyway...just thought I'd throw my ramblings into the ring and see what happens.

After reading this thread, I decided to make a change of order to pics on a few vehicles to see what happens. I'm trying to track VDPs on the ones that I changed. Maybe that'll be in vain, but it's worth a shot.
It appears that there are a lot of us out there that use the same pic order, so why not try something different. In this business we always have to be willing to try new things, especially if it's as simple as changing the way we take or use vehicle pics. I also am thinking I might stop taking pics of interior door panels, because I wonder if those are a waste. We use Dealerslink and are limited to like 35 or 40 pics total. BTW, Dealerslink uses CloudCam to take and upload pics. I hate it. Just putting that out there.
Anyway...just thought I'd throw my ramblings into the ring and see what happens.
Are you skilled with GA or some equivalent? If so, at a minimum I would look at your image scroll events as a deeper measurement. I think you'll see more telling variation there than you will VDP activity. Love the effort. Try something different and if it doesn't work change it back.

Are you skilled with GA or some equivalent? If so, at a minimum I would look at your image scroll events as a deeper measurement. I think you'll see more telling variation there than you will VDP activity. Love the effort. Try something different and if it doesn't work change it back.
GA is my nemesis...well one of them anyway. I will do some research on that though. Thanks for the feedback!