• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Facebook Advertising

OMG, you all are wacked... Brent! FB is a waste of your precious time!

THE EMPORER HAS NO CLOTHES!

...let the stoning begin...

ARE YOU FLIPPING KIDDING ME!!! I just spent an entire afternoon setting a page up because I am and trying to get it tied into the website (my 1st adventure in manipulating HTML).

Are you talking about facebook advertising or even just having a page I post on once or twice a week. Please, Joe, if your going to be a naked emporer, provide us with more info why. Unless your just trying to start an uproar...

OMG, you all are wacked... Brent! FB is a waste of your precious time!

THE EMPORER HAS NO CLOTHES!

...let the stoning begin...

:rofl: Personally I wouldnt spend money on FB ads, like I said earlier, I use AdBlock+ so I dont even see them.

I dont think spending a little time each week to post a couple of human interest type stories from your blog is a bad idea. That would not require much more than 15mins of your precious time.

I have used the "Update all Fans" several times, and it shows up in the in box of our fans. I have also manually put items on our fan pages, but have not seen that on the news feed. My guess is that there is a setting on your news feed page that controls whether or not you see those posts...

ARE YOU FLIPPING KIDDING ME!!! I just spent an entire afternoon setting a page up because I am and trying to get it tied into the website (my 1st adventure in manipulating HTML).

Are you talking about facebook advertising or even just having a page I post on once or twice a week. Please, Joe, if your going to be a naked emporer, provide us with more info why. Unless your just trying to start an uproar...

Brent - marketing works a little differently with each different personality in each different market. You'll have to figure out what works for your personality and your market.

I have used the "Update all Fans" several times, and it shows up in the in box of our fans. I have also manually put items on our fan pages, but have not seen that on the news feed. My guess is that there is a setting on your news feed page that controls whether or not you see those posts...

I dont know what triggers it, what I do know is that I have many pages that I am a fan of with my 3 FB accounts, and all of them have the same settings.

Some pages spam my feed page daily, and others never show up even though I see that they have updated their page when I visit them.

It has something to do with the way its posted, or set up on the admin side of the fan page, I dont know what that is. I do not have unique settings for specific fan pages, all have the same restrictions.

Going back to the original point of why I mentioned it, whatever the cause, I dont think its a good idea to set your page up in a way that sends out updates to fans pages every time you post to your page.

Once or twice a week is fine with me, and seems to be a good general rule based on conversations Ive had with a bunch of other "users".

I'll try and find out the answer to why some spam and others do not if I can today.

edit:
Im still working on it, Ive joined a few more groups and fan'd a few pages, I get updates from mercedes daily, if you want you can join it to see what I mean.
http://www.facebook.com/MercedesBenz?ref=search&sid=1247367762.4254757823..1 (if that link doesnt work, just search mercedes)
Doesnt seem to matter if its a fan page or group page either. Your site is listed as a "page" as is mercedes.

Last edited:

Brent,

We all know I love to sir the pot, learning HTML can be fun, but keep in mind we're here to sell cars. Its how you will be judged. Be like a shark and look for blood in the water!

Is FaceBook worth the time invested?
Rural America, population density = 20 people per sq. mile.
Metro Dealers, population density = 12,200 people per sq. mile (Boston MA).

Time to set up and update a FB account per day/week/month
Rural America, 3 hours
Metro Dealers, 3 hours

Brent,
The time needed to build and maintain a FB is universal, yet, can you see the MARKETPLACE LEVERAGE that a metro setting offers? This is why FB opinions can vary greatly too.

IMO, Go back to basics. I bet you sell less than 1% of your visitors. Divide number of unique visitors by number of units sold.

Work on 3 things...
More Conversions, More Conversions and lastly More Conversions. Get creative and find ways to smoke out those stealth shoppers that vanish on you!

just my $0.02

I THINK Ive found out how/why some post go to home page of fans. (emphasis on THINK:D)

It has to do with "Publish to the Stream"

snip-
This method publishes a post into the stream on the user's or Facebook Page's Wall and News Feed. This post also appears in the streams (News Feeds) of the user's friends' or Page's fans. If you specify a target_id, then the post appears on the Wall of the target, and not the user posting the item.

Here is a link,

Stream.publish - Facebook Developer Wiki

That link is a great resource for those who are publishing on FB.

Its really not that big of an issue, I just hate when I dont know how something works.

Brent,

We all know I love to sir the pot, learning HTML can be fun, but keep in mind we're here to sell cars. Its how you will be judged. Be like a shark and look for blood in the water!

Is FaceBook worth the time invested?
Rural America, population density = 20 people per sq. mile.
Metro Dealers, population density = 12,200 people per sq. mile (Boston MA).

Time to set up and update a FB account per day/week/month
Rural America, 3 hours
Metro Dealers, 3 hours

Brent,
The time needed to build and maintain a FB is universal, yet, can you see the MARKETPLACE LEVERAGE that a metro setting offers? This is why FB opinions can vary greatly too.

IMO, Go back to basics. I bet you sell less than 1% of your visitors. Divide number of unique visitors by number of units sold.

Work on 3 things...
More Conversions, More Conversions and lastly More Conversions. Get creative and find ways to smoke out those stealth shoppers that vanish on you!

just my $0.02

Your right Joe, you do like to stir things up. Here is the time spent on Facebook adventure so far.

Creating the page - 1hour
Suggesting page to friends and rallying salespeople to do the same - 1 hour
Posting "Breast Cancer Awareness Event" - 3 minutes
Making blog and newsletter article about new page - 1 hour
Periodically checking to see how many friends I have while writing this months newsletter - Who knows

Now for the results. After 72 hours of being live I have 73 fans (more than a fan/hour). These fans now get to see "Holm Auto" at least once per week when I post. Will that make them buy a car from us? Who knows. Will that make them think of us when they buy a car? Absolutely.

I understand I am not reaching as many people as what would be in Boston but we do have a town of 50K, a military base, and D1 college all within 30 minutes of us. I'm not in the desert man!!!:2quiet:

As for the time spent maintaining FB. My plan is to not be over aggressive and do periodic posts which take about 10 minutes tops to update. Lets just say I spend an hour on it per week. I work an avg of 55 hours per week so I am devoting 2% of my time on FB. Is that worth it for a little branding. Yep.

Come on Joe! Quit being a hater and be a fan.:)

Holm Buick, Pontiac, Cadillac, Chevrolet in Abilene Kansas - Used Car Salina Kansas, Holm Auto