• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
Now that marketplace listings have to be manually posted by personal Facebook profiles, here are some additional things to consider:
  • Who is getting a list of new cars and ensuring they don't get posted multiple times?
  • Who is updating pricing?
  • Who is removing cars when they're sold?
  • Who is ensuring that appropriate disclaimers are being disclosed?
  • Who is ensuring that all communication is logged in the CRM?
Personally, I don't believe organic marketplace listings are worth the hassle anymore, much better to just automatically advertise all of your cars in the marketplace feed by running Facebook automotive inventory ads and linking direct to your website VDP.
Agreed. Even worse in my opinion are the 3rd party suppliers creating fake profiles to post your vehicles with. Not sure if that is still a thing, was for some time and was amazed at stores that actually ok'd it.

Reactions: Ryan Everson
  • Who is getting a list of new cars and ensuring they don't get posted multiple times?
  • Who is updating pricing?
  • Who is removing cars when they're sold?
  • Who is ensuring that appropriate disclaimers are being disclosed?
  • Who is ensuring that all communication is logged in the CRM?

Al good questions... Think about this. I know of at least one company, I believe is V12, that is posting market place listings for dealers. What they are doing is they are connecting a real users Facebook account to their software and they are posting the vehicles through an API which is using the persons Facebook account. I believe they are posting at least 10 vehicles per day and then the dealer needs to field their messenger to answer inquiries. I do know know if there are removing sold listings, and I do not believe they are updating any pricing. I imagine hundreds of dealers are doing this. Whether or not they are managing their messenger well is doubtful.

Agreed. Even worse in my opinion are the 3rd party suppliers creating fake profiles to post your vehicles with. Not sure if that is still a thing, was for some time and was amazed at stores that actually ok'd it.

I'm confident this is still going on to a large degree. I myself don't want anything automated using my personal FB account. Getting locked out is becoming a real pain to regain access.

Al good questions... Think about this. I know of at least one company, I believe is V12, that is posting market place listings for dealers. What they are doing is they are connecting a real users Facebook account to their software and they are posting the vehicles through an API which is using the persons Facebook account. I believe they are posting at least 10 vehicles per day and then the dealer needs to field their messenger to answer inquiries. I do know know if there are removing sold listings, and I do not believe they are updating any pricing. I imagine hundreds of dealers are doing this. Whether or not they are managing their messenger well is doubtful.
There is no marketplace API for personal profiles - they are likely using some sort of RPA software that logs into a user's personal Facebook account on a virtual machine, moves the mouse, and posts vehicles.

This is extremely risky and likely violates Facebook's terms of use and a great way to get your Facebook profile deactivated, along with potentially your business manager, ad account, and page.

There is no marketplace API for personal profiles - they are likely using some sort of RPA software that logs into a user's personal Facebook account on a virtual machine, moves the mouse, and posts vehicles.

This is extremely risky and likely violates Facebook's terms of use and a great way to get your Facebook profile deactivated, along with potentially your business manager, ad account, and page.
Preying upon a dealer’s ignorance I’d suggest

Yes, correction, not an API, they using some sort of software, probably their own, to somehow control or utilize the persons Facebook user account without the user having to be involved once originally authorized. I hate that idea. I wanted to try it but there is no way I am allowing a bot to use my FB account.

Yes, correction, not an API, they using some sort of software, probably their own, to somehow control or utilize the persons Facebook user account without the user having to be involved once originally authorized. I hate that idea. I wanted to try it but there is no way I am allowing a bot to use my FB account.
Yeah that is way too much risk to accept for such little return.

It likely depends on the size of your dealership. In our area we are able to post 30-40 inventory vehicles in FBM and our sales guys all handle the leads.

There is no integration with CRM though and the level of commitment is so low from "customers" that it can feel like a waste of time.

It takes roughly 5-7 minutes or less to post a vehicle and its FREE. We probably sell 1-2 vehicles a month from FB marketplace.