All great points. My only counterpoint being the leftist media (and all media for that matter) is purchasing the same exact data from the same companies as FB and touting contextual and behavioral hyper-targeting. Push the issue too hard and they're just shooting themselves in the foot (then they'll reignite the gun control debate!)The reason I think something is going to happen is that they've managed to piss off "the left".
"the left" control the bulk of the media and once you're not on their side, good luck.
To name a few key events that contribute:
I just don't see them bouncing back from this. Most companies (ie: Apple) bounce back from scandals by leveraging the media, but Facebook is running out of media companies who can help them out of this hole.
- The FTC is in talks about hundreds of millions in fines if they find what they think is there
- Elon Musk removed all his corporate presences from Facebook
- Playboy removed their presence
- The View hosts said they will be deleting their Facebook accounts (believe me, they have an audience)
- "the left" on Twitter exploded when they found out Facebook helps locate less than legal citizens for deportation / ICE
- Mozilla created a plugin JUST to help combat Facebook, then pulled all their ads off Facebook
- The founder of Whatsapp supported #deletefacebook (please note, Facebook owns Whatsapp)
- Pep boys, Sonos and other national brands pulled their ads in a very public way
- Celebrities like Cher, Will Ferrel, etc jumped ship in a very public way