1. Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
    Dismiss Notice

Facebook Marketplace

Discussion in 'Websites, SEO, SEM, Display, Social, Marketing' started by Greg Schafer, Mar 20, 2018.

This forum sponsored by...
  1. AdamMurray

AdamMurray
    Expand Collapse
    Refresher

First Name:
    Adam
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Hearst Communications
    All great points. My only counterpoint being the leftist media (and all media for that matter) is purchasing the same exact data from the same companies as FB and touting contextual and behavioral hyper-targeting. Push the issue too hard and they're just shooting themselves in the foot (then they'll reignite the gun control debate!)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. This forum sponsored by...
  3. Alexander Lau

Alexander Lau
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Alex
    I think there are those in Congress who will want that pelt on their wall - so to speak. You walk on this and your opponent will beat you to pieces in the re-election.

:flame:

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  4. Mid-Grade Ford

Mid-Grade Ford
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

First Name:
    Abe
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Mid-Grade Ford

Facebook doesn't sell your data. In fact, it would be bad for their business if they did.

https://stratechery.com/2015/tim-co...trategy-credits-the-privacy-priority-problem/

Don't forget who the biggest loser in Facebook's rise to power has been. The media has taken a beating. Where do their motives lie with all of these negative facebook stories?

5. craigh

craigh
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

First Name:
    Craig
    Dealer or Company Name:
    Vicimus Inc
    Twitter Handle:
    craighooghiem
    Sorry. "Facebook makes money off your data" is more accurate.
    They may not be selling the data directly (although, I don't necessarily believe that) but they are certainly profiting off my data by selling access to me to advertisers based on that data.

This story about them trying to get medical data is also questionable at best.
    https://www.inquisitr.com/4856465/f...ta-from-hospitals-and-match-it-up-with-users/

• Like Like x 2
  6. Alexander Lau

Alexander Lau
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Alex
  7. Alexander Lau

Alexander Lau
    Expand Collapse
    Sr. Refresher

First Name:
    Alex
    https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018...onfirms-internet-traffic-metrics-are-bullshit

Yet not even Facebook, the world’s greatest data–gathering organization, seems able to produce genuine figures. In October, small advertisers filed suit against the social-media giant, accusing it of covering up, for a year, its significant overstatements of the time users spent watching videos on the platform (by 60 to 80 percent, Facebook says; by 150 to 900 percent, the plaintiffs say). According to an exhaustive list at MarketingLand, over the past two years Facebook has admitted to misreporting the reach of posts on Facebook Pages (in two different ways), the rate at which viewers complete ad videos, the average time spent reading its “Instant Articles,” the amount of referral traffic from Facebook to external websites, the number of views that videos received via Facebook’s mobile site, and the number of video views in Instant Articles.

Can we still trust the metrics? After the Inversion, what’s the point? Even when we put our faith in their accuracy, there’s something not quite real about them: My favorite statistic this year was Facebook’s claim that 75 million people watched at least a minute of Facebook Watch videos every day — though, as Facebook admitted, the 60 seconds in that one minute didn’t need to be watched consecutively. Real videos, real people, fake minutes. -NYMag

8. John.H

John.H
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

First Name:
    John
    Here's the thing.

From my experience, Facebook marketplace is only successful with used car sales. I wouldn't recommend it being a primary source of leads. However, it can be a good way to diversify where you're producing sales from other places.

In my opinion, the more places you're advertising on, the better.

9. John.H

John.H
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

First Name:
    John
    On the topic of metrics.. The only metric you should ever trust is /leads/appointments/sales produced from advertising...PERIOD.

Forget all the other metrics, such as view time, reach, quantity of link clicks, what have you. These are all ways some facebook "gurus" sell their prospects on their services.

Money talks, BS walks.

Which is why I recommend using advanced tracking when media buying on Facebook. Otherwise, you have nothing to use as a basis on performance.

10. SteveeAnders79

SteveeAnders79
    Expand Collapse
    Noob

First Name:
    Steven
    FB marketplace will be an immense success in 2019. I have such a feeling. It's too underrated imho

11. Mark Daniels

Mark Daniels
    Expand Collapse
    Getting Refreshed

First Name:
    Mark
    Works amazing BUT like any used car marketplace, if your cars are not at the right price, you will tank. No magic here.

The main challenge dealers are facing today is responding directly from Messenger. There are bots & companies out there that facilitate that portion so it's important you think about how you're going to manage it.

Most dealers are asking their people to leave Facebook not jump on it ;)

For the price, it's a no-brainer. The audience is obviously huge. The algorithm is also very effective in pushing you vehicles that might be of interest.

If anyone wants to chat about how & why to place your inventory on Facebook Marketplace, feel free to reach out.