• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Facebook Marketplace

Mar 3, 2016
First Name
Greg
I wanted to see if anyone is posting their inventory on FB Marketplace and having success?

Thank you!

Greg

craigh

Super Moderator
May 19, 2011
First Name
Craig
We have a few clients doing it, but I haven't seen many successes.
I think there might be some better ways to do it, but if you can set it up with little effort I think it's worthwhile to get your inventory out anywhere.

Alexander Lau

Sr. Refresher
Feb 11, 2015
First Name
Alex
I see very little little attributed towards 'Facebook Marketplace' in automotive sales attribution circles. Granted, that could be because of its recency.

Last edited:

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
May 1, 2006
First Name
Alex
Granted, that could be because of its recency.
Yeah, it reminds me of Craigslist when it first came out. Most dealers hadn't figured it out or didn't even care about it. Personally, I have a hard time sifting through things in the Facebook marketplace, but I haven't really tried to use it for selling or purchasing yet. Craigslist is my go-to selling spot.

Reactions: Alexander Lau

Dave Lemmon

Getting Refreshed
Nov 3, 2015
First Name
David
I see very little little attributed towards 'Facebook Marketplace' in sales attribution circles. Granted, that could be because of its recency.
They have so few approved partners, most of which aren't really set up to do automatic posting to sites like this (ie. ContactAtOnce or SocialDealer), that I don't think its been fully fleshed out for it yet. My guess is, it will operate a lot like what we're seeing with LetGo, working best if you focus on low priced inventory and have either a really strong internet/BDC operate to get on Messenger or use a managed service. I'd also be surprised if inventory posts remain free for dealerships.

Alexander Lau

Sr. Refresher
Feb 11, 2015
First Name
Alex
They have so few approved partners, most of which aren't really set up to do automatic posting to sites like this (ie. ContactAtOnce or SocialDealer), that I don't think its been fully fleshed out for it yet. My guess is, it will operate a lot like what we're seeing with LetGo, working best if you focus on low priced inventory and have either a really strong internet/BDC operate to get on Messenger or use a managed service. I'd also be surprised if inventory posts remain free for dealerships.
I couldn't agree more.

Alexander Lau

Sr. Refresher
Feb 11, 2015
First Name
Alex
Yeah, it reminds me of Craigslist when it first came out. Most dealers hadn't figured it out or didn't even care about it. Personally, I have a hard time sifting through things in the Facebook marketplace, but I haven't really tried to use it for selling or purchasing yet. Craigslist is my go-to selling spot.
On a non-automotive (even though it could apply to fixed-ops) note, it looks like CL has started to charge for Services as well. My wife runs a medical billing group and I had been auto-posting all over the country for her. NOT NO MORE, it's $5 a piece. I don't mind though, it keeps the crap services out of the way and promotes those that invest in their services.

Reactions: Alex Snyder

Tom davies

Noob
Feb 23, 2018
First Name
Tom
I tend to buy from marketplace then to sell.

Sometimes you can get great deals especially is someone wants to make a quick buck!

Dave Lemmon

Getting Refreshed
Nov 3, 2015
First Name
David
I tend to buy from marketplace then to sell.

Sometimes you can get great deals especially is someone wants to make a quick buck!
Interestingly, we've been looking at making this move with Craigslist. Indexing and delivering under market ads to our dealers who are in market to buy.

ChrisR

Refresher
Oct 12, 2015
First Name
Christian
The first week our inventory was up, we had a fair number of leads, and I think closed one or two of them. Since that first week, crickets.