• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

First CASL Violation Filed

malinda.terreri

Grease Monkey
Jun 4, 2011
First Name
Malinda
I'm curious how many US dealerships are aware of Canada's spam law that went into effect last year which does effect US businesses. The Canadian spam rules have very specific requirements about the opt-in process, with potential penalties in the ka-zillions.

We have dealers all over the country that randomly have a couple of Canadian email addresses in their databases - so this isn't just for those dealerships that are on the Canadian border.

ReturnPath's blog just posted an update on the first CASL penalty of $1.1 million.

Here's a quote from the article:

While the CRTC is currently going after the flagrant violators, that doesn’t mean, though, you're in the clear. Once the private right of action comes into play in 2017, it will only take one wrong email to run into trouble, and CASL applies to any sender sending to Canadian users. Being outside of Canada does not prevent authorities from pursuing entities residing elsewhere and or working with other regulators in your country. - See more at: http://blog.returnpath.com/blog/dennis-dayman/first-casl-violation-filed#sthash.lqhPaDUh.dpuf

Is this on your radar?

as a Canadian with a a business in Canada we have taken this very seriously...............but seriously, there hasn't been a reduction in the amount of spam i get everyday in the last 9 months and I haven't opt'd into getting any emails......

The CRTC is seriously going to go after spammers in other countries....I don't think that's in the budget.....

CASL is obviously a well intention-ed law but it will not have any teeth outside of Canada so really what's the point!!!

Everyone seems to be pooping on themselves like a puppy who ate a brick of ex-lax over CASL. It mostly feels like a repeat of the Canadian DNC list.

I hope it's not, we've done more in the past few months to clean up our crm and database then ever before. I feel our ass is well covered but probably needlessly so.

Fearmongering lawyers are sure doing what they can to leave bricks of ex-lax everywhere.