• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Floor Traffic Advertising Source Collection

As a customer, it's none of the reps biz asking me what ad I saw. The question makes me think what ad is he's fishing for (that i didn't see)? Theres enough rep to customer tension IMO.

Again, speaking as a customer, I've been on a 4 week journey looking for a car. I've laid hands on every price of media I can find along the way. I have a kelly blue book printout on my passenger seat, a print out of autotrader and cars.com in my back pocket, and I saw your ad in the paper and on TV. Now... Mr sales rep, what was that you asked me?

IMO, for ups that can't be closed, create a drawing to harvest contact info and GENERAL lead source (internet, newsprint, TV, Radio, etc...). THEN, Create a post-sale survey at delivery, now, you can deep-dive into their buying habits with an indepth survey and get real data back.

Just my 0.02 from your ol' Uncle Joe

Last edited:
Have a Marketing meeting with your sales team so they understand the importance of advertising and sourcing correctly. Help them understand how it has a direct impact on their traffic count and paycheck. Get their buy-in, make them part of the team, include them in on the decisions and you won't need to spif. They will eventually get it...AND If they DON'T get it..FIRE them.

Update your sales team when and where you are advertising. How many times have you walked into a retail store and the sales people are clueless to where you advertise or what the current ad is. How freaking frustrating is that?

I used to take it another step; every sales person had their own "dashboard" and knew what cars were spotlighted on AutoTrader, what cars were on the newspaper, which ones were currently on ebay and any other advertising source.

Get everyone on the same page, get buy in and it will eventually fall into place. And to repeat "If they don't get it..FIRE them".