• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Google My Business adds inventory

Michael, some cool concepts, I love merch tricks that improve these rates. Would love to know more. We track VDP/SRP rates for a few hundred dealers across all the major 3rd parties. Can you post some of your before/after rates for Autotrader, Cars.com, CarGurus and Carfax? Thank you!

Attachments

• Chroma Cars eBait SRP To VDP Optimizer Before And After.pdf
    516.8 KB · Views: 18
They're saying the inventory postings will not initially be indexed by Google. But they're pointing to what Google did with SWIS. Initially when SWIS was launched the listings we're not indexed and then a little later on users saw inventory posted via SWIS showing up in the Google search results.
Thanks for the info! Still don't see any inventory listings from GMB showing up in search so it will be interesting to see if Google does index those., OR if they try to get dealerships to buy shopping ads (currently in beta for Carvana & CarMax only in my area). I would think they would go with the profit driven route!
When I said "jenky" I meant it. Why are the Used Ford's the priority on the inventory for this GMB at Mazda? SMH
Hey Dan - are you saying any increase in traffic coming from the Google inventory listings?

Thanks for the info! Still don't see any inventory listings from GMB showing up in search so it will be interesting to see if Google does index those., OR if they try to get dealerships to buy shopping ads (currently in beta for Carvana & CarMax only in my area). I would think they would go with the profit driven route!

Hey Dan - are you saying any increase in traffic coming from the Google inventory listings?
Ha, I just tagged you @MarcyMMDealerAdvocates in the other thread. No, not seeing anything measurable but like I just said in the other thread, they (Google) are up to something...

I worked at CarGurus for over 12 years, I remember during interviews they would ask prospective hires "who is our biggest competition?", and the answer they were looking for (rarely did anyone actually say it) was Google and Facebook. Most people answered with the usual suspects - AT, Cars.com, Edmunds, etc. The concern was that FB and Google would start hosting listings directly on those platforms....looks like Google is at least dipping their toes in the listings water to test things out. Will be interesting to see how far they take it. Seems all but inevitable at this point.

Ha, I just tagged you @MarcyMMDealerAdvocates in the other thread. No, not seeing anything measurable but like I just said in the other thread, they (Google) are up to something...
Thanks @DanSayer Yup - for sure - see next comment below..... Is this an inevitable choice or do dealers hold out? I suspect that giving Google they keys to the kingdom will only benefit them....

Thanks @DanSayer Yup - for sure - see next comment below..... Is this an inevitable choice or do dealers hold out? I suspect that giving Google they keys to the kingdom will only benefit them....
It's an inevitable way of doing business. Google already holds the keys to customer search which are the kingdom. Why would anyone take a stance against where their shoppers are looking? This isn't a "I don't like CarGurus" scenario. You can't take your ball and go home on this one yet because the game has yet to be revealed LOL!

Looking at our listings on GMB Cars For Sale there is no UTM on the "Visit Dealer" link to track that to our sites so not sure how I would track traffic and use? Looks like it shows up similar to "Website" clicks from GMB to the sites. Google, as it does by default in other areas, labels it as (direct)/(none) as Source/Medium. Which is a good reminder to all to add a UTM to your GMB Website link so it shows up in your Organic traffic (if you pay attention to that sort of thing).

Also, only Share options are FB, Twitter, WhatsApp, and link copy feature. The URL for the inventory seems to be very simple with a "dealer code" and ending with the VIN.

1619559086083.png

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
@dansayer So far, there is absolutely no SEO value to the Car inventory on GMB - in other words - when people search a car in your inventory, though it may be in that feed, Google is not going to serve up the listing within GMB as a search result. Possibly, at some point they will. Right now - we also have the convoluted addition of a cookieless world right around the corner... Regardless, dealers need to try to get customes to THEIR website, to view THEIR inventory, and give customers the best UX possible so they find it easy to navigate your website. Where the Cars listings will go in the future, how much Google will play a role in serving up actual VDP's, remains to be seen.

@dansayer So far, there is absolutely no SEO value to the Car inventory on GMB - in other words - when people search a car in your inventory, though it may be in that feed, Google is not going to serve up the listing within GMB as a search result. Possibly, at some point they will. Right now - we also have the convoluted addition of a cookieless world right around the corner... Regardless, dealers need to try to get customes to THEIR website, to view THEIR inventory, and give customers the best UX possible so they find it easy to navigate your website. Where the Cars listings will go in the future, how much Google will play a role in serving up actual VDP's, remains to be seen.
You're preaching to the choir.