• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Graphic Design Question

Paul Bubar

Rust & Dust
Nov 9, 2009
First Name
Paul
I was wondering what everyone does for graphic design? Do you hire a third party to do it? Do you do it in house? I am the first to admit that my graphic design skills are lacking plus I do not have the time to sit down and build something from scratch. What would you recommend?

Thank you for your time.

Paul

Homegrown graphics at Acton Toyota, done by a kid who started as a lot kid while going to school for graphic arts. Seemed like a logical progression for us as well as him and the timing worked nicely for all. He also does our certified Toyota pictures which gives him enough to do to make it a job.

Having someone in house has made a huge difference in the 1 look, 1 message philosophy we have. I would recommend this for sure....if you have the means and a plan.

Yeah - find some hired talent and bring it in house. It can make for a nice and consistent difference. If you're serious about your online marketing you will have a source to get your graphics done. Of course this can carry over into your traditional advertising as well while again keeping a consistent look and feel to all avenues of your marketing.

IF you are looking for some simple edits. Grab graphics from the different manufacturer websites. Most also have "newsroom" website and marketing admin websites. Use Jing to slice and dice and then check out http://www.picnik.com for edits and overlays.

I was wondering what everyone does for graphic design? Do you hire a third party to do it? Do you do it in house? I am the first to admit that my graphic design skills are lacking plus I do not have the time to sit down and build something from scratch. What would you recommend?

Thank you for your time.

Paul

I think dealers do not realize the resources they have in their own communities. Why not reach out to a local high school / college and hire someone that is looking to build their portfolio. These kids have incredible skills and are dying to get a place to showcase their work.

I'm sure some of these 15 years olds would blow your mind with what they can do with video as well.

I think dealers do not realize the resources they have in their own communities. Why not reach out to a local high school / college and hire someone that is looking to build their portfolio. These kids have incredible skills and are dying to get a place to showcase their work.

I'm sure some of these 15 years olds would blow your mind with what they can do with video as well.

For sure, we've had an intern from a local High School who worked on some content/pictures/video/social media (interns are free!) who we brought back and paid during his summer break for more of the same, he'll be back this winter break......so watch for more web content from us this xmas!

Our delivery bays have murals painted by local art students as part of their art program, we paid for supplies and lunches.

We get junior level technicians from a local tech school which has turned into a great source of eager talent.....not to mention great PR within the school.

Talent is everywhere, you just need to have the right leadership who sees and nurtures that talent.

For sure, we've had an intern from a local High School who worked on some content/pictures/video/social media (interns are free!) who we brought back and paid during his summer break for more of the same, he'll be back this winter break......so watch for more web content from us this xmas!

Our delivery bays have murals painted by local art students as part of their art program, we paid for supplies and lunches.

We get junior level technicians from a local tech school which has turned into a great source of eager talent.....not to mention great PR within the school.

Talent is everywhere, you just need to have the right leadership who sees and nurtures that talent.

Note to all.

If your ORGANIZATION is filled with creative people, empowered by a trusting soul that gives you rope to reach out and grow AND this "Yoda" of yours has helped you and your team master the 30day monster, then... you already work at Acton Toyota ;-)

For the rest of us 30 day slaves.... ;-)

You really got to know yourself and the short comings of your rooftop before you decide on inhouse or 3rd party graphic designers. If you hire the wrong "kid", you'll be wasting weeks teaching them what you want and waiting for them to "get it". Then, after you invest the time into the little bugger, they vanish on ya (off to college, or where ever)

KNOW YOURSELF and YOUR SHORTCOMINGS.
If you understand the power of a strong visual message but are rarely the originator of these, you're really depending on the new kid to make some beautiful music. Art is like music, handing an enthusiastic kid a guitar that you can't play doesn't mean you'll get what you want.

I HIGHLY recommend you explore the "no ties" offer made by Justin, or, from a skilled design house that knows our world. You'll want a player that has industry resources (like stock image library) to produce a consistent look.

Last edited:
I use a combination of Illustrator CS4, OmniGraffle Pro, and Photoshop CS4/CS5. The problem I have come across the most is having the time to build the graphics out. This was especially true at month-end when trying to put new specials up.

There were some occasions when we would just farm things out to the ad agency.....for an exorbitant fee.

Note to all.

If your ORGANIZATION is filled with creative people, empowered by a trusting soul that gives you rope to reach out and grow AND this "Yoda" of yours has helped you and your team master the 30day monster, then... you already work at Acton Toyota ;-)

For the rest of us 30 day slaves.... ;-)

You really got to know yourself and the short comings of your rooftop before you decide on inhouse or 3rd party graphic designers. If you hire the wrong "kid", you'll be wasting weeks teaching them what you want and waiting for them to "get it". Then, after you invest the time into the little bugger, they vanish on ya (off to college, or where ever)

KNOW YOURSELF and YOUR SHORTCOMINGS.
If you understand the power of a strong visual message but are rarely the originator of these, you're really depending on the new kid to make some beautiful music. Art is like music, handing an enthusiastic kid a guitar that you can't play doesn't mean you'll get what you want.

I HIGHLY recommend you explore the "no ties" offer made by Justin, or, from a skilled design house that knows our world. You'll want a player that has industry resources (like stock image library) to produce a consistent look.

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
-- Yoda

Everyone has the ability to create their own Acton Toyota like atmosphere....just start taking steps, people will think you know where you're going and follow you.;)