• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Have you guys (and gals) seen this yet?

Hoib

Rust & Dust
Dec 9, 2009
First Name
Hoib
Here's a technique I think is cool and relatively new to me. Maybe you've seen this already. I don't know. I don't see any folks talking it up here.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stratham-NH/BMW-Stratham/148165277361?v=app_1 1007063052

This Facebook "Like link" could become another initiative for those dealerships looking for a jazzy community based marketing angle. I do volunteer work for this food pantry as well as computer IT work for the Mercedes Benz dealership down the street. So, when this came up, it intruiged me. BMW says they're not expecting to actively sell vehicles off this; just raise awareness of their web presence which is a nice touch. This is pointed at customers who are already on Facebook. BMW Stratham has us (the food pantry) putting up posters, forwarding emails, calling the newspapers, radio, TV - doing the legwork which helps us raise needed funds.

Maybe I could get some of you to click on the "Like" link? The food pantry could use the $1K! (Hope this isn't considered "spamming" the forum!)

Anyway, I thought I'd bring it up here and let you folks see what's happening locally.

H

I clicked "Like" for you, but I'm not sure what you're getting at with this thread :huh?:

1. Are you trying to get more people to click "Like"?
2. Are you just noticing that facebook has changed from "fans" to "likes"?
3. Are you trying to show us a new facebook trick to get "likes" through a contest?

Facebook is great for raising the awareness of their web presence, but let them know it can be used for so much more! Engaging with your Fans on Facebook is also great for building a "relationship" between your company and customers.

oh. and i clicked "like", good luck with the food pantry :)

I have seen this type of Facebook campaign before where users are encouraged to "like" a page, and in turn a donation will be sent to a charity that the dealership supports. The strategy behind it is probably to a.) get more fans to the FB page and b.) emphasize that said dealership is community minded.

I think the "like" us for charity campaign is a great way to develop a fan base, but I also think dealerships can take campaigns a step further to leverage their own fans for unique content. Meaning, creating campaigns in which fans are encouraged to post their own pictures and tips to the dealership page, and then a winner will be selected based on the user submitted content. The hardest part about staying relevant in social media is continually creating relevant content, so having your fans contribute to that content can be very powerful and efficient.

Good morning, forum!

@Alex - My primary intention was not to come here for "clicks". Primary motive was to show something I've not seen before in my fledgling auto career. Personally, I've not used my Facebook account since about 2008. Never interested in it, would take up time I don't have. So, this changing from the term "fans" to "likes" is frankly lost on me. I'm an IT guy, not a marketing guy. The contest is secondary to raising awareness IMO.
@defcon5 - You're smarter than I am on FB (and who isn't!). I'm a real noob sorry to say. But I have the marketing guy's number on this and I'll certainly bring your raised point to his immediate attention.

Again, so everyone knows, I don't do any sales/marketing work.

Thanks for your input, all.

And sorry forum people, I see my company reads as "non-auto". I am in the marketing biz but don't ever want to seem like I'm drumming up leads so I'm not going to mention it. I hope this is ok.

I would suggest you use your company name in your profile. The advice you gave on facebook in the post above was good stuff. By offering help and suggestive tips is a great way for potential clients to see who you are. By helping them you'll earn some friends and customers.

If not for DR, I would not be as successful as I am today. The community recognizes talent and rewards it accordingly. So my advice, "give lots of advice freely, but only on topics you consider yourself an authority on."

Good morning, forum!

@Alex - My primary intention was not to come here for "clicks". Primary motive was to show something I've not seen before in my fledgling auto career. Personally, I've not used my Facebook account since about 2008. Never interested in it, would take up time I don't have. So, this changing from the term "fans" to "likes" is frankly lost on me. I'm an IT guy, not a marketing guy. The contest is secondary to raising awareness IMO.

Ah - gotcha. facebook changed from fans to like in an attempt to generate more "likes" than fans for business pages. Their reasoning was simply in the verbiage change - it is easier to say I like something than it is to say I am a fan of something. Personally, my fascination with plays on the written word agrees with facebook, but the reality of what I've seen so far....well, let's just say the jury is still out.

@Jerry: Thanks for the heads up. If it would be alright with Jeff and Alex, I can write a post for dealers using Facebook - particularly as it relates to promotions. It will show them how to NOT get their page deleted with contests and such. I will also translate Facebook's Terms of Services language into speech that we understand.

Please do! Let's start that off in the forums and see where it goes.