• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Highlights from Vegas?

I had a blast sitting on Eric's panel at DSES. That turned into a complete riot with Dennis Galbraith and Larry Bruce. :rofl:

I felt extremely special when I was presented the AWA Lighthouse Award. That was a very nice surprise - thanks to everyone!

View attachment 606

First, congratulations Jeff on the Lighthouse award, you certainly deserve it. As well thank you to your contribution to the automotive community!

I got to think Alex has a video of Dennis calling BS on Larry, so Alex, please email it to me! I would love to see that entire panel discussion.

Yago - a photo with Ralph was your biggest highlight of the week?

Mine was DSES. Jared and the Driving Sales crew did one hell of a job this year. The guest speakers and keynotes were amazing. Gary Vaynerchuk was one of the best keynotes I've ever had the opportunity to see.

Dealer.com introduced theirnew study revealing the growing influence of social media on the vehicle purchase during DSES. Most of the findings I found to be what I would expect. But there were a few reinforcement finding in the study. This still begs the question - Where does social media (marketing) fit into the dealers landscape?

As Alex points out - one of the best parts of the conferences is meeting in person so many of the community members here on DealerRefresh. I just wish I had more time to hang out with everyone.

I had a blast sitting on Eric's panel at DSES. That turned into a complete riot with Dennis Galbraith and Larry Bruce. :rofl:

I felt extremely special when I was presented the AWA Lighthouse Award. That was a very nice surprise - thanks to everyone!

View attachment 606

First of all I'm a very small potato so I didn't have the opportunity to meet all those people. BTY- Is that David Copperfield in the photo with you?

Care to summarize, or is the study available?

It comes out next month, but you can sign-up for it now: Dealer.com - Automotive Dealer Web Marketing, Dealer Website SEO, Web Solutions, Lead Management Tools

I've been looking at the stats for about 2 months now and although it is a lot of "duh" there is a ton that really shows how much social media has an effect on automotive purchasing decisions. There are finally some numbers around it.

After reading the study, your next step will be considering how you begin to transition your PR and Advertising messages from push to pull; from reach to individual.

It comes out next month, but you can sign-up for it now: Dealer.com - Automotive Dealer Web Marketing, Dealer Website SEO, Web Solutions, Lead Management Tools

I've been looking at the stats for about 2 months now and although it is a lot of "duh" there is a ton that really shows how much social media has an effect on automotive purchasing decisions. There are finally some numbers around it.

After reading the study, your next step will be considering how you begin to transition your PR and Advertising messages from push to pull; from reach to individual.

Interesting. It will be most interesting to contrast this report against the Toyota-sponsored Polk/ATC Survey Study that reported just the opposite this year:

•Despite high usage, Social Sites do not have a strong influence vehicle purchase behavior among new and used Toyota Buyers.

Thanks!

I would think that this will change as often as social media runs its course of evolution with consumer behavious and usage. It will change with how much a particular make invest and how succesful it is with SM campaigns. But also at any time a new SM site, system, or even hardware could change the lanscape again. I now it is hard to imagine that, but probably HP didn;t think a few years ago that a tablet could change consumer perception on computing needs so fast.

Interesting. It will be most interesting to contrast this report against the Toyota-sponsored Polk/ATC Survey Study that reported just the opposite this year:

•Despite high usage, Social Sites do not have a strong influence vehicle purchase behavior among new and used Toyota Buyers.

Thanks!

Yep, the two studies are at odds. Here is the other one: http://www.industryrelations.autotr...the New and Used Vehicle Purchase Process.pdf

Polk/ATC study said:
This study also revealed an interesting finding regard-ing the influence of social media sites: 97 percent ofbuyers who used the Internet to shop indicated thatsocial media did not influence their vehicle purchase.

As with any study, if you're going to implement things based off it, you should know your own market first. I don't have enough background on the Polk/ATC study to state where the differences in how both were conducted are.

Obviously I am much more familiar with the one Dealer.com will release next month, and for what it is worth it sits a lot better in my gut.

As with any study, if you're going to implement things based off it, you should know your own market first.

Boy, you said a mouthful there!! But I look at it thusly: any day you can walk away from your desk having learned something is a very good day. So bring on the data!

Love ingesting this stuff... guess that's how I got hooked on this forum with all you fascinating people! :)

Thanks again!

Reactions: 1 person