• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How are parts departments dealing with their obsolete parts?

Mustafa Mustafa

Full Sticker
Jan 4, 2023
Awards
First Name
Mustafa
Hello everyone! I would to like to know how Parts Managers/Directors and Fixed Op Directors deal with their obsolete parts? I am familiar with selling them to Vintage parts.

Has anyone successfully created an ecommerce strategy to sell them online?

Thank you Alex, I was looking for a more detailed response. I am familiar with automotive parts e-commerce as I created the first Alfa Romeo online parts catalog, something Revolution Parts and Simple Parts have yet to achieve.
- Home | Parmarq - Car Parts Simplified

The reason I asked that question was to see what actual strategies Parts Departments used, eBay is oversaturated.

The reason I asked that question was to see what actual strategies Parts Departments used, eBay is oversaturated.

We have an all-purpose marketing tool and we use it to help a handful of dealers in this way.
It really depends on the parts, but we can often run a campaign to a small group of people who are qualified for that part and at least get some movement. Beyond that, eBay or other online solutions are the way to get rid of them.

From a marketing perspective:
- Some parts can be tied to an Op Code and there is a report that shows customers who needed that work but declined it
- Accessories can be marketed as "clearout" to only customers who drive a fitting car
- We bonus the BDC to book appointments related to parts that we're overstocked with

Aside from that, eBay and Facebook Marketplace.

Thank you for the explanation Craig. I'm currently working with a dealership client in regard to streamlining SOP management to prevent future obsolescence and getting BDC to get them in the door ASAP.

Another problem we are facing is getting rid of the "forgotten" stock pile of obsolete parts, we can upload them on eBay, but their introductory monthly limit and high fees make it counter productive.

Our only option is uploading the list of obsolete parts to my online parts platform, divide them by brand/vendor and create targeted ad campaigns.

I will definitely have to reach out to you in regards to what ad campaigns would work best.

Last edited: