• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

How Many Auto Conferences Do We Need to Attend?

I think the cost could definitely be covered for a dealer only meeting/conference by maybe... the dealers?

What if everyone covered their travel and pitched in $300 to cover the hotel, meeting room, and food could it get done? A regional schedule would probably be the best course of action, too keep the travel costs down. I'm sure there are plenty of "dealer people" here that would know how to get this done even more efficiently. There would be plenty to discuss that's for sure. I don't know, maybe it's a pipe-dream.

Who would pay for a dealer only conference? Even the 20-group meetings have vendors paying for dinners.

Don't get me wrong - I completely agree with you. What would happen at a conference where there were no vendors?

No entirely true. In the NADA Internet 20-Group, the dealers pay for housing and meals.

I think the cost could definitely be covered for a dealer only meeting/conference by maybe... the dealers?

What if everyone covered their travel and pitched in $300 to cover the hotel, meeting room, and food could it get done? A regional schedule would probably be the best course of action, too keep the travel costs down. I'm sure there are plenty of "dealer people" here that would know how to get this done even more efficiently. There would be plenty to discuss that's for sure. I don't know, maybe it's a pipe-dream.

NADA already does this with their 2 Internet 20-Groups. They meet 3 times a year, after NADA, and after Driving Sales, and then once mid-year. I was involved with the NADA Internet 20-Group for 2 years and chairman for 1 before I resigned to pursue a different adventure.

There are several problems with dealer's only (especially internet/marketing only) meetings. First, there is such a wide range of structure and roles for "internet" people. You have BDC managers, marketing managers, social media managers, internet sales managers, group marketing directors, e-commerce directors, etc., etc. A person may fit one, a few, or several roles and responsibilities within the dealership. What is a hot or topic for one position doesn't fit into others.

Secondly and most important, this industry is so vendor heavy dealerships rely on vendors to do the work for them. As a majority, dealership personnel lacks a good understanding and can present on a topic. I've given several presentations in dealer's only meetings and when the discussion starts it's always "I have xyz do that for me.....". It's hard to discuss topics or action items if someone just gets a monthly report and/or a conference call once a month. Additionally, vendor talking points and sales often come into discussion. "I do this because xyz said it's do abc for our dealership."

@Joe Webb, @Jerry Thibeau , @Jeff Kershner, and @emiltsch put on a pretty good one-day regional meeting last year called Dealer Think Tank. Each presented, dealer round table discussions, and less of the vendor approach (besides a Cars.com service review pitch).

Something like that split over 2 days, with a few sessions each day and breakout group discussions would be a great approach.

For me, there is no comparison to what a 20 Group can do.

Conferences are great, and we all come back with ideas and a game plan. We also come back with zero accountability.

A 20 Group will hold you accountable.

I wish I could find a 20 Group for Independents, that was purely a Retail Sales Group. No Buy Here Pay Here, no whining and crying about Fixed Ops, just pure retail sales. Finance, advertising, desking, anything associated with the sale.

The high lights of the conferences make their way to the 20 Group via the Moderator.

For me, there is no comparison to what a 20 Group can do.

Conferences are great, and we all come back with ideas and a game plan. We also come back with zero accountability.
Our team is held accountable. Each person that attends a conference must submit a short summary of what they learned and what their plan of action is to actually take those ideas and put them into place. I would certainly agree that this is not the case everywhere, but it is important from our side to ensure we get good value for the dollars we invest in these events.

Reactions: Bill Simmons
Our team is held accountable. Each person that attends a conference must submit a short summary of what they learned and what their plan of action is to actually take those ideas and put them into place. I would certainly agree that this is not the case everywhere, but it is important from our side to ensure we get good value for the dollars we invest in these events.

By no means do I know the "ins and outs" of your store. If you have a way of getting accountability out of sending someone to a conference, then that is fantastic.