• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.
Visit Generations Digital

How many Categories of Internet Leads should there really be?

Rob

Boss
Apr 9, 2011
Awards
First Name
Rob
For me, internet leads come in 6 main flavors:
Dealer Website
Third Party (I lump classifieds in with OEM, OEM third party, and when I use them, regular ol' third parties. Classifieds should probably be broken out but I like to keep it simple)
Social
Special Finance (when we do them)
Database Mining
Misc

If I was selling Fords, I’d do the same as you for those Bronco leads.

Jan 27, 2014
First Name
Thomas
LOL, never!
I would try to keep the list no greater than 5 to 8 categories. Use the NADA suggestions and add what u see fit.
The goal should be simple and level.
And Go Gators!

Marc Lavoie

3rd Base Coach
Jan 3, 2019
First Name
Marc
It's a great question @Dan Sayer , can I ask why are you comparing the leads between stores exactly? Is it to see which store yields the best ROI per source or is it to see which stores actually handles the leads better?

Dan Sayer

Boss
Dec 4, 2009
Awards
First Name
Dan
It's a great question @Dan Sayer , can I ask why are you comparing the leads between stores exactly? Is it to see which store yields the best ROI per source or is it to see which stores actually handles the leads better?
Comparison between stores, an apples to apples review. ROI is usually viewed at the level of each individual source.

Reactions: Ryan Everson
Mar 21, 2012
Awards
First Name
Ryan
Comparison between stores, an apples to apples review. ROI is usually viewed at the level of each individual source.
Agreed, it's not fair to rank stores based on internet lead closing %, when a lot of it is dependent on each store's lead mix. A store with trigger leads could instantly move from worst to best by simply canceling that lead source.

Marc Lavoie

3rd Base Coach
Jan 3, 2019
First Name
Marc
Agreed, it's not fair to rank stores based on internet lead closing %, when a lot of it is dependent on each store's lead mix. A store with trigger leads could instantly move from worst to best by simply canceling that lead source.
Great point @Ryan Everson - This is super important for everyone to understand. Different geo/brands will play a huge role in messing up these numbers. It's going to be hard for you to make the right decision. Throw used car in the mix, it gets even trickier (y)