• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Huge results with VL Automotive Marketing

Joe is right - anyone can take 2 data sets, put them in Tableau and make them line up somewhere to prove something they want you to believe. Around my parts I'm the resident skeptic - if you give me a number or a % increase you better be able to back it up six ways til Sunday.

Everytime I present data to one of my clients, the first question out of his mouth each time is:
"Are the numbers going up because everyone's numbers are going up, or is it just us?"

It's always important to look at the outside factors in every statistic. Maybe your traffic went up because of a manufacturer incentive, not because your SEO suddenly got better, etc. The variables go on and on forever.

I agree, take it down please.

We have nothing to hide nor anything to prove. I agree with Joe that it's all about the process that dealers put in place that sells cars!
We do have meeting with clients and have them try to implement the best practices I've learned running a Internet Department in the past.
I do know a little about selling cars having sold cars for 20 years. Please take note that we only work with one client in their markets and we do not work with any other brands or the clients competitors.

If anyone here on this thread would like to see reporting please message me and we will email them to you at our earliest convenience.

Remember the only way you can get true and accurate reporting is through the server or the database in which the person is searching from, in most cases it is Yahoo, Bing or Google. 70% of the most valuable keyword ranking data is ‘not provided’ by Google anymore, so just ask yourself, how can a third party tool report on data they cannot receive.

That is why we use Google tools to get organic traffic information and our goal is to get our clients ranked on those three major search engines, Google, Bing and Yahoo.

I would like to thank DealerRefresh for having this site, and Jason with Hutchens Chevy for finding us here!

Manny Luna

Last edited:
The fact that this thread exists doesn't surprise me at all.

This is not an advertisement. I have been on this board for a long time. Yes, I am a friend of Manny and have done some consulting work with VL Automotive (when it doesn't conflict with my fishing). I have had a chance to meet with some clients helping with processes and marketing. I am everything but a SEO/SEM guru. This is a fact, I have seen a number of these stores go from run of the mill to market leaders. Seriously, I don't care about the analytic, I'm a show me the sales guy. The GMs and Internet directors feel the same way. Most of them have been able to cut budgets (mostly SEM/PPC) and continue to increase sales. I keep in contact with the people that I have worked with. I have yet to meet an unhappy VL client. Most frequent problem is finding themselves understaffed.

Joe, many of the stores, that have seen the biggest successes, have Dealer.com websites. Can't you do some research on those?

It's not about what research we can do or what analytics Joe can pull.. it's about seeing actual results.
I have a client that didn't have PPC ads at all - I created a $1000/month budget campaign for them, only targeting their local geographical area, and the results were stupendous. Their website traffic doubled, their floor traffic went up, their sales went up, etc. That doesn't make me a wizard or an A+ service provider - we just implemented something that should have been in places ages before.

Service providers can't be judged based on outlier cases, instant results, single markets, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not about what research we can do or what analytics Joe can pull.. it's about seeing actual results.
I have a client that didn't have PPC ads at all - I created a $1000/month budget campaign for them, only targeting their local geographical area, and the results were stupendous.

(note: this thread is morphing into an open discussion of doing a performance analysis)

Craig, your conclusion of "stupendous results" came from turning on a PPC campaign that should have been there before. This conclusion also assumes that if any dealer that is not advertising with PPC can expect significant results just by turning it on.

Sorry, I disagree with this. Please clarify.

I have a client that didn't have PPC ads at all - I created a $1000/month budget campaign for them, only targeting their local geographical area, and the results were stupendous. Their website traffic doubled, their floor traffic went up, their sales went up, etc. That doesn't make me a wizard or an A+ service provider - we just implemented something that should have been in places ages before.
That is great. If I knew you, the store, the market, I would be recommending you, also. The key is that "their sales went up".

I remember when Social Media was the rage on DealerRefresh. Funny, back then they didn't want to talk about ROI or sales increases. Joe was one of the few that objected.

Reactions: 1 person
That is great. If I knew you, the store, the market, I would be recommending you, also. The key is that "their sales went up".

Doug,

Advertising (done right) makes more web traffic & leads, BUT, that does not automatically make more "actual results". IMO, the majority of "actual results" are the responsibility of the leadership of dealership (People, Products, Process).

Advertising is gasoline
The store is the engine.

Slamming more gasoline into a engine does not make it run faster
-but-
take a high-performance engine that's able to burn more gasoline, now, you're smoking the tires.

Reactions: 2 people