• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Indoor Photo Areas

joe.pistell

Uncle Joe
Apr 7, 2009
Awards
First Name
Joe
Let's collect names of dealers that have built indoor photo areas

My first is da' players at SamSwope.com
http://www.samswope.com/Preowned-Inventory.aspx?InventoryId=27567056

Interesting features.
Money no object
Turn Table

My $0.02 Critique.
Overhead lighting is too hot (relative to rest of setting) causing sides of darker cars to be too dark. Also, interior camera flash is to be avoided when ever possible.

:dunno:What would I do now?
I see how they've tried to soften it with the fabric cover, but, it’s still too hot. The very bright overhead lighting fabric extends too deeply into the photo area causing the camera to darken all that it sees (the cameras job it to balance all the light and the dark to make the best blend)

Looks like we have LOW ceilings (due to the turntable?) IMO, I'd be pulling the lighting backward (towards the camera) to eliminate the overhead hotspot. Then extend out the wall material to merge into a seamless transition into the ceiling. All this is dependant on MOVING the lighting off of the top of the car and getting it toward the camera (which will help light up the sides of darker cars)

The car also looks like a toy on a stage. Its needs a visual aide to help the eye. I'd rent some silk plants and see what that can do for you. I'd also stop at a theater rental supplier and grill the staff there. Auto Groups often have an ad agency; I'd turn to them to offer some advice and resources to improve the results.

Just my $0.02

I like our studio much better but we did go with a turntable for several reasons
1. We were limited with space
2. How much does it cost to fix those bumpers after you back into a wall?
3. speeds up photo process
4. Lighting and positions are static so the need for a high end photographer are eliminated.
But Please critique because I know we could improve
CLICK HERE FOR PHOTOS FROM Swope Toyota

Big difference between Swope Auto and Sam Swope. You can tell in the websites too - Swope Auto gets it; Sam Swope seems like it is just trying to keep up with Swope Auto but doesn't really know what it is doing.

I'm not just saying that because of you Brian - just stating my observation.....and I only had to look at 3 pages on a Sam Swope site to figure that out.

Brian, that's off the hook. We've been contemplating something like this. I noticed your photos are very sharp and show the vehicle so well, any feedback on load times for the larger images? Also, how were you able to effectively blend the floor and the turntable so in photos they melt so well? That's the cats pajamas man!