• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Is Cargurus taking my money and then competing with me?

Todd Caputo

Getting Refreshed
Feb 9, 2012
First Name
Todd
I could use your help understang this...Is CG is taking our inventory, bidding it up on search, only to force dealers to buy their ‘cheaper’ subscription and then jack rates?? Am I seeing this correctly ?

Alexander Lau

Sr. Refresher
Feb 11, 2015
First Name
Alex
If that's their ploy, it's a bit dastardly.

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
May 1, 2006
First Name
Alex
I could use your help understang this...Is CG is taking our inventory, bidding it up on search, only to force dealers to buy their ‘cheaper’ subscription and then jack rates?? Am I seeing this correctly ?
This needs some investigation for sure!

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
May 1, 2006
First Name
Alex
Welp, I guess this is what it looks like. It is my understanding this dealer pays for CarGurus PPC.

Screen Shot 2018-05-11 at 11.02.16 AM.png

Reactions: craigh

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
May 1, 2006
First Name
Alex
Not sure I'm following this one! You are running SEM through CG? And your cars are also listed on CG? And CG runs their own SEM as well?
I think you're following it quite well. The part you're missing is the rate increases @Todd Caputo mentioned in the first post.

Steve Stauning

Jr. Refresher
Mar 15, 2012
First Name
Steve
I advise my clients to stay away from PPC provided by anyone who is also listing your inventory. You simply cannot serve two masters; and CarGurus, to their credit, has done a phenomenal job profiting from their offerings. (Check out their earnings compared to Cars.com, for example.)

Reactions: Alex Snyder

Eric Miltsch

Smile, it's good for you!
Apr 16, 2009
First Name
Eric
I advise my clients to stay away from PPC provided by anyone who is also listing your inventory. You simply cannot serve two masters; and CarGurus, to their credit, has done a phenomenal job profiting from their offerings. (Check out their earnings compared to Cars.com, for example.)
Completely agree Steve. Dealers need to understand why CG is going after the land grab: To create shareholder equity!

Spending your money to help drive more traffic back to a 3rd party site that creates an opportunity for shoppers to see the competition even faster is mind blowing for me.

Dealers continue to struggle with understanding how to optimize your own site to capture more leads.

Stop using legacy platforms when it’s been proven that your own site can attract and convert more shoppers for less money.

Reactions: Alex Snyder