• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Is this still a good way to make money?

I can't imagine they are doing this to all the vehicles. If they are, then I can't imagine they'll be in business much longer. There's always that one person who will walk into the dealership and just fall in love with this car because of all the options and how good the car looks. It will get sold. Loading a vehicle up like this is also a great way to sell accessories, I bet this dealerships accessories sales are higher than most.

Back when I sold in the 80's, we would always pimp one car up with a color matched ground effects package and all the trimmings. It would sell!

Everything in moderation. I think putting accessories on vehicles has its place. There is certainly some money to be made selling them, and customers generally have a hard time picturing them without seeing them. So I dont have a problem with loading one or two up for demo purposes. Price gouging is a different story though.

Is this still a good way to make money?

This is a $30,860 Accord with a $39,564 final price tag after options. That is an extra $8,000 or around a 25% increase in the final cost.

Most of the charges are optional equipment that the customer will be getting with the exception of the NW Adjusted MV for $999.

I don't want to get into whether this is right or wrong. My question is:

Is this still a good way to make money? Forcing products into the car or will customer nowadays just say they want a unit without them?

It's a good way for the Part Department to make money :)