• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Is WHAT you stock a marketing decision?

Thanksgiving. I feel like I have a lot to be thankful for today. I share some of these things with many of you: a great family, a job I love, good friends... and one thing that is probably unique to me. I'm thankful I waited most of the day before I wrote and posted this reply. Had I posted first thing in the morning, the response you're reading would have been much different.

First off, Yago, man I respect your passion. It shows in everything you write. I do fear that sometimes your passion leads you to post before you have all the facts. A few posts above, rather than argue point by point with you, I chose one as an example - the WRX you mentioned. It seems you had a passion to prove me wrong and did so by posting a link to an AutoBase inventory. You felt that the AutoBase database had a more precise inventory than Autotrader and Cars.com and by inference my company. We don't just look to those sources, our computers look at thousands of sources. In your haste, you failed to notice that I was speaking with some level of specificity - I was looking at 2009 vehicles only. The AutoBase database was for every year - only a few were '09s. This is a small point, but it is illustrative of a larger issue. After this response, I'm going to stop responding to you. There is nothing to be gained from one vendor questioning another endlessly. I've seen too many good threads (many that you've been on) disappear down a rabbit hole from that back and forth. So since I won't be replying to you or correcting misinformation, I ask that you please try to be factual and accurate in any future posts.

From your comments above, I think you're talking about our previous stocking tool. Provision was introduced on 11-11-11 and isn't an upgrade - it's a completely new way to look at stocking. Where you are completely correct is that our older stocking tool was under-utilized by dealers. There was a ton of good data, but it needed to be easier to understand and the tool needed to be easier to use. Some dealers made great use of the tool, but, I think, for many dealers it had too many steps, it perhaps wasn't intuitive enough and absolutely had room for improvement.

Over a year ago, we gained access to two powerful data streams - brand new information that has never been available before in the industry. So armed with triple the data previously available, Dale and the team started from scratch to develop a tool that answers 3 questions in 3 easy clicks: what to buy, what to pay, and where to find it. Multiple vehicles are suggested in every category and price point. All the suggestions are dealer-specific based on a dealer-developed Stocking Strategy. The exact auctions where these vehicles are available are a click away, complete with dates, lanes and run numbers. One more click and the dealer can have a proxy bid in place. We are very public with our innovations even with other vendors. I urge you to watch Dale's recorded webinar introducing Provision. That way, should you choose to continue discussing another vendor and their product, you'll at least be doing it armed with accurate information.

But Yago, I'd also urge you to move back to the original, non vendor-specific question of "is stocking a marketing decision". I'm convinced it is and it seems most of the community agrees. I'm not saying that every buyer and Used Car Manager should buy my product, but I do feel they should utilize as much data as they have available to them, to HELP with their decision making process, not replace it.

Ed,

Lets not get worked up. What we are writing here helps me and many people like me clear our thought about how these systems will help the biz. At no time I have expressed disatisfaction about your product or have said anything negative about it. My writings come from the ened to understand how your system or systems like yours will affect inventory and how can my systems works best and interact with yours as well as to explain all this to the clients that need help.

About the Subaru... I did notice the 09... but I decided to go broad because model didn't change in those year ranges. That was also coincidentaly attached to a discussion with a dealer a few weeks ago about the differences on model year changes, color combinations, etc. There is a tremendous data processing learning curve now that this is available to us.

I did watch Dale's webinar and found it extremely useful. The real work starts now on how to apply this to every individual dealer.

Lets not get worked up. What we are writing here helps me and many people like me clear our thought about how these systems will help the biz...My writings come from the ened to understand how your system or systems like yours will affect inventory and how can my systems works best and interact with yours...
Really Yago?

Ed's a big boy and certainly doesn't need me to defend him, but this really bothers me... You made a similarly condescending remark to me in this thread after I said I was done... I'm thankful for the dealers that jumped in and called you out there. I know exactly why Ed stopped replying to you, I made the same decision last week, and it wasn't because he was conceding anything.

This is DEALERrefresh, NOT YAGOrefresh... If you don't know why you're posting in a thread, why in the world are you posting?

Yago, I appreciate your passion, but take Ed up on the phone call if you really want to educate yourself on his product, or learn by reading, not posting. Let the dealers ask the questions. There's no question too hard from a dealer, but from another Vendor it just smells like http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f40/vendor-wars-2007.html.

I'm trying to help you maintain credibility here, please don't see this as anything but that.

It is extremely frustrating to repeatedly answer questions from another vendor with a "competing" product or desire to better their own business seemingly at the cost of yours. Ed had every right to "get worked up" as a post intended to better the community turned into a needless defense of his product.

I think this post has effectively answered the question, "Is what you stock a marketing decision." If the flat-out answer isn't "yes," then certainly all agree it should be.

And lost in some (I believe) well-intentioned but could-have-been-said-better posts was at least one interesting question that I think would make for an interesting discussion:

With all the available market intelligence available to today's GM's, why isn't more actually used?

What do you think, new thread?

Really Yago?

Ed's a big boy and certainly doesn't need me to defend him, but this really bothers me... You made a similarly condescending remark to me in this thread after I said I was done... I'm thankful for the dealers that jumped in and called you out there. I know exactly why Ed stopped replying to you, I made the same decision last week, and it wasn't because he was conceding anything.

This is DEALERrefresh, NOT YAGOrefresh... If you don't know why you're posting in a thread, why in the world are you posting?

Yago, I appreciate your passion, but take Ed up on the phone call if you really want to educate yourself on his product, or learn by reading, not posting. Let the dealers ask the questions. There's no question too hard from a dealer, but from another Vendor it just smells like http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f40/vendor-wars-2007.html.

I'm trying to help you maintain credibility here, please don't see this as anything but that.

It is extremely frustrating to repeatedly answer questions from another vendor with a "competing" product or desire to better their own business seemingly at the cost of yours. Ed had every right to "get worked up" as a post intended to better the community turned into a needless defense of his product.

Ryan,

I'm sorry if I sounded condescendent to you, I was an ass---le in that comment that I made to you in that thread. My writing had nothing positive for anyone and I should have not posted it. I got caught in the heat of the moment. However I did stay out of 'vendor wars' and I did not mentioned my product or made any allegations about it. The discusion was about the policies of reviews in the Internet in general, Dealer rater, and how they affect the dealers.

To answer your questions about this thread:

I posted in this thread because we are very integrated with vAuto to the point that we grant them full access to our system so they make prices changes in real time in our databases. How vAuto changes things may affect how we need to design our system in the future.

We don't have nor we are developing a competing product with vAuto.

But just because vAuto created a great system doesn't mean people will use it (look at Sony Betamax Vs VHS). My 2 concerns are: will large numbers of dealers adapt to use it (the new provisioning)? Will the way the market works allow dealers to implement what they learn?

If you read my posts I don't think I said anything negative about vAuto at any time nor I promoted a product that I have to compete with theirs (because we don't have one).

Sorry that you are frustrated and sorry that I may be the cause of your frustration. I truly with you a good Thanks Giving week end.

Last edited:
I think this post has effectively answered the question, "Is what you stock a marketing decision." If the flat-out answer isn't "yes," then certainly all agree it should be.

And lost in some (I believe) well-intentioned but could-have-been-said-better posts was at least one interesting question that I think would make for an interesting discussion:

With all the available market intelligence available to today's GM's, why isn't more actually used?

What do you think, new thread?
JQ - I see two reasons: 1.) As Joe stated, culture is the hardest thing to change and 2.) the tools need to be made easier to use.

It's up to vendors to continue to evolve and innovate. To provide not just more, and more accurate data but to present it in the most accessible way possible.

As for the culture change, we see it happening. Perhaps too slowly, but it is definitely going on. Much like Joe's post on MoneyBall, after a few "wins", the competition really starts paying attention. About a third of MLB teams now have full-time Sabermetric analysts. Other teams have to look at these teams (including Saint Louis) and their successes and evaluate if they are missing the boat. It's an ongoing, evolving, process.

The same process is going on in the car business.

Yag,

I forget you're a craiglist vendor, no wonder your so far behind us.

Nothing wrong with wanting to learn and with arguing a position to understand better the business.

You see I could have said "joe, you are just a car salesman. I got a degree in computer science" however I know that your experience far outweights my knowledge and thru the discussions in dealer refresh I hope to gain some of that knowledge. So from that perspective being a CL vendor is not that bad. Some of us even believe that sites like CL are transforming the automotive industry one town at a time.

I've learned a lot from people like Ryan Leslie (even though he hates me now) and for that I'm thankful (I've offered to buy drinks several times, at a risk of him adding some sedatives to mine and beating me up once I'm drowsy), but there is more than vendor wars in these arguments. I think of things my own way and thru testing my ideas I can learn better ways. I for example don't think I compete with Dealer Rater. They are a one website system and I build small 'by dealer' systems'. Most dealers will use both sooner or later. My way will be broken into multiple website companies building these sites. Ryan's company will have at best 1 more competitor (business rater?). However I wanted to kow if what I tell the dealers is the right approach? I'm convinced it is, but testing that against other's opinions will make me a better consultant. Most of the times the truth lies somewhere in between what we believe and what other preach.