• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

"I've never had a computer." Paradigm shift from next door.

This is a perfect post for shameless self promotion.
Like saying "Hey we do mobile websites and mobile apps"
Sorry, but I could not resist.

However, on a more serious note inline with the conversation, I would say, tablets, phablets, and phones are great tools for research. But PCs are still the productivity tools. I have 3 tablets, 3 phones and 2 desktops.
I use my "mobile" devices only for surfing / researching. But when I have to do anything productive, like write this post, or send a business email, I use my trusty desktop.

A truck it may be, but a truck that helps me be productive.

Kelly,

I like your focus on the mobile experience from the standpoint of a dealership website, but have you considered what the consumer receives after providing their information on your mobile friendly site?

We've secret shopped a number of our competitors and have found their email action plan follow up templates require a lot of pinching and dragging. The templates rendered horribly on iPhone and Android devices. We started doing more research and found that nearly half of all emails are opened and read on a mobile device. We immediately went to work on creating templates that fit well on any screen, from our CRM life cycle emails, to our recurring service reminders, and our targeted monthly sales broadcasts.

This is definitely an area to consider if you haven't done so already. Feel free to take a peek at a few of our email templates (found in a recent post from last week) Elevate Your Email Performance With Video

This doesn't surprise me. It does but then it doesn't.

Cars.com recently commissioned a study with the research firm Placed Inc. to better understand how car shoppers use their mobile devices during the shopping process, and to learn how mobile affects consumer decisions on dealership lots.

What did they find?

25% of consumers used ONLY a smartphone to research their next vehicle before visiting a dealership.

That’s a big chunk. Higher than I would have expected, but then again… maybe not. I find myself researching particular items on my iPhone only. Usually for less expensive items, and off the cuff purchase.

What did you last research or purchase using your iPhone or Android phone only?

It looks like the "Age of Mobile" is firmly upon us...

"This is the first time we're not featuring a desktop computer in our commercials," said John Kovac, senior vice president of marketing, Cox Automotive. "More than 50 percent of visitors to AutoTrader visit the site via a mobile device, so we wanted to show off the new features we have that specifically cater to the mobile user. We're thrilled that consumers have responded so favorably."
- New Advertising Campaign Results in Best June Ever for AutoTrader.com

Last edited:
Justin,

I spent a month working with our ad company to create a template that displays well on both computers and phones. I was very sad with the outcome (and they won't be doing any more design work for me.). I have been pushing my CRM company and many different marketing partners to provide better communication tools to create an optimal customer experience. Sadly, my web provider does not have a way for dealers to edit pages on their new responsive site. Until I can edit pages myself, I am still with my full and mobi versions. I know what I want to give my customers, I'm sad I can't provide they with the best experience on mobile just yet.

Sadly, my web provider does not have a way for dealers to edit pages on their new responsive site.

I'm afraid with websites becoming more and more advanced, especially with responsive UI's, the WYSIWYG editors are pretty much obsolete. You or your web provider will need to work with the front-end code directly. Making responsive, retina ready sites is a definite undertaking :/

#BumpItTuesday - We had a different thread in mind for #bumpittuesday but after reading Alex's post from yesterday around PC vs Mac at the dealership I remembered this thread...:hidepc:

My son adopted my somewhat older but still very much thriving 17" iMac. I bought him a nice desk and chair to go along with it. Figured he would really appreciate the power and larger screen. Especially with homework, games and since it's a 27" it doubles as a decent screen for watching movies/shows on Netflix, Hulu and YouTube. That was 2 years ago. I bet he's used that computer maybe 12 times. IN TWO YEARS!

He uses his iPhone for EVERYTHING! His school supports Google Classroom so he even does most of his homework (writing assignments) on his phone - typing and speech to text.

I use a MacBook here at the dealership but I hardly ever take it home anymore, most of what I need to do can be accomplished on my phone.

With that being said, there's no way I could replace my laptop 100% for my phone and I'm sure with some time my son will need to fire up the 'ol iMac. Of course by then, it will be completely obsolete, forcing me to purchase something new. I think we will eventually see a resurgence in dock-able phones that have the horsepower to do just about everything the average person needs.

I spend more and more time using my phone for work related tasks...

CRM app for lead management and appraisals
SnapLot (Homenet) for inventory data management
CarStory Track & Appraise (insights) for inventory management and trade-values
Outlook for email
DealerRater and Prime apps to help manage reviews
AutoiPacket for customer follow-up

You?

#BumpItTuesday - We had a different thread in mind for #bumpittuesday but after reading Alex's post from yesterday around PC vs Mac at the dealership I remembered this thread...:hidepc:

My son adopted my somewhat older but still very much thriving 17" iMac. I bought him a nice desk and chair to go along with it. Figured he would really appreciate the power and larger screen. Especially with homework, games and since it's a 27" it doubles as a decent screen for watching movies/shows on Netflix, Hulu and YouTube. That was 2 years ago. I bet he's used that computer maybe 12 times. IN TWO YEARS!

He uses his iPhone for EVERYTHING! His school supports Google Classroom so he even does most of his homework (writing assignments) on his phone - typing and speech to text.

I use a MacBook here at the dealership but I hardly ever take it home anymore, most of what I need to do can be accomplished on my phone.

With that being said, there's no way I could replace my laptop 100% for my phone and I'm sure with some time my son will need to fire up the 'ol iMac. Of course by then, it will be completely obsolete, forcing me to purchase something new. I think we will eventually see a resurgence in dock-able phones that have the horsepower to do just about everything the average person needs.

I spend more and more time using my phone for work related tasks...

CRM app for lead management and appraisals
SnapLot (Homenet) for inventory data management
CarStory Track & Appraise (insights) for inventory management and trade-values
Outlook for email
DealerRater and Prime apps to help manage reviews
AutoiPacket for customer follow-up

You?
My laptop rarely leaves home with me now -- When I'm out visiting dealers, it's all phone (Android) and Apple iPad.

I have enough components to build my 8 year old son a super nice PC, but he has no interest. The iPad and Nintendo Switch are all he wants. We tried passing down an old MacBook Pro but he wasn't into using a keyboard. Fortunately, they're now using PCs in his school.