• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Low Cost Live Chat Software

2. The referring URL and Keywords shoppers used to find your website. This gives you valuable insight about what the shopper is thinking and looking for as they start to shop on your dealership website. You also want a system that will push your PPC keyword information back into your Google Analytics so you can track which keywords are converting to chats and at what cost.

3. First time visitor or returning visitor, with current and previous click paths available for review to identify exactly which vehicles the site visitor is interested in. This is like having a print out of every webpage a consumer visited to prepared your sales pitch, before they visit the dealership. Understanding your shoppers’ needs and desires allows you to craft a very powerful sales presentation. That is what Chat intelligence can offer you.

4. GEO‐IP targeting to identity if the shopper is local, or even a competitor checking out your website. Location gives you insight into your online approach, especially if you are a dealership that will give more aggressive pricing to a shopper outside your local market. Chat intelligence, not IM software, gives you that information and more.

5. “Shop with me technology.†This is a term you will be reading more and more about in the coming months as chat technology has improved. Sending a link to a shopper on chat is one thing, but redirecting their browser is much more powerful. “Shop with me†lets you lead shoppers around your website, explain things as you go, and lets you give you a powerful online presentation, with you in complete control.

How do you adjust for tabbed browsing? RIght now I have 15+ tabs open, and most of the people I know browse this way. So for instance it might show that I have been on Dealer .com sight for the past 10 mins, when actually Ive just opened the link in a tab for viewing once I get to it.

Shop with me technology? doesnt that take a lot of permissions? do firewalls and anti-virus programs get in the way? how much of resource hog is it? Id be amazed if the 20 to 40 year olds would let someone commandeer their browser. How do you get around all of the plugins and blockers that firefox users install?

Im just throwing out thoughts from the consumer point of view, and questions I have personally, not attacking your software.

<--- Contact at Once user, I still am amazed at how well CaO's chat backup team works when our sales force is too busy to chat. Highly reccomended!

I just tested your site, and eventually got this message,

"I have stepped away from my desk and cannot respond to your message right at the moment. However you are important to me. Please leave me a message and I will get back to you as soon as I can."

Not a big issue, because you guys are closed on Sundays(just noticed that, after the fact). The only problem I had was that once I went to another tab in the browser while waiting for a reply the chat box minimized and did NOT maximize when the new message/prompt was sent by the chat software. It would be good if you could get the chat box to pop back up to the foreground any time you send a message to the customer, lots of other chats I have used do this.

Im just trying to learn all I can, so I am hitting a lot of the sites of people who post in this forum.

Last edited:
I understand what you are saying. The problem is that the chat is featured in a corner somewhere. That is fine but it won't produce the amount of conversations as a moving ad for chat.

I think your idea is great but the results would be minimal. Just my opinion.

Off subject this entire page including the content box is a button for the car research ad above. Funny!

Also, on FB you're logged in already, there is some accountability involved and you only see "chats" from users that you're friends with.

You're reccomending the home page with a 2x3 time max? I couldn't dissagree with you more. But I'll try it.

1st, the HomePage is the "fly-over" page. No one give's a r*ts *ss what's on the front page. They're on their way to find a ride, not the home page. Next, I've blown my 33 to 50% of my impressions right out of the gate? I can see how a fast chat drop in on the front page can "plant a seed", but my avg visitor looks at 13 pages. (not all dealer sites have this average, we just have a lot of units forsale).

I'll try it and update you on my findings.

Your homepage is where a customer decides in about 3 to 5 seconds whether they want to do business with you. It is your storefront.

I wouldn't dismiss its importance.

For those of you looking for a low cost or even free live chat software for your website, here are a couple to try

Starts at $29 a month
Live Chat Software for Website Sales and Support | BoldChat

Free version?
Live Chat Download

If you are interested in "manned" chat for when your dealership staff can't answer, then there are tons of companies that offer that as well. I would be sure to use one that is automotive focused. Here are a couple that I know.

Northwind Software: Lead Converter a Real-Time Automotive Chat Solution.

Automotive chat service for dealerships looking to sell more vehicles on there dealership website - activEngage

Yo Matt,

Since you started this great hit of a post. What are your thoughts after everyones input? If you use a 3rd party vendor to sell your used cars you probably have access to live chat via Contact At Once for free on their sites. Would you still go another route and use two different chat solutions? Just curious!

Thanks for starting this post. I feel all chat companies that I know of have specific strengths and they all are different. Find the chat company that best fits your store. Either way I highly recommend chat to all dealers.

Hi Guys

Long time no see. WOW we were busy with Cash for Clunkers chats. Chat volume more than tripled! How about the rest of you guys, have you seen a major difference in your chat volumes sense Monday? Happy to have enough time now to socialize a little :)

Your homepage is where a customer decides in about 3 to 5 seconds whether they want to do business with you. It is your storefront.

I wouldn't dismiss its importance.

John

I agree with you 100%. The home page is where the majority of chatting takes place. I read your last few posts, and you are on the money. The two most important things for anyone offering chat on their website is: 1. Be there to answer the chat! 2. Make sure you have an effective proactive greeting process in place to increase chat volume.

Shereef

Last edited: