• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

My next Blackberry - 9630 Tour aka Niagra

Alex Snyder

President Skroob
Staff member
May 1, 2006
Awards
First Name
Alex
I'm currently using the Storm and really like it. My biggest complaint is how it eats memory throughout the day and needs a hard reset (battery pull) at least once a week. I am actually getting really fast with the portrait keyboard (like the Pearl's) and absolutely love the big screen. That larger screen makes a world of difference when browsing the Internet, reading a long email, reading Viigo / Twitter / faceBook, and anything else. And I'll never own another phone that doesn't have at least 3G.

So what could get me to change? A storm with more memory and a full keyboard. I can forego the larger screen for a little while. Hell, I seem to only keep a phone 6 months anyway.

My current anticipated favorite looks to be the 9630. If Verizon carries it and it is definitely 3G capable, I'll have it.

Crackberry has a great review on an early edition: BlackBerry Tour 9630 Hands-On Hardware First Look! | CrackBerry.com

Alex,

I also have the Storm, but I am not all that impressed with the quality when using its main feature "talking on the phone." I've always had better sound quality when using a regular flip phone. Have you found this to be true? My other gripe is when typing e-mails, it's very easy to grab the wrong letters. If I had smaller fingers it would probably be easier. I do love all the other aspects of the device. Visual Voice Mail and Navigation rock!

The apps don't seem as good as the iPhone yet. Have you found any good apps you like to use? I found one called "Trapster." Supposedly it will alert an individual to speed traps. I'll have a chance to check that one out on Sunday when I drive to PA.

Jerry Thibeau
National Sales Trainer
iMagicLab

Thanks for reminding me Jerry - how could I have forgotten? :egads:

The phone part of the Storm definitely needs some work. I don't have any issues with clarity or quality - just in function. If you haven't installed a leaked OS, get Keith to give you a hand. The newer OS's are much better.

Plugins I have (and like):

• YouTube
  • Viigo
  • Visual Voicemail - yep, rocks!
  • Tiny Twitter
  • faceBook
  • Bubble Burst
  • Uno

That's enough to keep me busy!

Yea, I can't live without Viigo!

Alex, as you know I have the BlackBerry Javelin 8900 Hands-On Hardware First Look | CrackBerry.com which I believe is very much like the 9630 withOUT the 3G. I've never had 3G so I don't know what I'm missing.

My 8900 is hands down the best phone I have ever owned. I have thought about the iPhone a few times and I love all the apps but at the end of the day I need to bang out some emails and txt's with having an iTouch and messing about with that for some time now..I still can't get used to that keyboard, too many mistakes.

I have a question that I cant seem to find the answer for anywhere online...go figure. Most likely because it can't be done.

Emails that need an action, I usually mark as "unread" BUT I want to be able to delete "read" emails. I there a way of deleting ONLY unread emails form your blackberry email?

Anyone have a clue?

There is a setting on your blackberry that will allow to change things so you're only deleting the file on your blackberry.

Go into your email >> menu key into options >> Email Reconciliation >> "Delete On" - change this field to how you want it.

Alex & Jeff,
I've had many blackberry's in the past and then decided to try the iphone. My goodness what a difference, the iphone kicks blackberry in the berry's! Moral of the story whats your obsession with Blackberry? Don't you think its time to move to a phone with a real internet browser?