• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Need Technical or Business help? Ask kcar, kcar knows all!

kcar has all the potential in the world and I LOVE strong opinions like his because it shows his passion... but... if his passion is really all about himself, then, I don't get a sh*t what he thinks (JQ, you've personally seen me drop the hammer on "stage hogs", you know how I am ;-).

Look at all the self-less players here that have made 50 posts or more. Every single one of these people have helped me make more money.

Name..........................................# of Posts
bpreston59
Brent Palen80
Brian Tucker139
brianpasch60
CAORYAN290
CFrentzen172
Chip Grueter61
CliffC63
Craig bulowski165
DanMorgan65
danoneil392
davidmoon293
DrewAment176
ECURB90
Ed Brooks244
Eley Duke105
ghen258
iceman10163
Jake L56
Jarrett129
Jason Walter92
Jeff Kershner1,136
Jerry Thibeau609
JesseJ57
JoePistell1,497
JohnScott163
JQuinn88
Katie66
kevinfrye131
KoreyB60
Marc McGurren94
Matt DoCampo112
mattwatson81453
mikeelmore79
Mitch Gallant270
Mitchell Brenner105
MullerToyota97
Nathan Carr63
NickCybela68
Ryan Leslie116
Ryan Thompson278
Shawn Morse52
Shereef154
Stefan105
terrencegordon52
tijerin53
TuneyFish89
umer.autojini98
Walt Kustra65
yagoparamo174

We all have our moments of stupidness (me especially, sorry 'bout that rant TG!), but, for the most part, every soul on that list is truly motivated to pass along ideas to help others.

It's all about the community thread. Someone cuts it and never contributes... a beat down is coming.

Reactions: 1 person
kcar,

re: SEO

Here's a few unsolved SEO puzzles that are on my todo list. I need some help:

1. I'd like your thoughts on the importance of site architecture*.
  2. I am especially interested in your thoughts of faceted navigation (its all the rage!). Especially helpful would be how to get feedback to optimize path specific faceted navigation (i.e. SUV > AWD > Price??)
  3. Have you seen any examples of an auto dealer web vendor using Schema.org microdata? We're missing the "Rich Snippet" train!
  4. Car dealers have a catalog site, It's ecommerce site with no checkout. Duplicate content is everywhere. A bot's time to crawl a site is not infinite (aka "Crawl budget").
    1. Have you been in GA webmasters tools to prevent Google from crawling dupe pages (i.e. URL sort by prices). If so, what did you find? If not, why not?
    2. In your opinion, how should website vendors conquer this problem at the site level? Use “canonical†tags or should they just be blocked?

* Please talk about where we're at in the site architecture evolution(relative to other industries).

Joe, I'm a good Sales Manager with marketing skills. I didn't understand half of what you posted. "Faceted navigation, schema.org, microdata, rich snippet? I'm strong in my area but I often worry that advances in technology will make this old guy obsolete.

Joe, I'm a good Sales Manager with marketing skills. I didn't understand half of what you posted. "Faceted navigation, schema.org, microdata, rich snippet? I'm strong in my area but I often worry that advances in technology will make this old guy obsolete.

DDavis - I used to be a good Sales Manager, who progressed through management and now direct all Marketing for a good-sized group -- and Joe leaves me in the dust with half the schtuff he talks about -- so DON'T FEEL BAD!! :)

DD,

I am a world class digital marketing manager that couldn't sell a heater to an Eskimo... hahaha ;-)

Everything I wrote won't sell you more cars tomorrow, but, everything I wrote SHOULD BE in planning meetings in every web vendor in our space. I am the point man on our indie website and I am working on a ground up makeover http://forum.dealerrefresh.com/f43/used-car-king-make-over-diary-1683.html

kcar thinks he's an accomplished digital marketing player and I'm simply looking for his insight. I revealed just a few of the technical/marketing challenges that lie before me...

Strangely, kcar is silent __:2quiet:__

Oh, one last thing DD.

A Car Dealer website is simply a catalog that happens to have buttons. Forget all the tech crap, marketing's job never changes. Display your merchandise, tell a story to engage the shopper, make that phone ring (aka: call to action), then ring that register!

I got Joes punch once at the beggining of my walk in the forums when I posted some of my Craigslist banners, etc. But I holded my ground and, right or wrong, made a case for my work and at least contributed with that to offer a different POV to the dealers reading the forum.

Getting heat makes you better, for as long as you are willing to work with it, give some by contributing, take some by listening.