• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

New Car leads with 'false' information...

Don Scott

Full Sticker
Apr 15, 2009
First Name
Don
We all get leads from time to time where the prospect will provide false information. They will give a phone number that is good, but not their own. Sometimes they will even provide a false e-mail address. The address works (they're usually checked by the lead provider), but is not the person who sent the lead.

I usually attribute this to a customer that felt it was required that leave a phone number, but did not want to be bothered on the phone. Sometime they are simply 'kids' playing around (seeing more of this on the Camaro now).

I have looked these prospects up on whitepages.com, and edited submitted data for 'actual' data, but how do most of you handle these 'leads'? Do you feel like you are getting more 'false' leads lately?

Thanks for any ideas.

We all get leads from time to time where the prospect will provide false information. They will give a phone number that is good, but not their own. Sometimes they will even provide a false e-mail address. The address works (they're usually checked by the lead provider), but is not the person who sent the lead.

I usually attribute this to a customer that felt it was required that leave a phone number, but did not want to be bothered on the phone. Sometime they are simply 'kids' playing around (seeing more of this on the Camaro now).

I have looked these prospects up on whitepages.com, and edited submitted data for 'actual' data, but how do most of you handle these 'leads'? Do you feel like you are getting more 'false' leads lately?

Thanks for any ideas.

If I go to a website and it requires me to put a phone number and I don't want to give it, I usually put their phone number! I'm sure they find that funny.

If it requires and email and I don't want to give it.. I put in [email protected]

I know that I have certainly put false information into a lead form before...usually just because i do not want to be contacted, or feel like my info would not be safe, etc.

of course, this is always a problem with leads, basically filtering out the good ones to focus on...

it seems with more and more car buyers searching online first, "lead verification" would be pretty important.

Here's a thought:

Using a third-party call center to make a simple follow-up call as soon as possible after the lead form is filled out.

We verify the info and that the customer is requesting a quote, then forward it to the dealer.

this will save a dealer time and money because:

it takes an average of 7 attempts to reach a person nowadays,
the sooner you follow-up with an internet lead the better,
it's much cheaper for us to make phone calls than your staff, and they can concentrate on the quality leads from now on...

this would cost us around 5 bucks per "verified lead" however we can also deliver unlimited specific used and new car leads already pre-cleaned and verified with this process for 30 bucks a pop. any that you dont feel are good leads, we simply credit you back towards another, no questions asked.

i want your honest opinion on this, as it is a new program i have come up with using some business models that are already out there. the only difference is that in the past we have always followed up with dealer's leads and customers after they have already contacted the dealer. this would all happen before their contact with the dealer.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK...now I have a new problem/question related to this original post. I have been vigorously checking the 'bad leads' using whitepages.com. For many of these I find a correct phone number and I amend the data in our lead.

Now for the question:

Do I call these leads with the number that I now have?

Also my 'Sales Process' has one of our managers make a follow-up call at +3 days. Whether I call or not, do I let the process proceed, and let him make this call?

Thanks for your learned insight, folks...

Part of our process to help cut back on false phone numbers and addresses is Polk Lead Scoring. Leads that get bounced up against data points and the correct information (if available) is appended to the lead. It's never 100% accurate but it does help.

This can also help us determine what we do with these leads for short and long term follow-up.

If I go to a website and it requires me to put a phone number and I don't want to give it, I usually put their phone number! I'm sure they find that funny.
I have actually seen one of our sales team send out and email... "and I'll be calling you at 888 DEALER# in a few moments to follow up!"
They might not find it at all... and you'd find it funny!

We take the approach of move on..I tell my guys to focus their time on the leads that are wanting info and direction. As for following up with them using the number you got from the whitepages...I personally would not because if the customer wanted to be followed up with they would have given you the correct info. I mark them invalid an move on!

We take the approach of move on..I tell my guys to focus their time on the leads that are wanting info and direction. As for following up with them using the number you got from the whitepages...I personally would not because if the customer wanted to be followed up with they would have given you the correct info. I mark them invalid an move on!

I know what you're saying Jason. Lets work with people that want to be worked with. If you were not willing to give a number than why waste the time on that customer?

I will say, from my own experiences..there were many times I wanted to "get" information and direction but was just not ready to give up the phone number. These customers need to be nurtured a little more, there is an additional brick wall and it's our job to figure out how best to penetrate. There are additional sales here, so don't short yourself focusing ONLY on the low hanging fruit unless you can afford to do so.

I will agree, if someone did not give their number but you go find it and call them you could have an interesting call on your hands. 1. They will get pissed and move on 2. Be impressed that you took the time to seek them out.

I would guess you'll get customer #1 more often. :) and have to have the skills to overcome that objection.

I have actually seen one of our sales team send out and email... "and I'll be calling you at 888 DEALER# in a few moments to follow up!"
They might not find it at all... and you'd find it funny!

Ahhh...that sound like the work of a template not being reviewed before hitting send. ALWAYS review your emails and templates before sending.