• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

New Reynolds and Reynolds process to prevent third party data collection.

Here we go again with RR.

We went through this once before Circa 2009 when RR decided to shut off modem access....Ok Fair enough...technological advancement is a good thing.

One of our dealers with a zealous IT manager who braved the hold times and support tansfers was told that RR was undergoing a systematic endeavor to block any 3rd parties that were not RR certified.

This was after polling hadn't occurred for a few days and when he looked itno it he realized that not only had many of his 3rd parties been locked but they had been completely erased.

This particular dealer was using Integra-Link to allow vendors to gain access as was the solution that ended up the case for many of our dealers after the modem shut-off. (At that time we were told by RR that Integra-Link was the only option)

To my understanding from his account...when he asked the question of which vendors were certified the answer was...none?

In this particular case their contract had ended with RR and they were beginning the proccess of changing to ADP though still well within their cancellation period. Hmmmmm.?

Regardless, it seems that RR has an agenda here that is not in the best interest of their clients but more for the potential of further revenue gain.

We are hearing similar stories about challenges with access prohibitions from dealerships, third parties and service providers.

The Open Secure Access Coalition (http:OSA Home) believes that data is a dealership asset, and that it can and should be available for use by a dealership’s trusted partners. ‘Certified’ access can make sense, if those programs are available, affordable and able to meet dealerships’ needs, and those of their trusted vendors. Any stamping of other data access approaches into a ‘data broker’ category is awfully convenient. That categorization is not consistent with most group’s interests: OSA and its members believe that data should only be accessed with the full knowledge and approval of a dealership, and only for approved uses. In essence, dealers rely on employees, vendors and third parties to handle a particular transaction or activity on the dealership’s behalf. That’s not data brokering – that’s getting the job done.

We encourage dealerships to really understand the data access requirements and opportunities of all their systems and services providers, to be certain that they can work together. Ask enough questions to understand their policies and actions. If OSA can help structure those questions or a discussion, let us know.

To whom it may concern,

Reynolds and Reynolds has a new process to prevent third party data collection from a dealers DMS. Security is very important, but everywhere I look, Reynolds has taken a completely combative anti-dealer, anti-vendor posture that clearly shows Reynolds’ main goal is to erect a vendor toll booth into the DMS and call it Reynolds Certified Access. Reynolds will force vendors to pay to become certified. Who pays the vendors… DEALERS.

“Reynolds’ main goal is to erect a vendor toll booth into the DMS and call it Reynolds Certified Access.”

Reynolds presents this effort to the dealer body as a security measure to protect its dealers. Every aspect of this new initiative from Reynolds is done in an uncooperative, anti-dealer spirit. This combative attitude is all about defending a new profit center for Reynolds. Examples are everywhere, here is but one…

IS HOMENET THE ENEMY… REALLY?
Homenet, a division of AutoTrader, owned by Cox Enterprises must qualify for “best of class” vendor status. Cox that brings us other little known companies like Manheim, Kelly Blue Book and VIN solutions, clearly they are a vendor with stellar credentials. Thousands and thousands of dealers everywhere in the USA depend on HomeNet to make our inventory visible online. HomeNet warehouses our inventory and they make it available to our websites and distribute our inventory to classified sites like Cars.com and Autotrader.com.

Why in the world is HomeNet being shut out of the Reynolds DMS? It’s because HomeNet refuses to pay ransom to the gatekeeper… Reynolds. Reynolds knows full well that dealers are under contract and loathe the thought of finding a new DMS vendor. This fuels a pompous, anti-dealer posture that helps no one but Reynolds.

Reynolds Inc, If you’re here to protect your dealers, then why the combative, uncooperative, anti-dealer profit grab? Let’s call it like it really is. Reynolds Security initiative is simply a TOLL BOOTH TAX on your dealer network wrapped in a security blanket.

Get off your high horse. It’s not the vendors fault your DMS is flawed. It is your responsibility to build a system that is secure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Why in the world is HomeNet being shut out of the Reynolds DMS? It’s because HomeNet refuses to pay ransom to the gatekeeper… Reynolds. Reynolds knows full well that dealers are under contract and loathe the thought of finding a new DMS vendor. This fuels a pompous, anti-dealer posture that helps no one but Reynolds.

Reynolds Inc, If you’re here to protect your dealers, then why the combative, uncooperative, anti-dealer profit grab? Let’s call it like it really is. Reynolds Security initiative is simply a TOLL BOOTH TAX on your dealer network wrapped in a security blanket.

Earlier in this thread I made a similar comment, and received this message:

DBates6668 said:
If you will send me an e-mail so i have your rahal address i will send you what i sent to Jesse and explain what we are doing and why. I think you may have a misconception as to our motives and approach and want to assure you our intent is not to lock out users like yourself. you can reach me at (email address).

Dave, if you would like to clear up misconceptions I believe this forum is the proper venue. I am clearly not alone in my opinion of ReyRey's recent tactics, and I'm sure the community would value yours.

Reactions: 3 people
Security?

Let's see... having to "un-automate" a process and place a "human" at a terminal to run and view the raw data is somehow more secure than the process in place yesterday which all by itself, ran and transferred data from a system in the locked communications room?

Does anybody get it?

Reactions: 1 person
To whom it may concern,

IS HOMENET THE ENEMY… REALLY?
Homenet, a division of AutoTrader, owned by Cox Enterprises must qualify for “best of class” vendor status. Cox that brings us other little known companies like Manheim, Kelly Blue Book and VIN solutions, clearly they are a vendor with stellar credentials. Thousands and thousands of dealers everywhere in the USA depend on HomeNet to make our inventory visible online. HomeNet warehouses our inventory and they make it available to our websites and distribute our inventory to classified sites like Cars.com and Autotrader.com.

What about Integra-link? it is owned by Cobalt-ADP (we have been using them to do the RR poll for our dealers). Now they are also experiencing issues.

For our uses, becoming a 'certified vendor' is pointless. The costs are crazy considering the number of dealers we service that use R&R. Also the fields they provide don't cover 25% of our needs. I'm assuming we will find another way to continue pulling data but it is really stressful at this point.

Last edited: