• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Newest CRM thoughts

dwagner

Full Sticker
Dec 15, 2011
First Name
Darren
Hi all!! My name is Darren Wagner, Internet Manager at Horter Chevrolet in Mukwonago, WI. I was previously in sales, and after a few years off have returned in this position. First I want to give a HUGE Than you:banana: to all of you who make this forum possible, and all the knowledge, experiences, and help that everyone gives. Makes a huge undertaking seem alot less overwhelming.

I have read as much as possible on going with the right CRM, and know the decision will never be an easy one. We currently do not have a CRM, and use GM Onesource as my ILM. Without blasting apart OneSource, I'm sure everyone knows the position I am in with these AMAZING tools. :rofl: We have had alot of demos, and alot of price diffrences. My reason for starting this new thread was to get everyones newest and updated opinions on what is working for them. I know alot of this has been covered, but with as fast as the technology moves I would like to get the latest thoughts of what is best. For instance I have seen AVV and Autobase are under Dominion, and I wonder if that is affecting anyone. We are a small dealership, that has an even smaller budget, but this is an area I really want to show that we will get what we pay for, and without having that direct knowledge it is hard to prove my point. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Also ANY advice for a stater would be great too.

Thanks in advance,

Darren

Choosing a CRM is not a simple decision. And it is one that usually takes a trial or two before finding out enough about yourself to understand what you really need. I started using CRM systems over 10 years ago and had to go through 3 before I figured out how to choose the 4th one and make it work.

There is a whole series on how to buy a CRM that starts here: How to buy a CRM. An introduction to CRM for dealers.

To aid in this discussion can you provide a few details?

• How many stores do you have?
  • Are these stores in a single market?
  • What DMS system do you use?
  • About how many customers do you have in your database(s)?
I wish you luck on the hunt. CRM is the most powerful software a dealer can use.

Alex,

Thanks for the reply! We re a single store. We do have 3 sister stores, but are independent, except for sharing DMS. We Are using ADP as our DMS, and have looked at their CRM, but it seemed very labor intrensive, and costly, to get the same results from other vendors. We are in a small market outside of 2 Large markets. We currently have about 5,000 customers in our database. I have learned a ton in the last 7 month, and most of it is because of this forum. I have read all of the posts on here i could find, and am trying to absorb all of that to make the right decision. It seems that most of the CRMs have their people that love and hate them, and it is going to be a learning experience with whoever we go with. I really feel like we need to be able to build strong tremplates, and get the most info out of our DMS to retain, and inform our customers, and I guess I am trying to get a current feel of if there are any new CRMs that I am missing. I have seen ADP, Auto Accelerator, Eleads, VINSolutions, AVV, Autobase, Auto Jockey, and am seeing Dealer Socket today. Any thoughts, and ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Choosing a CRM is not a simple decision. And it is one that usually takes a trial or two before finding out enough about yourself to understand what you really need. I started using CRM systems over 10 years ago and had to go through 3 before I figured out how to choose the 4th one and make it work.

There is a whole series on how to buy a CRM that starts here: How to buy a CRM. An introduction to CRM for dealers.

I wish you luck on the hunt. CRM is the most powerful software a dealer can use.

I highly suggest reading the above article multiple times. Changing technologies at a dealership is comparable to cleaning the statue of liberty. CRM needs to be the lifeblood and backbone to your dealership. It's time to select a partner, not a vendor. Partner with someone who is consultative and helps you crawl, walk, run through how people, process, and technology integrate together. Partner with someone who makes you start thinking about that scary "F" word called the Future.

When you demo CRM put yourself in every role in the dealership. How will your salespeople input customers and manage their daily work plans? How will middle management lead, track, train, and motivate salespeople with the tool? How will upper management use reporting to hold their people and vendors accountable?

Good luck with your quest. Keep us updated.

Reactions: 2 people
What CRM would you guys recomend for a larger independent dealer with no service/parts department that mainly is looking for a better handle on their existing leads?

I friend of mine recomended AVV web control but I need more than one option for the client requesting this info.

Darren, I feel your pain!!

News from under the rock...
I was told by our Dealer Principal/Owner Monday we are going to change [get] a CRM and he wants to cut a check before next year. --yeah it's 12.22-- He ALSO wants to look at consolidating vendors.

We have service emails, snail mail, calls through CIMA but they can't get the sales side to work [read years of trying vs ASI]; we host inventory through VIN; market price tool by Firstlook/quickturn/maxAds; Dealer Track comes in somewhere around here; ILM with DDC (our OEM & only site host); Loyalty, marketing, calls ect. with Summit Resources (many vendors with 1 PoC); CRM Traffic Cop (via AutoSoft)

Therein lies our biggest road block, Auto Soft, integration and the lack thereof.

We had a full VIN webinar Tues. The DP asked if deal info can be entered into CRM and then be accessed by F&I (ASI) immediately. We were told yes....I was told no at DD....anyone know for sure?

We had a webinar by Dealersocket last night. Same question and we were told that they has spoke with ASI last week and were told NO ONE can currently do this.

I, after a different post here, had an eLead guy stop in to ask to show us their products. He'll be here in 90 min to do the next demo.

I'm going out on a limb to assume few Refreshers work at a dealer that uses ASI, but if anyone knows of a vendor meeting these requirements PLEASE have them click any links below! Opinions and input welcome as always!

(note: I've done as much research as possible in this short time, but with ASI it's like a dirty little secret and there is little info out there on the dirtiest of words...integration)

Thanks as always!

Darren, I have used DealerSocket and was very pleased with it. There is going to be a learning curve with any CRM but that one is pretty simple. I really like the report menu. There are several great choices out there.

ddavis,

Just got done with the dealer socket demo. Very nice reporting, and also liked how they handle their campaigns. processed over time, and not sent as one bulk mail/email, getting hopefully continued buisness versus highs and lows. Also, very informative website at sharp hooks. I cn't express enough how grateful I am to have the input of these forums. I know most of you went through all of this without a sounding board, and information pipeline like this, and it is amazing the information you all share, and advice you give to make our industey, and indivuals in it stronger, and better.

I highly suggest reading the above article multiple times. Changing technologies at a dealership is comparable to cleaning the statue of liberty. CRM needs to be the lifeblood and backbone to your dealership. It's time to select a partner, not a vendor. Partner with someone who is consultative and helps you crawl, walk, run through how people, process, and technology integrate together. Partner with someone who makes you start thinking about that scary "F" word called the Future.

When you demo CRM put yourself in every role in the dealership. How will your salespeople input customers and manage their daily work plans? How will middle management lead, track, train, and motivate salespeople with the tool? How will upper management use reporting to hold their people and vendors accountable?

Good luck with your quest. Keep us updated.

Zach,

As you said it I was reading that thread again! So much info in one thread. You got my mind turning though, because part of me knows we NEED a CRM, and not just any one will do. It is hard to show others that thought process though. On the surface they all look like they do similar things, and if you do not spend the time to research, I can see how I would be very dissapointed. The saving grace with most of the better CRMs that I have seen, is that they all seem to have reporting to show ROI, and I think that will be a big ease on the minds of the powers that be. I just don't want to recomend a product, and 2 weeks later a better one comes along at a fraction of the cost. I know we can't avoid that, but I guess that is why this will be a slow process for us. It is nice to not have a CRM right now in that aspect.

Thanks

ddavis,

Just got done with the dealer socket demo. Very nice reporting, and also liked how they handle their campaigns. processed over time, and not sent as one bulk mail/email, getting hopefully continued buisness versus highs and lows. Also, very informative website at sharp hooks. I cn't express enough how grateful I am to have the input of these forums. I know most of you went through all of this without a sounding board, and information pipeline like this, and it is amazing the information you all share, and advice you give to make our industey, and indivuals in it stronger, and better.

I appreciate that. I usually change my website at night. I might not always be coherent. I depends if I decided on a second glass.