• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

No Show Appointments

jeffwhite

Full Sticker + Prep
Dec 8, 2016
Awards
First Name
Jeff
I am curious as to what some of the Internet or BDC Managers are doing for their no show appointments. How are you handling them? How effective are reschedule calls or emails attempts? What percentage are you able to get back into the store? What seems to be working the best to grab those opportunities?

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
If there's one thing I am constantly reminded of in the BDC, it's that the approach should be different for different customers.
Phone calls are not only ineffective for many customers, but for many it straight up annoys them.

If you can see prior communications, use those same methods (ie: SMS). If the answer is "no", you might as well hear it rather than leaving them in unknown status because they don't answer your calls.

Also, look at your follow-up email templates - do they look like generic follow-ups that contain no personalized messaging? If so, you're doing it wrong.

Reactions: jeffwhite
I am curious as to what some of the Internet or BDC Managers are doing for their no show appointments. How are you handling them? How effective are reschedule calls or emails attempts? What percentage are you able to get back into the store? What seems to be working the best to grab those opportunities?
Hope this gets some more feedback. Working on this exact problem for our own locations. Be interesting to hear others experiences.
Though its obvious but... what are you doing to ensure they actually show? Preventing the missed appt is the most effective. Approaching this currently.

I'm willing to bet most simply 'forget'. I equate it like going to the dentist. Its going to hurt, you're going to hate it, you don't want to be there, its going to cost you.

Most are happy to forget it if at all possible.

Hope this gets some more feedback. Working on this exact problem for our own locations. Be interesting to hear others experiences.
Though its obvious but... what are you doing to ensure they actually show? Preventing the missed appt is the most effective. Approaching this currently.

I'm willing to bet most simply 'forget'. I equate it like going to the dentist. Its going to hurt, you're going to hate it, you don't want to be there, its going to cost you.

Most are happy to forget it if at all possible.

The dentist example is great.

I agree that improving show rate should have more of focus leading up to the appt than chasing for a reschedule afterwards.

Introducing SMS is a strong channel for appt reminders, confirmations, etc.

We already know the read and reply rate is higher than email/phone. Let's consider the comfort and convenience.

If you want me to confirm (remind) me of my appointment, a simple text response of "yes" from me is easy...assuming I plan on showing.

IF I'M GOING TO BAIL, a text thread is an easy way for me to do so without an awkward interaction.

My dentist wouldn't like me nearly as much if we didn't have a solid SMS thread powered by Weave for appt reminders/confirmations

Another note...I live and die by my Google calendar. If an event isn't in there, it doesn't exist. Including "add to calendar" when an appointment is made would help a guy like me make that visit a priority in a busy day.

Why didn't the customer NOT show?

As a buyer, I will forget, OR decide that the sales person was too pushy or didn't care and said yes just to leave.

So, Send me appointment reminder in case I'm on the fence if you are too pushy or not. A call, is irritating a lot of the times.

I recently learned that offering clients the option to reschedule their appointments through a text link can be effective. This self-service approach could reduce no-shows, as it allows clients to easily reset appointments without needing to talk to someone. I'm curious, what tools are available that facilitate this process? Do any of them integrate with CRMs?

I use a great video from Beaver Toyota in training that I got from a Drivecentric presentation. The BDC manager talking over video of the BDC rep being consoled (for the missed appointment) to the tune of someone singing All By Myself.

Using video for confirmations will dramatically help improve your show rate. Here's me with the keys and the car's pulled up. If something comes up, either call or text me please. To Jon's point, shame them into showing up or at least calling you if they can't make it, instead of just ghosting you.

We probably need a better process for this, but it sure seems like the success rate is extremely slow no matter what we do.

If there's one thing I am constantly reminded of in the BDC, it's that the approach should be different for different customers.
Phone calls are not only ineffective for many customers, but for many it straight up annoys them.
Wife: "Does pizza sound good?"
Me: "Heck yeah!"
Wife: "Ok, call them."
Me: "I don't want pizza."