• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

OEM Search Engine Marketing Crackdown?!?

Are the SEO and PPC policies the same for AOI rules? I see nothing wrong with optimizing a site based on popular search terms.

They are similar in premise. PPC rules apply to the geo-targeting set within the search engines (which dealers have control over). SEO rules relate to having geo-specific terms inside Page Titles, META keywords & descriptions that are outside your AOI. The problem is that the "popular terms" just happen to include geo-specific terms.

What's amusing is that unless the OEM performed a Google Adwords account audit, there would be little-to-no proof that a dealer has gone beyond their limited AOI. Google makes mistakes all the time in regards to displaying results outside of a set radius. And for SEO (as it relates to Jeff's post), OEM's aren't savvy enough to perform an SEO audit. There are tactics you can employ that go around the specific requirements. HINT: Google doesn't read META Keywords anyway :hello:

Jeff I basically agree with everything you are saying. I'm all for dealers being pro-active in all mediums, trying to get their word out on the street, etc.

As to compliance agencies and rulings that change from time to time, I feel your pain on that, but not much I can say beyond that.

My basic point was that, from an OEM level, the last thing we want to do is act as the AOI police with one dealer actively going into another dealer's area, it is easily the worst part of the job. But the AOI rules are in there for a reason, can't have dealers actively going into another dealer's area, part of the whole rules. Now if a customer actively chooses to engage a dealer in a different AOI, which is their right and they really should care less about AOI rules, that is of course fine. It's when you have dealers actively going outside, that's the issue.

To your point that most dealers are clueless to SEO, not sure if I totally agree, regardless, just cause you have dealers who do get it, doesn't mean they can run rough shod over those who dont' by actively going out, either physically via billboards, or digitally, via search, into another dealer's area. As an OEM, whether they like or not, they have to view the dealer body as a whole and provide as they can equal footing to all.

To me, the simplest solution is for the dealer's who "get it", do it all, but follow the AOI rules and you'll be fine. Consumers aren't dumb, if a dealer is out there, they will find them.

Steve,

If I am hearing your correctly, you are basically saying that Dealers deserve to be protected regardless of whether or not they are up to date on the latest technology? I'm a dealer and get the risk and investment involved in owning a car dealership; however, protecting the weak at the expense of the strong is bad for the OEM.

Let me explain. The reason a Dealer struggles is simply due to her/his inability to have the processes and people in place to effectively market the product. By limiting the Dealer that "gets it" under the guise of fairness to the Dealer that doesn't strikes me as counter-intuitive. The guys and gals that don't sell any cars aren't going to sell any more if you limit the guys and gals that take full advantage of the Internet. In fact, the OEM will sell less cars.

Jeff is correct that MOST Dealers haven't figured out the opportunity yet. MOST don't have the people or mindset to take advantage. The Dealers that do are selling way more cars than the average Dealer. Why would you limit the people that perform?

The OEM's need to wake up and stop listening to the whining and bitching from their under performing Dealers. Do the OEM's want to sell more cars and take market share, or do they want to become a welfare operation that rewards the weak at the expense of the strong.

Capitalism is what made this Country great.

Just sayin'

Reactions: 2 people
I can submit my website to compliance and have it disapproved. Make ZERO changes, resubmit and get an approval. This happens with just about every manufacturer including Mercedes, Honda, Toyota, Ford etc. The compliance departments are filled with mostly young interns that are not properly trained. One will try and knock me for SEO and the next hasn't a clue.

Jeff, I had to laugh when I read this. Dealing with 17 different brands, this is a weekly issue with me...

The reason a Dealer struggles is simply due to her/his inability to have the processes and people in place to effectively market the product. By limiting the Dealer that "gets it" under the guise of fairness to the Dealer that doesn't strikes me as counter-intuitive. The guys and gals that don't sell any cars aren't going to sell any more if you limit the guys and gals that take full advantage of the Internet. In fact, the OEM will sell less cars.

Bravo!