#RefreshFriday One-Person Selling | Chip Perry

Jeff Kershner

Founder
Staff member
May 1, 2005
Awards
First Name
Jeff

One of automotive's classiest executives joins us to talk about what happens when you switch to a one-person selling model. That means one sales representative shows off the car, negotiates the whole deal, contracts the customer, and delivers the vehicle.

Chip Perry is the CEO of A2Z Sync. He brings his background from classified marketplaces like Autotrader and TrueCar together with the progressive minds at Schomp Automotive to tackle sales processes for modern retailing.

Jeff is excited to reconnect with Chip - it has been too long for him!
Alex got to spend some time with him last month and became a fan of the direction A2Z Sync is pushing dealers to go.

Join us LIVE on Facebook, LinkedIn, or YouTube Friday at 1PM
https://www.facebook.com/dealerrefresh
https://www.linkedin.com/company/dealerrefresh
https://www.youtube.com/dealerrefresh

Enjoy the SHOW!!

Attachments

• RF-2022-May-13-Chip-Perry.jpg
    RF-2022-May-13-Chip-Perry.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 12
Reactions: Dan Sayer and Cuzzo
I really like this business model, and believe it is something that I can implement in my dealership. What I don't know or understand is the flow of the actual deal.

I understand that the "sales person" works the lead, greets and does sales person stuff, gathers the credit app, works the deal, etc. My question, who gets the approval from the lender? Is that a desk function, or is there a finance manager-ish person that does that?

Reactions: Jeff Kershner
I really like this business model, and believe it is something that I can implement in my dealership. What I don't know or understand is the flow of the actual deal.

I understand that the "sales person" works the lead, greets and does sales person stuff, gathers the credit app, works the deal, etc. My question, who gets the approval from the lender? Is that a desk function, or is there a finance manager-ish person that does that?
Hello Sir - I wanted to answer your question regarding the lender approval process. This is typically part of the desking function allowing the manager/team lead/loan processor to submit credit to lenders, get approvals all while in the same Loan Details desktop window. Once approval has been completed, it is a very simple and easy to then edit menu and have the menu huddle with the sales person. We would be happy to provide you with a product review to show the complete process. Please let me know! Thank you!

Hello Sir - I wanted to answer your question regarding the lender approval process. This is typically part of the desking function allowing the manager/team lead/loan processor to submit credit to lenders, get approvals all while in the same Loan Details desktop window. Once approval has been completed, it is a very simple and easy to then edit menu and have the menu huddle with the sales person. We would be happy to provide you with a product review to show the complete process. Please let me know! Thank you!

Scott, thanks for jumping in to answer questions. Much appreciated.

Ironic, we just started the process of piloting a program to do this. How this started is that myself and my BDC lead have taken over internet leads for one reason or another (trying to hit a goal, trying something new, etc.) a few times. I noticed that during those times, our conversions drastically went up on internet leads and specifically mine far more than my BDC lead. I made no mention of myself being a manager and I have never claimed to be an all-world salesperson. So why did the conversions go up so much? Because in 30 minutes online at any time during the day I was able to sell the car, do the trade appraisal, give payment options, and ask for the sale. When you get it, it also reduces the likelihood the customer will keep shopping.

We all know that the customer wants to work with as few people as possible. With all of the tools at our desposal now (vAuto, great desking tools, etc.) I believe these things can now be handled by your best people. What else does the customer want? Speed. What better way to do that than streamline the entire process through one person?

And that's just part of the reason we're trying it. There are other advantages in my eyes too. Another example is in that one struggle dealerships have had is that unless a manager dies or a finance guy gets sniped you might as well plan on 10 years before you have an advancement opportunity. This in a world where people want to be promoted on their third day. I believe it will also incentivizes the rep to do/train better so that they can get this advancement opportunity.

Some of this may have already been discussed (haven't watched the session yet), but that's my two cents.

Ironic, we just started the process of piloting a program to do this. How this started is that myself and my BDC lead have taken over internet leads for one reason or another (trying to hit a goal, trying something new, etc.) a few times. I noticed that during those times, our conversions drastically went up on internet leads and specifically mine far more than my BDC lead. I made no mention of myself being a manager and I have never claimed to be an all-world salesperson. So why did the conversions go up so much? Because in 30 minutes online at any time during the day I was able to sell the car, do the trade appraisal, give payment options, and ask for the sale. When you get it, it also reduces the likelihood the customer will keep shopping.

We all know that the customer wants to work with as few people as possible. With all of the tools at our desposal now (vAuto, great desking tools, etc.) I believe these things can now be handled by your best people. What else does the customer want? Speed. What better way to do that than streamline the entire process through one person?

And that's just part of the reason we're trying it. There are other advantages in my eyes too. Another example is in that one struggle dealerships have had is that unless a manager dies or a finance guy gets sniped you might as well plan on 10 years before you have an advancement opportunity. This in a world where people want to be promoted on their third day. I believe it will also incentivizes the rep to do/train better so that they can get this advancement opportunity.

Some of this may have already been discussed (haven't watched the session yet), but that's my two cents.
Bill - congrats on piloting a new one person process, getting started is the first step in this new way of doing business. With one person, it certainly allows you to communicate better with the customer in a timely manner and it allows you to establish a relationship and trust with the customer right from the start.

Imagine creating a seamless experience from online to in-store. With a one person, one screen process it could allow all team members to participate from all levels of experience. Thus transforming all team members into building a better customer experience in a timely manner with better communication and trust built through the whole transaction. Ultimately gaining 2.5x more customers that will love your dealership.