• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Owners Buying Same Model

Oct 28, 2012
Awards
First Name
Chris K
I am wondering if anyone out there has any data showing if an owner of a model is more or less likely to buy the same newer model. Or do they look at something totally different?

Do they go from a Cruze to an Impala for example.

Or do they go from a Cruze to a newer Cruze?

I am able to pull some of this data out of our DMS and CRM but I am curios to see what you guys have too.

Appreciated.

I wish I could find one of them - JD Power has done a few studies on this and similar topics.
Typically it's by manufacturer, rather than model, but they also do break it down occasionally (ie: Hyundai won best retention because of model retention on the Sonata and Elantra).

If there's a dedicated study that talks about model retention I'd love to see it.
I may run some reports on the inventory I have access to, but the sample size certainly wouldn't be big enough to answer many questions.

I am looking at creating some owner campaigns. But, I want to see if the data says that I should either be marketing the same model to them or should I be marketing the next model up. Like moving from a cruze to a malibu.

I'm thinking there has to be a trend line one way or the other.

Interesting question. Based on the data I pulled from our DMS, our Honda and Subaru customers were more likely to buy the same model again. On the other hand, our KIA, Chevy, and Ford customers were more likely to purchase different models within their respective brand.

Interesting question. Based on the data I pulled from our DMS, our Honda and Subaru customers were more likely to buy the same model again. On the other hand, our KIA, Chevy, and Ford customers were more likely to purchase different models within their respective brand.

This is what I found when looking at my data as well calling back customers with our antique method of equity mining. It seems that the domestic customers typically want to step up or look at something else while our import buyers just upgrade what they already have.

Reactions: Sunny