• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

Hey Joe, nice touch, after re-reading this thread, may I assume that you kinda of liked getting challenged to even consider QR? Clicked the QR on your sticker to go to your mobile site, looks like it rocks! I know I haven't said it in a, way long time; As always, I dig what you got to say, and show. I tip my :tiphat: to you sir! Me >:kbutt:

Viewed your example of the QR code on the window sticker for Acura of Seattle, clicked the QR code w/ my droid, sent me to KIA of Puyallup mobile site? WT* Very Interesting

Mikel,

If you look at the label it doesnt have any info on the top space (make/year/model/etc). That is not a real one that we used at the dealer but the one we designed and the guys just added a QR that they had saved in their PC to measure the spacing. The labels are shipped blanck and the QRs printed on the field as they take photos of the cars.

QR codes seem to be all the rage in the direct response world. While I think they are interesting, I am not sure the general public has enough awareness of these to know what to do with them…and most businesses haven’t really figured out the best way to incorporate them into their marketing. Most of what I see is inclusion of a QR code in a newspaper ad or postcard, that simply is a link to the business website. From a user standpoint I am skeptical they will be impressed, once they realize the pulled out their phone, opened the scanner app, and shot the QR code all to accomplish the equivalent of typing in your URL. The more often this happens the more disappointed people will be until they stop scanning them altogether. QR codes have more potential. First, use them where users are more likely to be away from a computer but have their smartphone…how about in your business or around town? You can offer instant coupons or run games or contests. Where are we using them now? To promote QR code awareness – and to save people time, I have my contact information in a QR code on the back of my business card. So anyone that gets my card can shoot the code and it will ask if you want to call me, email me, or save this information to your contacts – so no more entering all this information by hand. I think of all the business cards I gather at networking events and wish they all had a QR code on the back so I could shoot every one and instantly they will be on my phone and computer.

QR codes are a fade, they don't offer much. Millions of ways to use them, but it's nothing breathtaking that's going to redefine the way dealers do business.

I agree that QR codes will not break or make a dealership the same way text message, mobile sites, or chat will not either but a lot of people in this forum will agree that the list I just wrote comes in pretty helpful for the right dealer and the right deployment.

QRs are a cheap easy way to offer another way to communicate.

I often tell the dealers that if more people will follow Mike Tyson and start growing pigeons, I would consider a pigeon message service to talk to them about buying a car from me.

My thoughts on the piece:

1) I'm resisting the urge to do a Gruber-esque "But Android is open, so it has to be better!" bit here, but I'm going to hold off because nobody likes a holy war.
2) As many platforms as there are out there (iOS, Android, Blackberry, the five poor saps that bought webOS phones...), I can't imagine there's One Malware To Rule Them All.
3) Every QR scanner I've seen has a prompt between the scan and actually opening the page. Just like everything else on the internet, people have to be aware.

In the words of the philosopher Barnum, there's a sucker born every minute.

My thoughts on the piece:

1) I'm resisting the urge to do a Gruber-esque "But Android is open, so it has to be better!" bit here, but I'm going to hold off because nobody likes a holy war.
2) As many platforms as there are out there (iOS, Android, Blackberry, the five poor saps that bought webOS phones...), I can't imagine there's One Malware To Rule Them All.
3) Every QR scanner I've seen has a prompt between the scan and actually opening the page. Just like everything else on the internet, people have to be aware.

In the words of the philosopher Barnum, there's a sucker born every minute.

Your thoughts were much more altruistic than mine.

"If there are so many great ways to STEAL money, why am I working so hard to EARN it?" ;)

Kidding of course, but that's genius. Load some malware to text a pay service in the background so you get paid by the carrier and leave the victim with a bill 30 days later. A (criminal) mind is a terrible thing to waste.

Reviving the QR Code thread;

We added QR Codes back to the unique vehcle to our inventory feeds thinking that since most customers don't have printers at home and that-printing-is so 90s, providing the ability to record a vehicle in their cell phone was a really good idea.

Just to clarify things out, we do this for free for our clients. We also have a pay program where the QR takes you to a mobile optimized page, it has coupons, allows you to send customer data to the crm, etc.

Today we got an email from Cars.com sent to our dealers threatening to shut their feeds down if they didn't take the QRs and at the same time accusing us of advertising in the dealer's space.

cars.jpg

CLICK HERE TO SEE IT: http://www.pgiauto.com/images/stories/news/cars.jpg

My response as follows:

yago.jpg

CLICK HERE TO SEE IT: http://www.pgiauto.com/images/stories/news/yago.jpg

This is the image in question that we add to the dealer's feed:

05141936_010[1].jpg

Maybe QR Codes work better than we thought... or so Cars.com thinks!