• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

Thanks for the input everyone. It seems I could have worded my question better for what I was trying find out. We already print our window labels with QR codes through our VinSolutions CRM. But I want to print them for other purposes, such as links to the CarFax, vehicle videos etc. So Yagode, you response is correct, I am really looking for another method of printing individual qr codes without the hassle of switching out paper for lables and so on in our showroom printer. I have read that some dealers are using specific label printers dedicated to printing qr codes, such as ones offered by Brother and Dymo, and was looking for advice on which one to buy before I spent a couple of hundred bucks for a machine. Thanks!

The Bhrother printer is interesting Got a thermal label printer that can output QR codes however I havent tested any.

My only word of advide from someone printing 20,000 labels per month for the last 10 years... get several samples and out them on cars then wait a week (specially on winter). Make sure the ink doesn't melt when it gets wet, that the glue in the paper doesn't get goey when it gets hot, etc.

Let's see let's see, how else to do this?

We use a company that I think is called BPI that sales blank window labels for new car mark up (ADM). The size of these may be better suited for what you are trying to do without adding too much papers to the windows of the cars.

Another way would be to ask VINSOL not to include the options of the cars in the label print out so you have more space in the main label to add other things. In this label for example http://www.pgiauto.com/dan-rudd/948-qr-label we took the options and added some "why buy from us". In your case you can have that space empty, run the same label again in the same printer and have more QR Codes added to it. Any designer should be able to get you a good looking one going.

BTY- The reason why we start not printing options anyway is because the real state in the label has more value that the options the client is already looking at! The options in the label seem to be worth only to get you in trouble when you make a mistake.

Last edited:
QR codes are a great bridge between the physical and digital realms but they never hit critical mass and the chances of it catching on fade daily. The NFC chips make sense because they are far easier to use and don't carry the burden of installing a special app. It's pretty clear these are just a modified form of RFID chips which are used in many industries especially for inventory management. So if you haven't invested in this it doesn't make sense to get in now.

But if you did here is a little tip: if you generate your own QR codes and send them to a URL take the extra step and have the code point to a URL that will forward to the final destination. For example QR Code > Your Redirect URL > The Final URL. If you do that you can change the final destination without having to print new QR codes.

Glenn,

That works for ad campaigns but not for car specific QRs.

On a quick note for Bill since you mention about Carfax QR. Have you tried to get your mobile website to display a mobile Carfax version so when you create a QR to display the vehicle you can also tell the client that the Carfax is provided?

QR codes are a step to something next, but they are far from fading. Adoption has been slow, but I'm seeing more and more in my everyday travels. More consumer impressions means more engagement.

There is the current barrier of an app, but the upside is QR codes are inexpensive to produce and use. As long as marketers and publishers push to consumers, smartphones makers might just respond with preloaded integration in their photo apps.

...I have introduced a QR code soltuion to a few dealers in Seattle that have enabled them to proatively leverage all their Social Media presence...View attachment 446

Renee,

Your solution is to take a failed consumer data input tool and merge it into a Dealer Confusion tool (aka Social Media)

Like your idea, but you're TOTALLY in the wrong space. Try a B2B space that "gets it". Look into Surveyor Tool Sales or Logistics Management or....

Apple said:
Take your QR codes and shove 'em

TUAW (The Unofficial Apple Weblog) said:
Simply pointing your phone's camera at a properly equipped museum exhibit, for example, could load a webpage about the artifact on display or offer additional details about its origins. An auction house or fashion show could easily provide pricing, availability or 'click to bid' buttons. The technology would work like a giant, invisible QR code --

...from: Apple's infrared 'camera kill switch' patent application hits a nerve

Joe -

Thanks for the swift kick. But before I go, I will defend my feedback in support of the original invitation: "If you have any thoughts about QR codes and their importance, please share them with me".

Alex Snyder stated 95% of the time QR code scans haven't delivered anything that got him excited. The content did not create engagment.

David makes a great point that QR code is designed to move the consumer forward - take the next step.

The solution I discussed is not MY solution - it is one solution for dealers who are prepared to utilize this technology and have a plan to proactively inform, engage and direct their customers to extremely relevant content. Your People - Your Product - Your Dealership.

Simply put - this is what your email signature and business card should be!

BTW - I don't sell SparqME, I'm a SparqME user...

Last edited:
They are definitely inexpensive to produce and implement which is strongly in their favor. It just seems like an intermediary step. NFC is closer to what people will use. For a QR code I have to load up my app, make sure the camera can see it clearly, and then once it's properly identified, the webpage, carfax, etc... will load. None of which is hard and takes about 10 seconds. If you could hold your phone up to a sign with the NFC chip and get the same info in half the time with fewer steps it seems like a better solution. Granted cost of implementation will be higher. Even RFID chips haven't hit the $ 0.01 per unit price point.

If it's already in place keep it but with better solutions on the horizon I'd be hesitant to invest heavily in this area.

With that said, this chart will help show where QR code interest is trending in the US: Google Trends: QR code . Here is the chart for the entire world: Google Trends: QR code Worldwide

People in Thailand, Taiwan, and the Netherlands can use their phones for commerce as well. You can buy a Coke from a vending machine with your mobile phone. So it make sense that they would be at the forefront to adopt and regularly use QR technology.

QR codes are a step to something next, but they are far from fading. Adoption has been slow, but I'm seeing more and more in my everyday travels. More consumer impressions means more engagement.

There is the current barrier of an app, but the upside is QR codes are inexpensive to produce and use. As long as marketers and publishers push to consumers, smartphones makers might just respond with preloaded integration in their photo apps.

They are definitely inexpensive to produce and implement which is strongly in their favor. It just seems like an intermediary step. NFC is closer to what people will use. For a QR code I have to load up my app, make sure the camera can see it clearly, and then once it's properly identified, the webpage, carfax, etc... will load. None of which is hard and takes about 10 seconds. If you could hold your phone up to a sign with the NFC chip and get the same info in half the time with fewer steps it seems like a better solution. Granted cost of implementation will be higher. Even RFID chips haven't hit the $ 0.01 per unit price point.

If it's already in place keep it but with better solutions on the horizon I'd be hesitant to invest heavily in this area.
Point for consideration: If NFC does all that everyone is looking to do, no phone is going to be in a promiscuous mode always looking for tags and transponders--there's going to be some measure of activation on the user's part. (Otherwise, I might as well tape money to my back and just allow folks to yank it off without me seeing them.) The only step I see gained here would be getting the QR code lined up properly for the camera to read it; everything else comes down to the implementation of the phone. Clearly, a phone that had a hardware button for NFC reading could do it faster than a phone that had to load an app for it...but then, iOS 5 is about to add in a use-the-camera-while-locked mode. What if Apple adds in QR reading to their camera app? Advantage removed.