• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

QR Codes - In or Out?

If I may, IMHO, I don't believe that QR codes are dead. I just dont believe that they're the BEST solution for car dealers. I say that because, as in all sales, success begins with leads. If the product that you're using doesn't produce a lead, it's pointless.

So, the proper way for a dealer to use mobile to his greatest advantage is to implement a systems that automatically collects data (mobile) and use that to follow up with the prospect. Be it a phone call, a mobile flyer, or short SMS message twice a month, mobile marketing is now what email marketing tried to be at its inception. The difference is, mobile is personal. Nobody, intentionally, leaves home without their cell phone, 95% of mobile messages are read within 4 minutes, and only 2% of mobile messages go to "spam".

I've be doing mobile marketing for a little over 5 years, and I teach my clients to monetize the traffic they already have. The visitor who shows up when they're not there. That's the lead you want, because they are interested in what you have.

I hope that helps.

If I may, IMHO, I don't believe that QR codes are dead. I just dont believe that they're the BEST solution for car dealers. I say that because, as in all sales, success begins with leads. If the product that you're using doesn't produce a lead, it's pointless.

So, the proper way for a dealer to use mobile to his greatest advantage is to implement a systems that automatically collects data (mobile) and use that to follow up with the prospect. Be it a phone call, a mobile flyer, or short SMS message twice a month, mobile marketing is now what email marketing tried to be at its inception. The difference is, mobile is personal. Nobody, intentionally, leaves home without their cell phone, 95% of mobile messages are read within 4 minutes, and only 2% of mobile messages go to "spam".

I've be doing mobile marketing for a little over 5 years, and I teach my clients to monetize the traffic they already have. The visitor who shows up when they're not there. That's the lead you want, because they are interested in what you have.

I hope that helps.

I have to disagree with that,

A lead is not everything in this business because many times what we do in advertising provides the seed for something to become a lead. Measuring just end result doesn't provide the real story.

QR Codes are not good to generate leads, based on the scans that we get we know they are most useful for people transfer information about dealer location to their mobile devices (directions). So what may not seem like a traditional lead (email, phone call, etc) it may end up being a walk in to the lot.

...as in all sales, success begins with leads. If the product that you're using doesn't produce a lead, it's pointless.

I've be doing mobile marketing for a little over 5 years, and I teach my clients to monetize the traffic they already have. The visitor who shows up when they're not there. That's the lead you want, because they are interested in what you have...

I have to disagree with that,

A lead is not everything in this business because many times what we do in advertising provides the seed for something to become a lead. Measuring just end result doesn't provide the real story.

QR Codes are not good to generate leads, based on the scans that we get we know they are most useful for people transfer information about dealer location to their mobile devices (directions). So what may not seem like a traditional lead (email, phone call, etc) it may end up being a walk in to the lot.
Two instances ALWAYS cause me to want to second guess myself; DISAGREEING with Uncle Joe and AGREEING with Yago.

In this case, Yago is spot on! A sale doesn't have to start with a lead, but it does have to start with a prospect. Many (indeed most) of your customers will never submit a lead or even phone the dealership before walking in. In many respects, when a customer comes out of stealth mode, raises their hand, and submits a lead, they are very near the end of the shopping process. This is the point where your marketing efforts are about at an end and your sales efforts take over.

While it may true that only 2% of text messages go to spam and 95% are read within 4 minutes, that doesn't necessarily make them welcome. Enough unwelcome texts and you will come off my consideration set very quickly.

My advice; if you want to practice 'Permission Marketing', make damn sure you actually have permission first.

Yago: I know sarcasm can be lost in translation, but to be clear; JOKES

Two instances ALWAYS cause me to want to second guess myself; DISAGREEING with Uncle Joe and AGREEING with Yago.

In this case, Yago is spot on! A sale doesn't have to start with a lead, but it does have to start with a prospect. Many (indeed most) of your customers will never submit a lead or even phone the dealership before walking in. In many respects, when a customer comes out of stealth mode, raises their hand, and submits a lead, they are very near the end of the shopping process. This is the point where your marketing efforts are about at an end and your sales efforts take over.

While it may true that only 2% of text messages go to spam and 95% are read within 4 minutes, that doesn't necessarily make them welcome. Enough unwelcome texts and you will come off my consideration set very quickly.

My advice; if you want to practice 'Permission Marketing', make damn sure you actually have permission first.

Yago: I know sarcasm can be lost in translation, but to be clear; JOKES

Thank you for agreeing with me... ONCE! I know I'm now in the right track.

Permission is granted linked to a feeling of intrusion if it is not clearly granted. QR codes suffered from that. Clients used the QRC and suddenly got a phone call. We told dealers to tune it down and call QRC customers maybe a day later or even better to text customers "hey, I got your QR code message. Is there something I can do for you?". Maybe my line is not great, someone like Jerry Tibeau can come up with a better one but you get my point.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm not talking about blasting them 3 time per week with useless texts. I'm saying this is subscription based. They can opt out after they receive vehicle info or a year down the road. But a dealer should never send more than 2 texts per month.

But you're missing the point, I'm not bashing conventional advertising. I'm saying that when conventional advertising brings them to the lot, you want to maximize that opportunity.

QR codes are great for sending info, but not everyone has the scanner. But, 86% of Americans have the ability to send (and receive) SMS msgs via a mobile phone. So again, all I'm talking about is putting the numbers in your favor.

Let's also not be coy. Dealers buy leads regularly. Usually, they are sharing them with their competitors. My reference is to contacts that have made physical contact with a dealer.

I would say this is one of the best ideas for QR I've seen suggested. Instant engagement and gratification for the user. It's Sunday and no one is on the lot but I have a question about this car...

Have a question? Scan this QR code to initiate a live chat with a dealership representative.

Most of the ways we currently use QR's codes is what keeps it from going mainstream.

Zach - you get this up and running at your dealership and DealerRefresh would love to host an article around you and your implementation with QR to Live Chat.

Now for the Cons:
We know so little people engage with QR so your actual live chats will be small numbers (is it worth it?)
Lack of consistency could cause interruption in the service on weekends.
Lets say you DO engage someone on a Sunday and they are ready to Chat BUT no one at the dealership is (they are home eating dinner with the family) - does this do more harm than good or indifferent?
Reminder - placement of the QR and call to action will be vitally important for any percentage of engagement

Either way I love the concept!

While I didn't specifically end up doing the Live Chat implementation - I will say that about 2 months ago, I personally stuck 250 QR Code stickers on the driver's side window right above the door handle on 250 new cars (in 100+ degree weather) and last I checked a few weeks ago, they had been used about (5) times in total. Now, granted they weren't particularly catchy and graphical but just to throw some random feedback into this thread - I did not have much success with basic QR codes but I am still very excited about the Live Chat and Jeff you can bet I will be talking one of my dealers into letting me try it sometime in the next month and I'd be glad to do a piece about it.

-Zach

QR haters you were wrong all along...

QR Code Dollars

ahh... another classic example of "get rich quick and easy" marketing.

For reasons unknown to modern science, all of these players always use the VERY VERY VERY LONG AND UGLY PAGE to work over the morons that fall for this crap.

Its the same layout every time:

1. Start with visualizing wealth
2. Demonstrate the simple business logic of the concept
3. Identify the "lost opportunity" that few see that fits the business logic above (except the seller)
4. Establish the ease to execute the business plan
5. Remind the reader how wonderful wealth is when you execute the sellers plan
6. Introduce the "business package" that the seller offers
7. Reinforce & remind the moron reading this that this has business logic and it's so easy to do!
8. Create lead form, add sense of urgency (offer ends... goes to 1st 13 that sign up... etc)
9. Morons that read this love get rich quick, tell the moron that your plan is different than the others
10. Lather, Rinse, Repeat on down the page

Cha-ching. Fish on.