• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Really debating running my own managed dealer website. Who's running their own dealer website or con

One of the greatest errors in DIY dealer website is under-estimating the task.

If I hand you a guitar and ask you to play me a song in 3 months, can you see the difficult road ahead?

Yes.

Now, if I hand you a guitar and ask you to play me a song in 3 months AND MAKE MONEY WITH IT...

Can you see how much harder the task becomes?

Making a web site can be easy. OUT PERFORMING the site your replacing ain't easy.

Think about it.

Reactions: 6 people
Joe is about as correct on this as anybody can be. 3rd party website developers put millions into the technology that power the sites. It's not all about, "I want the control to do this or that." It should be about "what is going to be the best for my customers?"

Customers come to your site to see your inventory, not the fact that you can now change the staff picture from the left to the right side of the screen. ;)

Reactions: 1 person
haha oh yeah joe? seo is dead? that's a load of crap. just sayin'.

is that why all the link building i've been doing is getting us better rankings? so if you think seo is dead, then why do you have this paragraph on your homepage?

Used Car King is a Syracuse used car dealership with three locations in the Syracuse area. Come visit us at any of our dealerships located in Central New York. We serve Cicero, Cortland, Chittenango, Syracuse and the entire Central NY area. We are famous for offering low prices on affordable used cars and trucks in Syracuse.

and why do you have these links in your footer?

please.... seo is not dead. panda weeded out content farms but smart whitehat seo principles will always apply.

Sweece,

I misspoke. Organic SEO is not dead... It's dying.

Organic SEOs big claim to fame was to pay a one time construction cost, and some occasional content, sit back and watch your site rank well.

Over the last 2 years, google has pushed organic lower and lower. Soon, it'll all be below the fold.

Evidence is everywhere. Go to google and search: HD Monitor

Get your PPC game revved up... It won't be long. The end is near.

SEO as it was and is today still has some shelf life but it has changed quite a bit in the last several months. More less evolved.

The longtail strategy is still there but diect searches for a place or product, as Joe points out seems to be dying. The SEO guru has to evolve his game and become more "social".

Sweece,

I misspoke. Organic SEO is not dead... It's dying.

Evidence is everywhere. Go to google and search: HD Monitor

Get your PPC game revved up... It won't be long. The end is near.

Eh I disagree. I approach it from a different perspective. But please, if you think that organic SEO is dead, then by all means don't worry about it so I can take all the real estate in that area :)

Let's use the example of HD Monitor that you mentioned. We have your standard PPC ads on the top and right -- no changes there. We also have the shopping results and related search above the organic listings. While they take up space and push the organic listings down, they're an essential element on the page (and great for users!). Let's say I do SEO for Amazon -- you better believe it's my responsibility to make sure Amazon is both in the shopping results and related searches AS WELL AS the PPC ads and organic listings. SEO is about page real estate and the better positioned I am in all aspects, the likelier I am to get a click through.

To generalize and say that SEO is all about organic SEO, whatever that truly means, is to completely miss the point of what SEO is about. Google is always trying to make things better for the user -- so if you're an SEO, you better adapt to those changes and make sure your business is positioned well in all sectors.

But looking forward, who's not to say that the related searches and shopping results won't become what you deem "organic" if they're naturally populated based upon effective optimization on the web?

Eh I disagree. I approach it from a different perspective...

To generalize and say that SEO is all about organic SEO, whatever that truly means, is to completely miss the point of what SEO is about. Google is always trying to make things better for the user -- so if you're an SEO, you better adapt to those changes and make sure your business is positioned well in all sectors.

But looking forward, who's not to say that the related searches and shopping results won't become what you deem "organic" if they're naturally populated based upon effective optimization on the web?

Woa, Brother Sweece, slow down, you're all over the map!

Correct: SEO = Search Engine Optimization.
Not so Correct: SEO = Top of Google Results (what ever it takes)

Your mixing the skills of a Digital Marketing Project manager and labeling it as SEO.

The SEO's skills and tools and experiences HAVE ZERO ROI on this page:

ads-ads-ads.gif

Look at that page (above) and think about what it used to look like 2 years ago. Organic SERPs are below the fold, see it here: hd monitor - Google Search

Organic is not dead, but Google has it by the throat and ain't letting it breath much.

Image credit: SEO Book

Sweece,

What do we have now???
  • PPC Completely Owns the Page
  • Related Searches go to the biggest (dealers and brands)
  • Shopping Results are completely outside of your website and will require a feed to make it work.
Where's the Organic SEO results?
Every industry is different, but everywhere I look, every month, Organic Results get lower and lower until they go BELOW THE FOLD. When you go below the fold, you'll experience a 90% reduction traffic (relative to top of page).

SEO as it was and is today still has some shelf life but it has changed quite a bit in the last several months. More less evolved.

The longtail strategy is still there but diect searches for a place or product, as Joe points out seems to be dying. The SEO guru has to evolve his game and become more "social".

JK nails it again: #2 in SEOmoz Search rankings:
graph-future-of-search.png