• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Referral process, what really works? Please Help

Edzo

Green Pea
Jul 10, 2011
First Name
Ed
I was asked by my owner to implement a process for referrals aka "bird dog" and have struggled with it thus far. It just seems to fade and never really stick. Does anyone have a dead on process that is truly effective and can slowly but surely get me pointed in the right direction? Right now we offer $100.00 for a Bird Dog and have about 3 or 4 sales people that really work it, the other 10 are indifferent. Really could use some advice here, thank you for the assistance.

Ed

Ed,

3 reps get it, 10 don't. Sound familiar everyone? It's the TYPICAL sales team performance profile of a typical dealer.

It's not the bird dog campaign, its the owner's sales team.

You can spin it 7 different ways, but, it's the reps job to run with the ball. Many many sales reps work till they "have enough", then they shift into coast mode. Lazy is as lazy does.

The sales manager needs to study his job description again.

Understood Joe but if I could ask in another more specific manner. We have what are really coupons that tell the customer they will be rewarded $100.00 for each referral. Each time its discussed between out management team when to present this coupon and what to say to accompany it no one can agree, after the sale or during our sales process etc. There never seems to be a good time with all of the processes we already have in place. Shockingly my owner wants measurable results, period. I researched what John Marazzi has in place and it appears they pay $250.00? Anyway I could not agree more that like anything else you get out what you put in but really looking where to begin? What is a professional way to ask for the referral and when?
Thank You!
ed

Ed,

Here's a way to do it.

Don't do it in one spot, Hit them everywhere.

Just like Marazzi, Create merchandising signs to let your shoppers know your looking for referrals (sales, service, parts, on the lot, everywhere)

If your planning on getting laser like and deliver it at the right time, then I'd say at delivery. If you want the best results, drop the sniper rifle and carpet bomb it!

"If your planning on getting laser like and deliver it at the right time, then I'd say at delivery. If you want the best results, drop the sniper rifle and carpet bomb it!"

At delivery their minds are so fried with everything else going on they are going to gloss right over the referral request. Like Joe said the best bet is to ask often and repeatedly. Ask at delivery, when you send out your congratulations or follow up email, ask again... when you send out your Happy Birthday email, ask again... when you send out your newsletter ask then... put something up in service and service minder emails... the biggest problem and the reason why referrals arent as big of a lead source as they really should be is because they never get asked.

Word of mouth is huge... people are wired to want to help other people. For example if someone came up to you and said... man I need to get my taxes done, your first instinct is likely "Hey I have a tax guy, give him a call". I need to get my hair cut... "Hey I have a barber, check him out" We all want to help. Your sales people just have to make sure their customers know that they have a "Car Guy" for when someone is looking.

-Lou

Thank you for the input, there is a lot of good ideas here. It looks like we have to take a much broader approach to it as opposed to one single process to get the kind of results we are really looking for. It is actually a very different way of looking at it then I was, very cool to be able to bounce ideas around in this format without fear of sounding weak or clueless in a management meeting. Good Stuff

drop the sniper rifle and carpet bomb it!

I love this line Joe. Here is the credit to you, in writing, for when I reuse this for the rest of my life.

Carpet Bomb the service department and inbox (just be careful with the inbox). I agree with Loun that a customer is not thinking about money at delivery; the money has been spent. They're just worn-out, ready for their sales agent to shut up, and in need of getting that new car to the closest restaurant.

Set up an automatic email to go out somewhere between the 1-3 month after purchase timeframe with the picture of a $100 coupon. Something to remind them of the birddog incentive. Then have a similar email fire on their purchase anniversary. You shouldn't bomb them with this message more than twice a year by email.

Then back this up with signage in the service department and waiting area.

Or, going back to the email part, you could just add the line "Earn $100 from us" linked to a landing page about to all employees' email signatures. Email signatures are the most overlooked and underutilized advertising medium we have. Just remember to only have 1 message in an email signature.

Email Signature said:
[SALES AGENT NAME]
Sales Agent
[DEALERSHIP NAME]
[SALES AGENT PHONE]

-------------------
Earn $100 from us right now.

Here's 'nother Uncle Joe twist.

THE REVERSE REFERRAL
Don't wait for the customer to solicit...

Taking an idea from the real estate play book. When a realtor gets a new listing, they'll send out a post card to the nearby neighbors for biz. Car buyers are very proud (like a new born parent is). Car dealers could send out a post card to the immediate neighbors announcing the "new arrival" in the neighborhood. Maybe something like:

"There's a New Audi in your Neighborhood"

If the tradein is retail-able, I'd tell the neighbors the tradein is looking for a new home and ask if they knew of any one looking for a good deal.

Neighbor's are often looking to a tool to break the ice, this could be one way to stir the pot.

Just an idea.