• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Sales Contest Ideas?

Blake,

Pick 5 key areas that are important to your dealership and rank your salespeople in each category. Then add the points from each category to get a winner.

Categories could be:

1. Units delivered
2. Most people logged in CRM
3. E-mail collection percentage
4. CSI scores
5. Gross

Person who comes in last needs to be kicked to the curb.

One I've thrown around (but have yet to see implemented*) is a tournament--pair up the salesmen and advance through the bracket every N days. For the inevitable places where you don't have an even number after a cut, throw in a few wild card slots (could be units, could be something else) for eliminated people to get back in.

*I'm not the decider on such things; I merely take the contest as handed down from the sales managers and incorporate it into our update spreadsheet to pull the data that's already in there. This way, all the managers have to do is hit print to have an update on the contest.

We do something similar to you Blake and also looking for something fresh. I like the CRM idea as we just went through Dealer Socket implementation this week and that would be a good way to kickstart the activity. Thanks!

The hard part of incentives is to do or offer something that everyone wants and will motivate them to perform. Almost everyone salesperson says money is the strongest motivator, but most salespeople have unlimited earning potential through normal sales and this doesn't always motivate them. I think it is important to get your sales staff's input on what they want to get. If they contribute then it might be something they are willing to push themselves to reach. I had one manager that did this, but he even took it to the next level, by asking each of us what we wanted individually, and the winner got what we wanted (approved before hand of course).

I remember one sales person did want money, but others wanted a giftcard to a restraunt, an office for the week (vs a cubicle), a vehicle for the weekend, . This went on for weeks, once you won you would come up with something else. This seemed to really motivate us.

Another fun incentive was more of a lottery, that was pretty big. Everytime you sold a car it added a ticket to the bucket. So the more you sold the more likely you had to win. There were also multiple prizes so you could win a a couple times.

Other incententives I have seen are team based, where everyone has to meet goal for everyone to win. But this sucks when you do everything you are sopposed to do but another person doesnt pull their weight and you dont get it.

Remember to make goals challenging yet achievable.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 person
My old GSM used to do a point system. 10 points would count towards a pick of a drawing. He would have gifts like football jerseys, playstations, gift certificates, etc... you could spin a wheel with the gifts up there or pick a card. You can figure out the details but it was a big deal and we all went to his house to do it. If you got something you already had or whatever you could trade it or sell it there. It was so much fun and the best contest I was ever part of.

You just can't go cheap on the gifts. The best part about it was most everyone walked away with some sort of gift.

Jerry it sounds like you have someone in mind to can...lol :rofl:

No! The person you may be thinking of actually had a good call recently. He just need a swift kick in the rear to get motivated. I made that comment based a Jack Welch book. He mentioned that one of his philosophies at GE was to replace the bottom 10-20% every year so they could make room for the future superstars. I do believe many dealerships settle for complacency and that needs to change.

I would have to believe that if you could mirror two universes and examine the results of making or not making the following statement, "low man on the list gets fired!" The universe where that statement was made would outperform the universe where it was business as usual.

By the way I put some more Phone Ninja training manuals in the mail to you. Perhaps you can mail back my Kindle/Phone charger I left behind, did you find it?