• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Sales Contest Ideas?

Let the salespeople own it yet you control and manage it. The main thing you want is salesperson buy-in so that everyone participates. Set the contest up just like you set your goals up. Daily, Weekly, Monthly, Quarterly.

Daily Activity is the key to any contest. I like the idea of a "CHANCE" box/prize. For example: Set a specific incentive or prize for the top salesperson of the day. Remember to use some of the criteria that Jerry mentioned above to measure who actually is the top salesperson of the day. The visible prize must be something with a determined value like a gift card. At the end of the day or team shift allow the top salesperson to take the determined value gift card or risk it all on the infamous CHANCE box. Here's where it gets fun. Some days you put something in the chance box that outweighs the gift card, some days you put something in there that is has no determined value (lunch with the GM/owner) and some days you put something funny like a whoopee cushion or rubber chicken in the chance box.

Remember to play this youtube clip on the whoopee cushion/rubber chicken days. The Price is Right losing horn - YouTube

There is nothing worse than hearing the “price is right” losing horn when things don’t go your way.

Ideas for the CHANCE box?

We did a dealership-wide referral promotion. In addition to cash paid, there was a drawing with the winner getting the dealer's parking spot for the month (this is a bigger incentive when snow is in the forecast) and the dealer also had to wash the winner's car.

Drawing? That's a random event. I would think he/she who generated the most sold referrals should be crowned the winner. Did anyone video the owner washing the car, now that would make for a nice YouTube video. The real prize is in the commissions one would make from generating extra sales. It' always fun to have events like these to bring attention to what we should be doing.

Take a different approach and use this contest to build out content for your positive online reputation - resulting in more sales for everyone every month rather one month.

Top 2 sales representatives to acquire the most online customer reviews
The Winners get some type of bonus BUT they also get a Homepage graphic with their photo and name

Something like this..
28227.jpg

Throw some video in the mix for a bonus level.
Whoever receives the most positive reviews and customer testimonial videos takes top prize.

Now you have motivation AND quality content that can be re purposed across several online marketing mediums.

WIN WIN

Reactions: 3 people
How about this idea.

Let's step away from the old idea of how many deals this month but focus in on how can we get more in the future.

In the era of ZMOT and the Thank you Economy, maybe creating an incentive to get more positve reviews is something to be considered.

What if you put an incentive out there for the salesmen that received the most postive online reviews in a month....or two.

Most likely if it was approached right the winner would end up with two 2-3 max. It would take a little work to determine the winner but would be well worth it as long as it was executed propperly.

That means giving the salesmen some ground rules on best practices on how to ask for those reviews the right way and then checking the major review sites at the end of the month.

One idea that I have heard is to put the picture and the phone # of the one who wins somewhere in the website...maybe under a tab that says Salesmen of the month or something to that affect.

Put the reviews under it so people can see why they want to call him. Undoubtedly that will catch the attention of the rest of the salesmen and they will be more inclined to go after those reviews as well.

Again it needs to have some ground rules. But if you listen to folks like Dennis Galbraith and Gary Vanderchuk and you realize that that the sales proccess these days is less about the close and more about your preception on line, then this should make sense in what ever capacity you employ the incentive.

I've been reading DRIVE by Dan Pink, it's about the "Surprising truth about what really motivates us" and it's made look at spiffs in a completely different way. Just thought I'd throw that in there. We've been running spiffs where a sales guy, or combo of players get a trip to an NFL game, all expenses paid. It's a helluva way to drum up excitement.

Points come from sales, getting a google or DealerRater review, chem pack, penetration on accessories... all of which can be substituted by whatever your focus happens to be at the time. Points can be weighted however you want.

Reactions: 1 person
I've been reading DRIVE by Dan Pink, it's about the "Surprising truth about what really motivates us" and it's made look at spiffs in a completely different way. Just thought I'd throw that in there. We've been running spiffs where a sales guy, or combo of players get a trip to an NFL game, all expenses paid. It's a helluva way to drum up excitement.

Love that stuff by Dan Pink. We've been looking at doing something along the lines of what he talks about. I just sort of used a new approach of putting the responsibility and creativity into our in house photographers' own hands in the the hopes that they take more pride and ultimately feel happier/more satisfied at the end of the day. Maybe they go home and brag about what they've implemented at work instead of just working. We'll see how it goes with them *crosses fingers*.

On another note we were discussing what do for the holidays this year and we thought of a fresh idea. That is, instead of paying everyone a $100-$200 holiday bonus, invite everyone to a party and put up an aged unit for an employee only raffle. With roughly 100 employees the bonuses add up; why not create some excitement and raffle off a $15,000 aged unit? Still tossing around the idea.