• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Senior Software Engineer (3rd Platform)

Jarrett

Boss
Nov 24, 2009
First Name
Jarrett
Company Overview

DealerTeam has built the Automotive Industry's first business application platform. We are driven on providing replacements to legacy systems with applications as easy to use as Amazon.com and social as Facebook. Our next generation solution is the first of it’s kind, founded on the technology stack known as the 3rd Platform (http://www.idc.com/prodserv/3rd-platform/).

Position Overview

As a Senior Software Engineer you will design, develop, test and deploy solutions that evolve our platform for use in Automotive Dealerships, Automotive Manufacturing and Consumer Interfaced Applications. You should be passionate about solving tough technical problems, understanding customer impact and recommending improvements to products and processes.

• You will be engaged in developing software through all elements of the lifecycle.

• You will use your experience to work with team members to develop new features, as well as, enhance existing applications.

• You will be responsible for building Cloud/Web-based solutions.

• You will follow Agile development methodology to bring to market feature rich, yet this sliced enhancements.

Requirements
  • 3+ years of Java (or other strongly typed OOP language)

• 2+ years of experience browser and web-services technology including javascript frameworks, ReST, and Relational Database technology.

• Ability to read/write in common web scripting languages such as php

• Full stack development experience

• Experience with Agile development methodology, Test-Driven Development, short delivery cycles

• Ability to learn quickly and deliver high quality code in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment

• Bachelor's Degree or greater in Computer Science or related subject matter

Desired Skills
  • Development experience on Salesforce Force.com platform using Apex, VisualForce a huge plus.

• Experience with addressing software scalability & performance.
Interested in applying? Want to know more? Contact me directly or reply to this thread~

Reactions: anthonycapital
Hehe..Kinda odd to see a post like that here. I wonder how many folks with Computer Science backgrounds and development experience are regular readers of this forum..

But hey..as someone with years of experience as a developer as well as running software companies, recruiting and managing developers, let me offer some constructive feedback on your job ad.

Drop the degree requirement - Experience and skill mean everything. I've seen countless "paper tigers" who had advanced engineering degrees who were simply awful developers. The requirements for success in the classroom and in a fast-paced development environment are vastly different. If your development team can't vet a developer through their code and discussions, and instead relies on arbitrary things like a degree to gauge their ability, then you are in serious trouble.

Fix your typos - Your job ad reads like it was written by a marketing or HR drone, not an actual developer. Misuses of acronyms and buzzwords abound. And there are basic typos. (It's not ReST. It's REST. What is a "this sliced enhancements"?) Developers spot this stuff a mile away. The best developers want to work in developer led cultures and stuffy ads with the usual phrases like "fast-paced, dynamic team environment" are a sign that they are entering the dull, boring corporate world.

Ask for code - Great developers want to show off their code. They are interested in companies that have enough of a developer culture to ask for their Github username in a job posting.

Tell me why I should work for you - The unemployment rate for good developers is 0%. And you are competing with companies that are frequently run by developers who know exactly how to talk to them and recruit them. Most HR folks are used to being in the position of power when it comes to hiring. That's just not the case when it comes to good developers. Listing requirements is fine, but you have to sell them on you. Again, developers look for developer culture. Your job ad needs to exude that.

It's not too hard to recruit average or mediocre developers. But if you want to attract the people that are 5-10 times better than average, you'll have to up your game a bit.

Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback. You made some great points. I knew posting on here was a bit off color. In the past I have made some good friends / acquaintances here some of whom are highly technical.

Much appreciated.

Hey Jarrett, you can also try LinkedIn,

We have found it's surprisingly effective to reach out to folks in your area who have the skills you want (ie search "Java"), and contact them asking if they would be interested in talking with you. The first call to them is a sales pitch from you to get them to listen to you, and from there, if they are interested you can treat them as a "self referred" candidate.

You could also look at non-traditional secondary options like Udacity

I'm a programmer by trade and I frequent these forums.

I'm with @Mark A Hoffman - who still requires a degree?
That Bachelor's Degree in programming is valuable for about 18 months before you're learning by doing like every other programmer.
The best part? You're asking for someone with a Bachelor's Degree who also learns quickly.

I've hired with and without a degree and can tell you that there's no definitive difference at all, except those with a degree blew 150k on an education they could have gotten for $1.50 in late fees from the library.