• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

SEO vs SOCIAL MEDIA - which one ?

When referring to Social Media: the use of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and such. The sharing of self generated or outside content but used ONLY within your social pages.

Will a social page built with in the dealer's site considered a social media avenue? Notice the social tab with entries in this website: Rairdon's Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram SRT Viper of Smokey Point Arlington, Wa New & Used Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge, Ram, SRT, Viper in Arlington, WA 98223

I don't know if I'm taking this thread to a different subject but I would like to ask Jeff why do we have to "advertise" our social media work in other people's websites when we can do it in our own where we have a local and interested audience plus at the same time help build the content and SEO value of our website?

NOTE: These are not the best examples of well done social entries as they are not greatelly key worded and they need to be longer, have a better link strategy, but I added this dealer just as an example of where to do SM entries.

The answer is easily SEO. You're asking if I'd rather have an opportunity at more traffic or the opportunity to increase my conversion rate. If you only have the ability/skills to properly optimize pages on the site, you will not only be increasing your visibility for search, but you should also be optimizing for engagement and conversions. So if my traffic doesn't change or even decreases, I have the ability to do more with less. Social can affect traffic, but not conversions the way page optimization and content development can.

Reactions: 1 person
I can't/won't vote But I love Rory's point. Given all that is listed on the SEO side, just a toe in the social waters with that same content would be more than more dealers "DO."

I want to say Thank YOU and Welcome to all of the 1st time posters on this poll!

Yago, the Smokey Point Kids and their overwhelmed leaders have a crazy world of their own going on up there...#AutoMarketingNeverlandMeetsWonka

I can't/won't vote But I love Rory's point. Given all that is listed on the SEO side, just a toe in the social waters with that same content would be more than more dealers "DO."

I want to say Thank YOU and Welcome to all of the 1st time posters on this poll!

Yago, the Smokey Point Kids and their overwhelmed leaders have a crazy world of their own going on up there...#AutoMarketingNeverlandMeetsWonka

Social entries should (will!) look more like this: 2014 Infiniti Q50 in Seattle | Seattle Luxury Cars

those ones that I showed from Dodge were some tests as of what is the minimum needed for Google to index. I'll put some better ones shortly.

Jeff poses an interesting hypothetical question. It's like asking a dealer to choose between front-end and back-end gross - a choice that most dealers wouldn't be willing to make.

Let's look a little deeper at the purposes of these two endeavors; SEO, in today's world and in the past, is designed to drive traffic to a website. More than that, it is designed to drive FRESH traffic to a website. SEO is about digitally introducing yourself to prospects.

Social, on the other hand, is much more about nurturing relationships with existing customers while garnering the occasional referral. Social is changing and the line is blurring between SEO and Social but I argue, in it's purest sense, Social is about developing existing relationships.

It seems most dealerships would choose SEO and the new opportunities that come with it. But Social offers deeper relationships and more loyal customers. A choice between new business growth and developing the existing customer base.

Sophie's Choice indeed...

Reactions: 1 person
Kelly,

These are better entries content wise:

News & Events

Barrier License Plate Frame Program

Hey Yago, I just had a question. Why do you choose to use underscores over dashes? While Bing says that they don't treat them differently at all, Google has mentioned a few times that it does have a minor place in their algorithm. Long story short, the underscores can have a negative impact on your rankings - be it a miniscule one.

Hey Yago, I just had a question. Why do you choose to use underscores over dashes? While Bing says that they don't treat them differently at all, Google has mentioned a few times that it does have a minor place in their algorithm. Long story short, the underscores can have a negative impact on your rankings - be it a miniscule one.

Matt Cutts used one example long time ago about that, if you read it is some personal technical preference. But finished the entry by saying:

To answer a common question, Google doesn’t algorithmically penalize for dashes in the url.

So with that in mind, no difference at all, I like underscores because it is easier for people to read the URLs than with dashes and make a visual reference between their Google search and the URL in the results.

For example if I Google "infiniti q50 seattle" I actually have 2 entries with the 2 different approaches, I think the second one is easier to read:

infinitiofkirkland.com/2014-infiniti-q50

infinitiofkirkland.com/Infinitis_Drive_by_Wire_Q50_Sedanl

Matt Cutts brought it up again in late 2011: Underscores vs. dashes in URLs - YouTube

In the video he says it's better to stick with the dash, but it's not a huge factor. Here's an article specifically about the video by Search Engine Land: Google & Bing (Still) Handle Underscores & Dashes Differently

I can see where you are coming from on the readability side, but SEO wise the dash is the better choice. That being said, it's only fair if I share some of mine for you to critique: 2013 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 for Sale | Ressler Motors : Discover the brand new 2013 Toyota Tacoma 4x4