• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

SEO vs SOCIAL MEDIA - which one ?

Thank you for letting me critique yours: Flat out is horrible! (just kidding).

I'm glad you sent it, it is good for dealers and vendors alike to be able to see different pieces of work. Unlike what many people think this is not a fight, I learn more from someone like you than perhaps from reading many web blogs. Also note my belief that there are 100 ways to resolve every SEO challenge.

Now about your page;

It seems more like a landing model page than a pure SEO page. As a model landing page is great: model info, rebates, quick access to inventory tab, equipment, etc.

As an SEO piece there is no GEO reference in the URL or the body so searching for the tittle brings national results https://www.google.com/search?q=201...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a I mention that because sometimes in order to get that page to show in highly rated SEO searches you must find some content compromises ike for example make some contnet repetitive incesions (drive this Toyota on Seattle, park it in your Seattle garage, etc).

If they weren't in Montana, I'd totally agree with you. Sadly, being in one of the least populated states makes specific searches pretty sparse. However, they have been able to generate some sales nationally for some Toyota Tacoma related searches. "Toyota Tacoma For Sale" is actually one of the better individual vehicle searches out there. Sadly, that page doesn't rank well for that specific phrase, but it does get in the top 5 for some longer tail versions.

My main problems with it are:
1. Capital letters in URL. Not a big deal with an Apache based server, but if they ever switched they would have to consider rewrites for the url.
2. Boring layout
3. Lack of video

If someone wanted to they could one-up the page with self hosted video in an html-5 based player, and video sitemap. That way you could possibly produce a video rich-snippet in the serps.

Going back to the original topic, I think landing pages like the one's Yago posted are one of the big reasons why SEO is superior. You can do the keyword research to see how many people are actively searching for that vehicle, and optimize that page in a way to get them to visit your site. Facebook-ers interested in that Infiniti are more likely to just click on the Infinity brand itself, and not an individual dealers page - In my opinion.

That is definitely a tough one, but I voted for Social Media for two reasons:

1. I knew it would be the underdog
2. I'm a CRM guy, so I love the idea of retaining business which comes with Word of Mouth new opportunities

I think we'll see a lot of shifting, over the next 24 months, away from our "lust for leads" into a world of "real money is in retention."

Historically speaking many cars were exceedingly different from one another and the manufacturers were able to build a strong brand on their product. Today, there are over 300 vehicle choices in the low $30,000 territory and not a ton of differentiation other than styling. The quality behind what every manufacturer produces is fantastic, so reliability isn't much of a differentiator anymore. Feature for feature most cars are virtually identical in a lot of ways with only the savviest of the techiest finding minor technical differences.

Sure, in the luxury and sport car areas driving experiences and fashion trends will still be major differentiators, but for the volume lines....not so much.

We are led by the products we sell and as the products we sell appeal to more and more of a general audience, we will also need to do our best to follow suit. This is why I think we are destined to focus more on retention and shift away from our binge on new opportunities. Choosing between website SEO or a social media presence will be a small choice amidst the many that will surface because of this.

Reactions: 3 people
Ed Brooks: But Social offers deeper relationships and more loyal customers.
Thank you Ed for the Bling Bling! Higher Gross Profit, Higher Quality Lead,and Higher Retention Rate!

Jeff poses an interesting hypothetical question. It's like asking a dealer to choose between front-end and back-end gross - a choice that most dealers wouldn't be willing to make.

Let's look a little deeper at the purposes of these two endeavors; SEO, in today's world and in the past, is designed to drive traffic to a website. More than that, it is designed to drive FRESH traffic to a website. SEO is about digitally introducing yourself to prospects.

Social, on the other hand, is much more about nurturing relationships with existing customers while garnering the occasional referral. Social is changing and the line is blurring between SEO and Social but I argue, in it's purest sense, Social is about developing existing relationships.

It seems most dealerships would choose SEO and the new opportunities that come with it. But Social offers deeper relationships and more loyal customers. A choice between new business growth and developing the existing customer base.

Sophie's Choice indeed...

Going back to the original topic, I think landing pages like the one's Yago posted are one of the big reasons why SEO is superior. You can do the keyword research to see how many people are actively searching for that vehicle, and optimize that page in a way to get them to visit your site. Facebook-ers interested in that Infiniti are more likely to just click on the Infinity brand itself, and not an individual dealers page - In my opinion.

Amen but;

Why can't we create these great SEO pages with Social content? Why does Social media have to be ONLY when is posted in facebook?

Don't close your FB account, but do the longer entries also in your website.

Reactions: 3 people
With limited bandwidth, I would start with SEO.

One reason is: after a few months of optimizing the site, many aspects of SEOing will become passive. It'll become more of monitoring rankings, checking on traffic and making sure that all the hard work is paying off. The exception is blogging. I think a well researched and relevant article will take about 5 hours of work.

After SEO is optimal and in monitoring mode, with the free time at hand and the knowledge that social signals help SEO (+ their own inherent benefits) I will have no choice but to start working on social campaigns.

If you could choose only one and ONLY one - which would you choose to add to your dealers marketing mix?

SEO or SOCIAL MEDIA?

Now, before you jump the gun and start commenting, allow me to define the two for the purpose of this thread...

View attachment 1486

When referring to SEO: traditional on page SEO content for your dealership website. This includes the optimization of individual content pages, inventory pages (VDP) with the addition of a strong blogging platform (preferably an extension of your dealers primary domain).

Your dealer website / blog can include social "share" buttons but remember, if you choose SEO you have none of your own (dealer) social pages/accounts. So only social share buttons would be permitted.

When referring to Social Media: the use of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and such. The sharing of self generated or outside content but used ONLY within your social pages.

If you choose Social - you're opting OUT of any onsite / on page SEO. This includes anything past generic tagging and content on your dealership website.

I know many of you will feel obligated to speak up and comment on the fact that SEO and Social go hand in hand and the fact that SEO has "changed". I believe most of us reading this are already in the know, BUT for the sake of this conversation, lets separate the two.

Consider - If you only have the bandwidth to seriously dedicate resources to one or the other which of the 2 are you going to choose?

Once you've voted and shared your answer here in the comments... share WHY.

WHY did you choose the one you did?

Which do you believe will deliver your dealership more opportunities and better results?

Just Out, [h=1]Google Makes Social Signals Top Factor for Organic SERP Rank[/h]Google Makes Social Signals Top Factor for Organic SERP Rank - Automotive Digital Marketing Professional Community