• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

SEO vs SOCIAL MEDIA - which one ?

Any proof that this this applies to our space?

Right at the bottom of the Searchmetrics study: "This content is an overview of our detailed Ranking Factors – Rank Correlation 2013 study. The results are based on correlation and are not proof of any causal effects." So, while it is known that social metrics impact search results, they are not the be-all-end-all of ranking factors.

SEO Ranking Factors - Rank Correlation 2013 for Google USA 2013

Moz has partnered with several studies, and hasn't been able to narrow down the true impact, saying that "While we still don’t know the true impact of social signals (which, admittedly, is probably a moving target depending on many factors), we do know that social signals are increasing in importance with regard to the ranking algorithm, and will continue to do so."

Your Guide to Social Signals for SEO - Moz

Website Magazine just released an article talking about how social signals are going to be over hyped in the coming months because of the Searchmetrics results: Stop the Social Media, SEO Madness - 'Net Features - Website Magazine

For both social metrics and links great content is the driving factor. You need great content to build up your social presence in order to get your posts in front of people who may link to you. You also need great content in order to rank organically, especially with the Panda updates being continually rolled out 10 out of every 30 days.

Google's Panda Dance: Matt Cutts Confirms Panda Rolls Out Monthly Over 10 Of 30 Days

Reactions: 1 person
Yes, and Google+ is weighed extremely heavy in SERPs. Below is a screenshot for a search for "ford f-150" in one of our markets. These were #3 and #5, right below Ford.com and MotorTrend. This is true for every single post I've made on Google+ or pages I've +1 on our site.

View attachment 1706
Is this because of the Google+ or the rel="author" tag?

Chad, did you append "&pws=0" at the end of the Google SERP URL to depersonalize your rankings? Otherwise, you are seeing personalized results, which are not accurate. Using a completely independent browser with absolutely no search history or personalization, and setting my location to your city, I have you on at #7 on the first page, but that has more to do with your internal linking structure than a +1. You have link juice flowing to that landing page from some of your more powerful pages on your website.

http://www.opensiteexplorer.org/lin...n-grand-island-hastings-and-kearney-nebraska/

I just started a case study analyzing the impact of +1's on search results, so I will have some data to back that up by the end of the month.

In the mean time here's another case study:
http://www.bowlerhat.co.uk/blog/google-plus-seo-experiment/

The case study doesn't give us any info as to what the domain authority for each website was, or the overall on-site SEO as compared to the competition, but it is at least something. What he found was that +1's can help in uncompetitive searches, but not so much for competitive searches. With such a small case study it's hardly substantial, but it does show that social metrics are part of the ranking algorithm.

Last edited:
Everyone should take a look at their Google Analytics before answering this question. Look at your overall traffic, then look at your Google / Organic traffic, filter out keywords that contain your dealer name (because you will rank for those regardless if you do SEO or not), and see how you really stand for SEO.

Since the original challenge allowed "Basic" SEO, your dealership name and VDP's alone will create their own keywords and rankings. Chances are the majority 80+ % of your traffic has nothing to do with SEO.

I feel Social Media has the growing advantage here with more opportunities when you can combine the time and know how to dedicate towards it.

Chad, did you append "&pws=0" at the end of the Google SERP URL to depersonalize your rankings? Otherwise, you are seeing personalized results, which are not accurate. Using a completely independent browser with absolutely no search history or personalization, and setting my location to your city, I have you on at #7 on the first page, but that has more to do with your internal linking structure than a +1. You have link juice flowing to that landing page from some of your more powerful pages on your website.

I'll have to double check in a minute. I have a custom Google depersonalization search provider set up in Chrome, but I'm not sure if I was defaulted to it at the time of that search. But you are probably correct if that is what you are seeing.