• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Silly Shit in the car business! Post your favorite!

Merchandising Test: When you think of your store, are you more like a carnival or a jewelry store?

Ahh... you say, "it depends on the Franchise"

Lexus/Infinity/Caddy = Jewelery Store
Ford/Kia/Chevy = Carnival

I sell used cars... I like balloons ;-)

Merchandising Test: When you think of your store, are you more like a carnival or a jewelry store?

There can be a balanced mixture of the two. Case in point (since were talking Jewelery.) Tiffany mall stores have bank vault front doors and a guard at the door. That lends itself on the border of practicality (overkill) and carnival attraction.

It depends a lot on location too... we are a stand alone dealer... we use some of the usually signs/balloons but they do not have a big impact...

Now when I worked on a strip... I can honestly say that if you did not have fresh balloons and signs you had less traffic coming in...

Now of course putting nice balloons on aged dirty inventory does nothing... you need to complete all steps to reap the benefits...

JK, wasn't that purple gorilla from our MileOne store up in Bel Air? I miss the purple gorilla. Just when you think you are the most cutting edge dealer group in the country, some guy starts blowing up a f%20ing gorilla...

I have some funny stories but I am afraid to publish them and ruin my reputation on your forum.

You want to know what's sad? Some dealers spend more on balloons and helium then they do on training. :(

I guess that is my point. I know this is a light-hearted thread, but I have been in meetings where a sales manager or lot manager was verbally raped by a GM or DP, because of the lack of balloons, which I guess I would equate to "merchandising".

And while I feel that it is important to merchandise, I just think that balloons (or insert silly stuff here) are taking precedence over more important things. Considering at some dealerships it can take one to two hours for sales people to properly "balloon accessorize" and yet we can't find anyone to work the service aisle(s) seems counter-productive. We preach one on ones and the best time I have found to do that is in the morning; which is prime time ballooning.

Even if you have a lot manager(s) or porters doing this every morning, I have found that other things that are critical (getting inventory out, stickered, photographed, and kept clean) suffer.

I like balloons too honestly :D; but I was using it as a "silly shit" example of how this business tends to do things the same way, because that is the way Grandpa did it, instead of stepping back and looking at the overall picture and prioritizing opportunities.

Just my 2 cents...

http://www.linkedin.com/in/christopherbhawley

Currently looking for a career opportunity!

Last edited:
Once I was negotiating with a vendor (who shall remain nameless) who was getting frustrated with me and the deal I wanted. Instead of forwarding an email to his boss about me- he hit reply and sent the angry and unflattering email about me- back to me. Imagine the horror he must have felt upon that realization... Lol. Poor guy.

Once I was negotiating with a vendor (who shall remain nameless) who was getting frustrated with me and the deal I wanted. Instead of forwarding an email to his boss about me- he hit reply and sent the angry and unflattering email about me- back to me. Imagine the horror he must have felt upon that realization... Lol. Poor guy.

That is the stuff Superbowl commercials are made of! I think anybody that uses email for business can probably identify with that scenario on some level. Gotta ask, did you reply?