• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Social Media Gurus - Dealers Be Careful!

ed.brooks

Boss
Jan 15, 2010
Awards
First Name
Ed
Let me start by stating clearly: I know there are a number of dependable, honest and GOOD Social Media experts and consultants out there. I also know that when something new comes along, there is a tendency to want to jump on board the bandwagon. And when that "something" is over-hyped to the extreme, we want to get on board quickly. If we don't have much knowledge about whatever the "something" is, we do the obvious: hire a consultant!

Here is a cautionary tale on Econsultancy.com. It's the story of a business that hired a guru only to be scammed by "fake" followers. The numbers looked great but meant nothing.

Here's a completely NSFW (language) video that illustrates the point perfectly. Wear headphones, lock the kids in the attic, but it is hilarious.

The long and short of it, as Econsultancy.com says, "The hype around social media has certainly made it a juicy target and business owners should be particularly vigilant and demanding when it comes to hiring someone to handle their social media presence."

The views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of any former, current or future employers or employees of mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to be the most greatest awesomest social media guru to have ever walked the earth.

Funny video. Thanks for sharing Ed.

You know, there is always a part of me that predicts social media will eventually crash and burn. We'll eventually get bored with the high frequency of bs. :)

Since when did FB become "social" in a nutshell? FB may exit the spotlight, but social media is going nowhere. We are an inherently social species - look at you guys....um, you're not into social, really??? Uh, ok, I'll believe that when you stop updating your blogs/forums/4 gay square/and every other "social" media and yes - I SEE YOU ON FB, even though you are all so over it. Stop trying to be too cool for school. If you weren't on any of them, then I would believe your rhetoric more. WE ARE SOCIAL. I'm not saying its the end all be all for bidness, but you're there, I'm there, our moms are there and for some of us our kids are there. You're just jealous you guys aren't banking in on a social site....oh wait...some of you are...what, what? :) Stop dissin' z'man and instead, invent the next big thing....we can call it, um, hmmm, BookFace...