• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Social Media - Keep In House Or Contract Outside???

I don't know if I'd call it tedious work. It is time consuming, takes some strategic thought and requires a service attitude.

Your social media efforts should be more about building your local dealership brand (what can I expect from buy X brand from you) with at least an equal amount of attention on the community.

You're not selling cars, you're selling a positive image and the anticipation of a good and fair buying experience. For those who get to the level of social media in their research process, you're making your dealership more approachable.

Meant tedious as it becomes repetitive pretty quick, you can''t figure out something new for your SM campaign every day with a $300/month budget.

Meant tedious as it becomes repetitive pretty quick, you can''t figure out something new for your SM campaign every day with a $300/month budget.

Agreed. It's all about conveying your culture and attitude. Of course if your dealership has more "attitude" than a defined culture, outsourcing may be a "solution." But that can be true for any business type.

IMO: No outsourcing! Do what you can. Know your audiences. Always Be Real. Provide relivent content. Build relationships. Grow with social tools and identify how they fit into your marketing ASAP but revisit the idea often. No gimmicks. No Spaming! NO SELLING.

If you do it right, social will sell you cars, increase service ROs and build your brand-you just have to use it properly & understand how ​it will help.

Evan,

Remember that the greatest measure of success with social is ultimately engagement. How deeply, frequently, and effectively have you engaged your audience?

Facebook has recently made, and continues to crack down on fraudulent "Likes". It's easy to be tempted to engage a company that promises to add substantial likes -- but just as you wouldn't hire a company to post fake reviews, you should avoid the same strategy here.

Remember that at the end of the day Facebook makes it's money from ad revenue, but also from applications. Remember also that applications allow you much further insight into your customers data-- instead of just a name.

To see an example of this, go to Log In | Facebook. Click "Edit Settings" to the right hand side of "How people bring your info to apps they use". Did you know that Applications could access all of that information? Above that, you can also see how many applications are accessing it. Unless you've previously gone through the settings (which few people do) this is all information you might leverage to better engage your audience internally.

There are certainly some effective choices of vendors for managed social, but regardless of your decision one of the great challenges will be syncing your dealership initiatives with the technical platform of Facebook. The content is one of the least engaged pieces, whereas apps are one of the highest. A larger questions is, what is vendor or internal strategy focused on?

Remember that the greatest measure of success with social is ultimately engagement.
It's funny how people interpret words differently. I have been "engaged" twice. The first time, I came to my senses. The second time, it took twenty five years and a lot of money to correct the problem. "Service" is another. I was about ten years old when I helped my uncle load up his prize bull in to a trailer. We were taking it to a neighbor to service one of his cows. After I witnessed that, I knew I didn't want anything to do with being serviced.
I usually only think of these two words, in this context, when vendors are talking about social media

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Remember that the greatest measure of success with social is ultimately engagement.
It's funny how people interpret words differently. I have been "engaged" twice. The first time, I came to my senses. The second time, it took twenty five years and a lot of money to correct the problem. "Service" is another. I was about ten years old when I helped my uncle load up his prize bull in to a trailer. We were taking it to a neighbor to service one of his cows. After I witnessed that, I knew I didn't want anything to do with being serviced.
I usually only think of these two words, in this context, when vendors are talking about social media

Doug, what goes on in that brain of yours?

Better yet don't answer that.

Love this. Facebook isn't worth investing a bunch of time or money into. Setup your page, add content, photos, etc, build fans up a few hundred. Add content once a month or so when you have time and let it be. Facebook is good for only two things: Small talk with people who have way too much free time, and a portal to let customers rant about whatever you did wrong at the dealership. When in the first place, they should have just contacted the manager. 95% of companies have people complain on Facebook, they respond by call this number and speak to this manager, and it's done..

Anyone who says because of Facebook they are selling 10 or even 100 more cars a month is full of it, period. And if you want to argue retention value since you're "connected on Facebook" let's compare this. What's worth more? A salesperson calling them once a month to check in or a facebook page they post things on.. Either way customers are connecting. I would much rather calls be made than for social networks to be a form of contact. Regardless you should be doing call followups anyways, Facebook isn't needed.

I know we've had a 10+ page thread about this before, but just saying it again.
Put your money elsewhere..

"Facebook isn't needed."
I disagree. Reminds me of once upon a time when a very wise man said: "A dealership website isn't needed."