• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Social Media - Keep In House Or Contract Outside???

"Facebook isn't needed."
I disagree. Reminds me of once upon a time when a very wise man said: "A dealership website isn't needed."
It's cute like a new puppy. It should stay off the furniture (know it's place Consumer Relations), Sleep most of the time (not be too needy), be paper trained (not cost much) and be good with kids (don't confuse itself with sales).

Reactions: 2 people
So, I have been experimenting with paid promotional posts, differing content, etc... all "in house" for about a dozen dealers I work with - As an example:

ScreenHunter_01 Feb. 21 07.53.jpg

I spent $10--- yes $10... as I am a big spender! ;) - and got the following results per FaceBook:

ScreenHunter_02 Feb. 21 07.53.jpg

You can see that the post "reached", or more accurately was forced, into 2181 peoples feeds... all of the people that LIKE our page, and people they are friends with - most people are friends with family and LOCAL loved ones right? So estimated CPM was $5 -- pretty cheap.

Some stats: Interactions we received - 25 people "liked" the post. 2 people commented. And 1 poster even shared on his wall - meaning everyone of his friends saw it as well!

ScreenHunter_03 Feb. 21 07.54.jpg

Also important was the link that I put in the post... 273 people clicked the link (it was trackable) and came to Experience Buick at Liberty Buick, Peoria, AZ (this was within a 4 day period) ... if we just look at the clicks - we only paid $0.04, yes 4 pennies, per click to get people to the site!

ScreenHunter_04 Feb. 21 07.56.jpg

All this points to content and quality, vs quantity... of posts. On any social media platform. It also means that the little guys can spend our dollars more effectively by posting and paying for the post to be advertised to people in our market. We don't have to pay a social media company $1000/month to do posts everyday (BIG waste of money IMO). Or even as some social media companies are doing charging you a "management" fee of a few hundred dollars to promote your posts... the still pass on the FaceBook ad fee as well.

My testing has also proved to me that people that like a car dealers page, expect to see car dealer stuff... promotions, sales, coupons, etc... just dont overdue it. This fluffy "like this picture" -- and posting a Happy Friday post...is a waste and BS in my opinion.

Just thought I would share - open to thoughts and ideas, questions, comments. THANKS!

Reactions: 6 people
Joe - isn't that the point? Finding content where you get the interaction? Does it really make sense for a dealer to post, or have a social media company do it for them, meaningless content -- Like:

ScreenHunter_04 Feb. 28 15.58.jpg ScreenHunter_03 Feb. 28 15.54.jpg

Doesn't a customer who LIKES a car dealer, want to see car related stuff? And more importantly - DEALER related posts like specials and promotions? Does this fluffy stuff that most social media companies post REALLY do the dealer a benefit? Doesn't the average person see enough of this stuff? Esp when this stuff gets limited interaction?

Is not there something to be said for continuity in marketing? If you have a $199 payment running .. shouldn't it be EVERYWHERE?

Reactions: 1 person
Drew!!! I love it! I am going to try your Buick example. I was just working on leases for sales for this months advertising and thats perfect stuff you did! We have gone in and created an ad from the Ads Manager, targeting a radius of the store, or using cities and targeting those and even radius around those, ages, etc. And we have found that using CPM works better sometimes. See my numbers below. We never use the "Promote" button, we found better results using Ads Manager.

We are just about to start service marketing on Facebook next week as well. This year our goal is to start more dealership marketing in our grass roots mix on FB. So far we have stayed away from the selling and more about fun post, trivia, community, weather, and so on to get people engaged with us. We do post some pictures time to time of people buying, events, Dealer Rater reviews, new products, etc. But never straight selling. You can see our page and the engagement it gets. Its worked for us and NO money spent with a 3rd party. I get comments all the time, "I saw your FB post about X, and it reminded me I needed an oil change" - or "I saw that post about the snow, reminded me the new Tahoe is coming out soon". We get comments all the time.

We have been doing all our Duke Facebook page in house since day 1. We've grown our LIKES from our own post - viral and paid. We post every post ourselves, we are looking at Hoot Suite currently but we want to stay away from anything canned and make it look more live.

Here are some numbers we have done this year.

Duke FB YTD Performance.jpg

View attachment 1544

First time this has ever happened to me... and now trying to remember how many "promoted" posts have had an image with TONS of text. Wonder how many their filter actually catches?

We found their filters are tight, we have gotten this a lot too. If you have a picture you have made changes too, such as when we took a picture of the Silverado loaded with toys and added the Toys for Tots logo and other wording they rejected it for the same reason. But when we post say a picture of a race car during Daytona that clearly has writing all over it, signs in the back ground ect, it goes through.

They have tightened up a lot.

from my "epic paper" you may have heard about...(and yes it's just a small section and a bit of a change of heart).

...Social Media is not a reputation Band-Aid nor a business listing directory, it is an amplifier. It will highlight the dealership for what it is, the good and bad. A dealer should decide if they have the right staff in house to reliably and professionally represent the brand on social media. The person must understand the changing landscape of the platforms; the latest trends, tools, and paradigm; handle positive and negative responses all while creating and finding awesome relevant content to share promoting the dealer’s brand message and culture.

If a dealer is unable or unwilling to have staff devoted to social media and content creation in their dealership, there are two options: The first option is to let the social conversations go on without any way to comment or effect the direction...The other option is “outsourcing” social media to a digital marketing company. Before a dealer chooses a company to represent them on the great wide web across the world, there is much research to be done...Finding a great marketing partner is very important as they will be they will effect and may even control a dealer’s public face and controlling the brand, image and reputation as perceived through most digital channels...The amount of content required to be successful on social media and in digital marketing is staggering....