• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Social Media Marketing:Which sites you are using?

That mean you are saying if any dealer is selling Ford car, they dont need social media!But how come people know, how much social reputation you have as Ford dealer while you have competitor's on your locality, what is the difference!Every one should have their own social media presence to represent their social identity and their social reputation.
For that effect as we all know, even Google is showing social signals as SERP,Take a look Matt Cutts word:YouTube - Does Google use data from social sites in ranking?, dont you think that signifies social media effects online marketing for car dealers as well?

Manufactures spend hundreds of millions a year making new cars look cool to their targeted demographics--which drives prospects to their local franchises. I'm saying that it COULD be well-argued that the OEM does all of the social media marketing work for them.

I do believe that dealers need to inch their way into social media this year, if they haven't already. But from those who are using it, you don't see overwhelming value reported, nor high expectations.

The approach that we've taken is the "customers don't like dealerships, they like people" one.....sure we have an online social presence for the dealership, but by getting the employees who want to be on Facebook anyway to understand the power a network holds and how to grow, nurture and inform that network who they are and what they do we have been able to grow our salespeople and help them help us. Check the fans of most Dealers who claim to have big fan counts, probably all the usual suspects vendors, consultants, gurus and the like. Most salespeople have a real network of real "suspects" who when nurtured just may buy a car from them.

This is the approach I would take from a dealership level.

I don't have a Muller Toyota facebook page anymore. I do have a twitter page - but I don't use it.

But, as Clay Toporski, dad, husband, golfer, photographer, packer fan & car salesman. Yes, I have twitter, facebook, etc...

The best customers have always been our friends and family. They are the ones that aren't as succeptible to the adversarial relationship between dealer and customer.

So, Ryan - yes. Social media is just like any other social network on or offline - it starts and ends with the employees, not the dealership itself.

Also, one last note. I hate how people try to say that just because social media strategies have worked for other business - means it should work for dealers.

Remember, dealership have a serious geographical barrier that social media does not have. The guy that follows me from California - or even from Philadelphia - isn't buying from me in New Jersey. So, please don't tell me that the millions of people on facebook are in my market - because they aren't.

Manufactures spend hundreds of millions a year making new cars look cool to their targeted demographics--which drives prospects to their local franchises. I'm saying that it COULD be well-argued that the OEM does all of the social media marketing work for them.

I do believe that dealers need to inch their way into social media this year, if they haven't already. But from those who are using it, you don't see overwhelming value reported, nor high expectations.
I would say every auto dealers should implement their social presence and maintain it by their own,and each employee should engage in that platform while they have free time,that way dealers can save their money and create the social influence.

This is the approach I would take from a dealership level.

I don't have a Muller Toyota facebook page anymore. I do have a twitter page - but I don't use it.

But, as Clay Toporski, dad, husband, golfer, photographer, packer fan & car salesman. Yes, I have twitter, facebook, etc...

The best customers have always been our friends and family. They are the ones that aren't as succeptible to the adversarial relationship between dealer and customer.

So, Ryan - yes. Social media is just like any other social network on or offline - it starts and ends with the employees, not the dealership itself.

Also, one last note. I hate how people try to say that just because social media strategies have worked for other business - means it should work for dealers.

Remember, dealership have a serious geographical barrier that social media does not have. The guy that follows me from California - or even from Philadelphia - isn't buying from me in New Jersey. So, please don't tell me that the millions of people on Facebook are in my market - because they aren't.
So if we can implement social media near to our locality and engage with targeted audience, then social media can be successful like others!If dealers are associated with local people through there social networks..then it will create a good impact..which enhance their marketing strategy...what do you think Muller?We cant expect a person NYC will buy a car from Vancouver..but we can expect a Vancouver resident can buy Car!I think that is the basic thought for social media by which dealer ship can get into their social foot prints!

I would say every auto dealers should implement their social presence and maintain it by their own,and each employee should engage in that platform while they have free time,that way dealers can save their money and create the social influence.

Each employee is not a qualified voice of the company, so I disagree there completely. All companies should have a social media policy in place to protect them from negative, proprietary information leaks, etc.

It's not about saving money, it's about getting the most value back for your activity.

So if we can implement social media near to our locality and engage with targeted audience, then social media can be successful like others!If dealers are associated with local people through there social networks..then it will create a good impact..which enhance their marketing strategy...what do you think Muller?We cant expect a person NYC will buy a car from Vancouver..but we can expect a Vancouver resident can buy Car!I think that is the basic thought for social media by which dealer ship can get into their social foot prints!

You can target campaigns, start with an existing customer base. Social media for dealers can be about extending a good buying experiencing and amplify a customer's volume of influence.