• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Taking pictures

Need some help from one of you photo experts....I approached our Owner about bumping up from our point and shoot Panasonic to a DSLR, he is convinced that it won't make a difference since internet photos aren't usually a high resolution. Any points I can use to convince him?

Do you know how to use Lightroom or Photoshop software? Are you familiar with how to shoot in RAW? If not you don't need a DSLR. Everyone thinks just because you get a DSLR camera, the photo quailty will be 10x better alone, that's never the case. (Unless, you're coming from a older 8-10 MP camera, 14-16 MP is enough though) A DSLR doesn't perform unless your going to actually be editing the photos.. If you are not going to be editing the photos, then you're doing snap and shoot anyways so just stick with it. Also it doesn't matter, for the resolution, car photos are being put online and reduced down so much anyways, (I actually prefer lower sizes for speed optimization). You don't need them for printing, so that argument is correct on his part.. Only upgrade I can see worth it, is if you are using the DSLR with different lenses for interior photos and what not.. Either way, point shoot will still get the job done. Does it really matter what camera? Not really, it's more about the photographer's skill-set with it.

Need Camcorder Suggestions!

Just hired a full time videographer (my step daughter ;-) Looking for an excellent camcorder with wide angle lens and external mic input.

My son-in-law's step father is a camera/video buff and he just purchased a Panasonic HDC-TM90. He is very pleased with it. I have seen some of the videos and they are really nice. It seems that it is in my face everytime I want to play with my grand daughter.

Need Camcorder Suggestions!

Just hired a full time videographer (my step daughter ;-) Looking for an excellent camcorder with wide angle lens and external mic input.

Suggestions and experiences needed!!

Canon 5D Mark II (5DMKII). More and more videographers are using it as you can get into it for much less money with excellent video quality. You can shift from video to still mode in an instant. Great all around camera body that can hold its own with the best cameras ever produced.

The used market on EF Canon lenses is phenomenal: Buy & Sell Photo-Gear - FM Forums <---great place to start.

P.P.S. I still don't understand why anyone needs a SLR to shoot 640 x 480 resolution images :thinker:

1) Sometimes, we want to shoot something more than 640x480.
2) I've yet to see a P&S that allows enough control over the image. (Canon's non-Elph point-and-shoots--which I do prefer over Nikon's--come close, but the inability to control the flash always killed it for me.)
3) RAW and high resolution lets us work faster in the bay by giving us more fudge factor...when it's 100 degrees and 95% humidity and you're in a metal building with no air conditioning, you want that.

Not saying that our choices are the right ones for everyone, but we find them to be right for us.

1) Sometimes, we want to shoot something more than 640x480.

You mean like 1024 x 768 :rofl: ....jk.

I get it though. I started shooting when I was 7 and have not seen a need to buy new gear in years. I'm still shooting with a 1DMKII and 1DsMKII (those are some old bodies now). When you get good at something you don't have to go all out. However, I started snowboarding last year and "had to" buy all the latest and greatest stuff. It was way overkill for a beginner and is still overkill for me even after 40+ days on the mountain (5 days = 1 season for most people).

So anyway, I get it. I like to bring nuclear missiles to knife fights too :)

Need some help from one of you photo experts....I approached our Owner about bumping up from our point and shoot Panasonic to a DSLR, he is convinced that it won't make a difference since internet photos aren't usually a high resolution. Any points I can use to convince him?

Aj,

You may need to work wth your website comany, but this is an example of what you can do.

Click here, click on the photo, then click LARGE

Bellevue Used 2009 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic near Seattle

We worked with this web guys to show 1024x768 size. I think it looks better than smaller sizes and it doesn't take much time to download.