• Stop being a LURKER - join our dealer community and get involved. Sign up and start a conversation.

Taking videos of your vehicles

Link your youtube videos

Just found this on damniwish.com - first I had heard of it and I thought you guys might find it useful. Here's the quote from Andy Sernovitz:

Did you know you can easily add links to your YouTube clips? LinkedTube is a simple website that allows you to add a button to your videos in the upper-right corner. You can make the button say whatever you want, link wherever you want, and can even add hover text and adjust when the button is displayed. Once you're done, you're given an embed code for your new "linked" video.

And the link:

LinkedTube - Video Links For YouTube

I made this video as a test in our Service Department at about 7:30pm (Reason for the bad lighting).

Originally I used our Flip Mino for everything, but it was very shaky and didn't seem right.

We also have a Canon A530 we use for digital stills that has video capability.

I had Kevin holding the Flip Mino as I did the wide shot with the Canon.

Then I edited everything together using the Flip simply as a microphone.

I'd be interested in some opinions or suggestions.

YouTube - RX8 Walkaround by Kevin Dogherty for Werner Mazda

We also did a "Why buy from us" video that we've added to our AutoTrader Used cars. YouTube - Werner Dealerships - Why buy from us

If you want to see what happens when I'm left alone with footage and time, click this link.

YouTube - Funniest car commercial EVER!

Sorry I am late in responding to several things... We use a link in our email templates to our videos. I completely agree that by having an embedded image/player, we get significantly more views of the video, but our primary concern is ensuring that the email does not get filtered by spam.

Joe, you are right with your formula. You have to balance what your priorities are. For us (and everyone) price is obviously a concern, so we create these videos in-house. That means we lose some quality - but we have actually found that to be an advantage as it gives us an authentic feel that our consumers embrace.

Hey Alex, we have not had any wireless mic's that work well, so we only use lapel mic's (with an extension cord that you can pick up at Radio Shack if you need). The wireless always seem to pickup interference at our dealerships...

I made this video as a test in our Service Department at about 7:30pm (Reason for the bad lighting).

Originally I used our Flip Mino for everything, but it was very shaky and didn't seem right.

We also have a Canon A530 we use for digital stills that has video capability.

I had Kevin holding the Flip Mino as I did the wide shot with the Canon.

Then I edited everything together using the Flip simply as a microphone.

I'd be interested in some opinions or suggestions.

YouTube - RX8 Walkaround by Kevin Dogherty for Werner Mazda

We also did a "Why buy from us" video that we've added to our AutoTrader Used cars. YouTube - Werner Dealerships - Why buy from us

If you want to see what happens when I'm left alone with footage and time, click this link.

YouTube - Funniest car commercial EVER!

Just wondering if anyone had a chance to check out our videos.

I'd love to get some feedback :)

-Bobby

Allot of good posts and ideas. We are also looking to work on the video aspect of the internet. We just recently set up our own You Tube channel and are about to fall head first into putting a ton of videos online. Not sure how I am going to find the time but will see! No matter what I know it is a good idea to try and find a way to bring video into your process. Just finding the best/most cost effecient/timely way to do so is the trick!

One thing we did was to pull in videos from Chevys You Tube channels. It gives some other content video that I think will help. ie Onstar, competetive videos etc...

Last edited:
We recently upgraded from a Flip camera to a decent Canon memory stick camcorder and a wireless mic. It made a world of difference mainly in the audio quality. I shoot the videos for my salesmen, so we use a 2 man crew. I also do a little editing on the video to add an opening and closing as well as some titles. With a little practice these videos can be cranked out in short order. I insist that the salesmen do the videos without cuts and without notes. We are improving everyday and having fun doing the videos. I want the videos to look better than your average home video, but not like they came from a production company.

Take a look at:

Vehicle Video Walkarounds - Taylor's Auto Max - Great Falls, Montana

YouTube - TaylorsAutoMax's Channel

Your videos are great!! We are doing them too, and getting better and better each day. What is the model of the camcorder you are using?